'92 notch 347 stroker

1strike

Established Member
Just bought a '92 coupe with a freshly built 347 stroker, AFR heads, all the good stuff putting 400 to the wheels. Engine has no miles on it.....I need to transport it from L.A. to Arizona. My friend whom I bought the car off of said its really up in the air on whether or not there would put any damage to the car if I drove it back on a freshly built engine.

Any tips or suggestions from you guys would be helpful.....thnx

scottL

Established Member
i would get a rental car for $17 a day and a friend who could drive you to LA then rent a box van and car hauler from the local uhaul one way. (roughly $400)
load the car up and drive it home with your buddy in tow to make sure the rental doesn't get beat on too much.
that's what i did:
image_zpsac2f15f1.gif

DailyDriver

Established Member
how do you know it makes 400 hp if its never ran??? If it really has 0 miles then yes have it towed or trailered. With new engines you want to do 2 oil changes one at 100 miles then at 200 miles this cleans anything out of the engine and so you can check to see if anythings going wrong ie. metal shaveings , coolent, gas. If something is going to go wrong it will happen pretty quick and make sure to prime the oil pump before first fireing the engine. But after 200 miles the piston rings should be fully seated and you can punch the pedle to the floor, not before.

should have your friend drive it around 200 miles like a grandma so you can drive it back :burnout:

1strike

Established Member
how do you know it makes 400 hp if its never ran??? If it really has 0 miles then yes have it towed or trailered. With new engines you want to do 2 oil changes one at 100 miles then at 200 miles this cleans anything out of the engine and so you can check to see if anythings going wrong ie. metal shaveings , coolent, gas. If something is going to go wrong it will happen pretty quick and make sure to prime the oil pump before first fireing the engine. But after 200 miles the piston rings should be fully seated and you can punch the pedle to the floor, not before.

should have your friend drive it around 200 miles like a grandma so you can drive it back :burnout:

Well it was putting more to the wheels but that was before he took off the turbo. I was there with the first engine he had at Fontana speedway. That was when he took my '03 cobra EASILY. That was one engine ago. This here engine....was reinforced with better internals. He saved me from buying another car that was no where near worth the cash I was spending. Long time friend I grew up with.....known him for 20+ yrs....has never done me wrong with my past mustangs. Taking off the turbo.....I'm getting it for $7,000. Good deal if you ask me.

On the flip side.....not my car. It's the wife's. I might just let her keep the '03 snake and let me stay with the coupe.

Thnx for the sound advice bro. I'm going to grandma it to work every day for about two weeks or so.

Users who are viewing this thread