900 HP Mclaren 720 S making back to back 1/4 mile passes

2002c5coupe

Established Member
Have they changed the rules on required safety equipment for cars running sub 12s?

I remember them being so strict on roll bars and SFI equipment and now it seems as though anything goes.

Cars have gotten crazy fast within the last 10 years. It’s hard to imagine where they’ll be in another 10 years.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Have they changed the rules on required safety equipment for cars running sub 12s?

I remember them being so strict on roll bars and SFI equipment and now it seems as though anything goes.

Cars have gotten crazy fast within the last 10 years. It’s hard to imagine where they’ll be in another 10 years.

I could be wrong, but I've never heard anyone complain about getting booted from a track for running sub 12s because they didn't have extra equipment. Maybe in 1970. Lol

Sub 12s nowadays just means you drive a V6 Camry haha.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Some tracks are pretty aggressive about helmets and having passengers in the car for sub 14s.

Wow. I ran a 7.30 in the 1/8th in shorts and a t-shirt (needless to say no helmet) with a passenger!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wow. I ran a 7.30 in the 1/8th in shorts and a t-shirt (needless to say no helmet) with a passenger!
Back in the day when I used to frequent the drag strip on T&T nights, my buddy had his bike and his GF liked to ride with me. I would pull my helmet off and let out as soon as I ran out 3rd gear. The car would roll through at a 14.08 almost every single time.

I was warned probably 5 times that if I went 13.99 or quicker with her in the car and without helmets that they would ask me to leave.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Back in the day when I used to frequent the drag strip on T&T nights, my buddy had his bike and his GF liked to ride with me. I would pull my helmet off and let out as soon as I ran out 3rd gear. The car would roll through at a 14.08 almost every single time.

I was warned probably 5 times that if I went 13.99 or quicker with her in the car and without helmets that they would ask me to leave.

That's crazy. A 7.30 in the 1/8th is still knocking on low 11s through the 1/4. Plus I was carrying almost 100MPH at the end, with a very sketchy shutdown.

I'm glad our tracks aren't strict.

mrlrd1

Established Member

Yes. Years ago.

I could be wrong, but I've never heard anyone complain about getting booted from a track for running sub 12s because they didn't have extra equipment. Maybe in 1970. Lol.

Perhaps that's true in your area where the track techs had more beers for breakfast than teeth in their mouth. But for the civilized parts of the country, NHRA/IHRA safety requirements are enforced.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Yes. Years ago.

Perhaps that's true in your area where the track techs had more beers for breakfast than teeth in their mouth. But for the civilized parts of the country, NHRA/IHRA safety requirements are enforced.

Nice jab, but both of our local tracks are IHRA sanctioned (according to their websites anyway).

2002c5coupe

Established Member
Yes. Years ago.

This list of rules looks like it was published in 2015, and looks similar to what I remember. I was just wondering if they created a new loophole for all of these factory cars running 9s and 10s. You know they don’t have the safety equipment, and most likely don’t have NHRA licenses.

http://i29dragway.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Basic-NHRA-Safety-Rules.pdf[/QUOTE]

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Nice runs, Hennessey can get it going 7's though, lol.

08 and newer vehicles require less safety equipment. Helmet for 13.99 and faster, 11.99 (I think) needs fire jacket, then think you're good until 9.99.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Aren’t factory vehicles usually exempt from some of the rules?

I’m pretty sure I’d get flamed (pun) pretty hard if I showed up in a fire jacket in a stock GT500 or HellCat... maybe not... dunno.

Z06

Established Member
That seemed pretty uneventful! Fast car but the video seems boring. I’m confused...

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I could be wrong, but I've never heard anyone complain about getting booted from a track for running sub 12s because they didn't have extra equipment. Maybe in 1970. Lol

Sub 12s nowadays just means you drive a V6 Camry haha.

Ummmm, it's pretty common. I remember a prime example, and this was 15 years ago, but was a built GN. He would trip the lights, inch forward on green, wait 4-5 seconds, launch, and trap 140mph, but with a time of like 14.1. :)

The car in the video, had to be a private track rental.

Users who are viewing this thread