9" rear axle upgrade options- opinions

scholle

Established Member
Anyone running a 9" axle?
I have looked around several sites, IE Moser, Strange, FRPP *Cobrjet* , Currie etc.
What I have not found is any real reference to them, what they like and dont like, fitment issues, etc.
I want to retain the factory ABS and brakes. I like the CJ but not sure if ABS will work with it. I will also need a drive shaft but that isnt an issue since it will be replacing the stock one.

I prefer to have have supporting mods in place prior to needing them if at all possible.Things like this can be in place and any kinks worked out before hand.
I have lots going on as far as increasing power in the very near future * engine build started, forced induction, trans upgrades conv, clutches,shaft etc*.
I'm not interested in spending money twice... Like upgrading the 8.8 with axles,gears, carriers, welding tubes, adding supports etc to get where it might not hold up. I have seen many 8.8's fail even with upgraded parts, but very few well built 9"s.
I understand many may consider it overkill but thats just me.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/05-07mustang9in.aspx just an example.

D1coyote

Established Member
I've had a Moser and Strange 9" rear in my old 05 GT. Both worked fine but the Strange was a little better quality in my opinion. ABS can be retained with either if you choose, you just need to specify when ordering. Cobra Jet rear is manufactured by Strange. Car was a manual and the 9" ended up being a necessity but a well built 8.8 will take serious abuse in an automatic. I've been cutting mid 1.30's for a long time and now I'm in the 1.26 to 1.27 range @ 3,820 lbs race weight. Strange 9" ends, 35 spline axles, spool, welded tubes, 5/8" studs and CHE brace/ girdle kit. None of the options are cheap. There are plenty of people in X275 and Mean Street still running 8.8's.

Last edited:

scholle

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.
I read that strange made the CJ but they aren't sold as such.
The only drawback I see is my watts link won't fit on the 9" but that's not a big deal really. I like it but I'm not a corner carver.
For me the total cost isn't the big issue. Spending wisely is.
If I run across a deal on a 8.8 and parts I might still keep it but it would have to be a very good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread