9" in a 98 Cobra

LordofChaos

My WS6 sucks
Established Member
anyone on here done this? i'm sure people have, i tried doin a search but it didnt find anything.

is there any kits available for this? direct bolt in style? the rearend in the cobra is toast, so thinking to upgrade to a 9" since it needs a fullllll rebuild.

is there any site selling said kit as well? looked around couldnt find anything, they all just have stuff to beef up the 8.8

Mhissticobra

Established Member
Every time I get in my car there is a 9" in my Cobra :lol1: - sorry, someone had to say it.

But really, I have never heard of anybody doing this. But I'm sure it's possible.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Mhissticobra said:
Every time I get in my car there is a 9" in my Cobra :lol1: - sorry, someone had to say it.
Boooo haha
I would deffinitly look at Currie, they seem to be a good company from what I have seen on the net and in mags

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Why bother? 8.8's have held 1400+ HP without issue. 9" rears eat power, and Lord knows 4.6 Cobra's aren't torque-monsters that'll overcome that easily.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
Why bother? 8.8's have held 1400+ HP without issue. 9" rears eat power, and Lord knows 4.6 Cobra's aren't torque-monsters that'll overcome that easily.
Well said ....8.8 is good eneough

fourvalvegt

Established Member
currie makes a kit for our cars, i have seen one in a 03 cobra and its really well built, its only worth it if you do some hardcore racing

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
detroit locker and 31 spline strange axles and you're done.

get the axles tubes welded, and possibly braced if you think you're really gonna abuse it.

a 9 inch is a ton more unsprung weight, and it will have more losses, even if its only 3%. There is really no reason to have a 9 inch in a street modular mustang.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i bought a rear end axle assembly out of a 01GT with brakes included; rotor to rotor for $400. Turned around and sold the good axles out of my stock housing for 100$.

Just look around, you can find a rearend out of a car complete for cheap. The crosspin on mine broke while i was cruising down the highway doing 90mph. Locked up the rear tires for a split second and the ring gear started eating through the diff cover. Not fun at 2am...

Users who are viewing this thread