8lb lower?

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
So I want more boost. I currently have a 4lb lower. I've heard an 8lb lower isn't very reliable for daily use? Why is this?

My current mods are 4lb lower, long tubes/ full exhaust, intake, diablosport tune, tr6 plugs.

My tune is to the leanest point on the diablosport and pulling 11.3 a/f so I have lots of room to add fuel. Its also on +4* of added timing. 93 octane.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
I have a 8lb lower on mine, however its not daily driven. However drivabilty is fine. I am nearing maxing my AFM out however and thats the next upgrade I will be doing. Tuner still says their is lots of fuel left. I am also on 91 octane and put down 420/436 on a Dyno Dynamic's this summer and am tuned at 10.8-11.0 for A/F. I wanted to leave a little room in the tune for safety. Car ran 11.9's at 119mph( with 8lb lower, intake and diablo tune) before the new tune which picked up 30rwhp and I had also added an exhaust as well since those numbers were put down by the original owner.

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
Holy shit! How will I know when the AFM is maxed out?

So with the mods I have, but a 8lb lower I can break into the 11's? I was hoping for 12.99 with what I have now. My truck has 28" grag radials for the track.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Holy shit! How will I know when the AFM is maxed out?

So with the mods I have, but a 8lb lower I can break into the 11's? I was hoping for 12.99 with what I have now. My truck has 28" grag radials for the track.

read the voltage on your diablo tuner. Shouldnt go above 4.7 volts. All these cars are built different and depends on the driver what you run.

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
read the voltage on your diablo tuner. Shouldnt go above 4.7 volts. All these cars are built different and depends on the driver what you run.

Eh..how do I find this out? Lol I've just been playing with the spark advance and WOT fuel.

While I'm at it, what changes have you made using the diablosport for things like shift firmness, and other things to help at the track?

So an 8lb lower should be fine for street and track use? I'll tune it conservative.

Also, I have the stock upper, which I'll leave alone. I hear using a lower pulley from a Cobra works better?

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
An eight pound lower is quite dangerous. Our stock rods are like twigs. If I were you, I would work on the rest of your combo before adding excessive boost. My friend Hammer runs stock pullies, yet has his truck in the 12.5s. He is working on lowering that mark. Adding boost is simple. Making the combo work is a great challenge. And a wiser move.

Jim

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Should have read the forum a little closer LOL. I have a 03 cobra not a lightening LOL. That what I get for not looking more closely as I was just looking at recent posts not by the forum it was in.

I wouldnt play around with the values in the diablo unless you know what your doing and also know how its affecting your a/f ratios. The AFM values you will see under the data log tables- voltage should be below 5 but in my mind I like to keep less than 4.7.

Dusten

Established Member
I dont know anyone with an 8lb lowerr on a stock motor at all. The eaton will build so much heat at that point that detonation will be eminent. If you want more power, get a good tune. If you want to go faster get your suspension set up, get a vb, converter, a good tune, a 6lb lower and run the piss out of it.

soccman

Established Member
there are a few guys out there pushing 8lbers on stock motors how ever they are on borrowed time and def not many if any DDs out there that aren't "built". I have a dyno tune on a 6lber along with a Diablosport MAFia, I'm expecting mid to low 12s on my set-up on street tires. I think you will get alot more out of a 6lb set-up on stock block bro... you can go full bolt on with a good tune into the 11s with ease man.

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
Ok thank fella's! Ill grab a 6lb lower and stay safe lol.

I was also wondering, what valve bodies work great? I know of 1 but iirc it was like $1200 new, can't remember the name.

Dusten

Established Member
i doubt you were looking at a valve body for that kind of money....
They usually run 200-250. If i were home i'd have one for sale out of my old tranny.
Im not sure what site sponsors sell them, but Paul the Punisher is the favorite on other sites.

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
Wow, that'll be my next mod then.

A buddy of mine said to add a stall convertor also, but I'm new to autos and not sure if a stall would be good for the trans as my DD.

Lastly, why is a 6lb lower from a cobra better to use than a lightning 6lb lower? I know its less belt slip but why is this?

Thanks

Dusten

Established Member
Im not sure who told you a 6lb lower from a cobra is better. a 6lb lower from a cobra may not even be the same size. The reason is produces 6lb of boost is due to the ratio it creates between the upper and lower pullies. Just get a 6lb lower for an L, it works just fine. You will not experience any belt slip from just a 6lb lower, its a larger pulley and it creates more belt contact area. A higher stall is just fine in the trans as a dd, get something like a 2400rpm stall from circle d. The converter is 600-700 and if you can't do the install expect to pay another 500 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread