89 vs 96 cobra

sweeperstang

new to the "SVT" world
Established Member
i know this is an sn section but yall are firmiliar with the 5.0 and the 4.6 so . . . I have an 89 coupe five-0 stock bottem end , f-303 cam, ported e7s stock valves, cobra/gt40 intake, stock rockers, 24#injestors, 73m c&l mass, cone filter on end of mass air underdrive pullies, mac equal shorties, modded pypes x pipe, fx mufflers (same as flowasters),96 saleen tailpipes 373 gear maximum motorsports lower control arms. and soon to have custom sub frame connectors. oh and a STOCK throttle body. i want to out run my friends 96 cobra, my car seems held back right now though. ive been told by a couple of people that i desperatly need a throttle body. ive been told that my throttle response will greatly be improved once i get like a 70 mm TB. this is what one of my friends told me : your car wants to breath through a 2 inch radiator hose but your forcing it to suck through a half inch bypass hose. i know this is a little out of proportion but do yall think this is what is holding my motor back? it pulls good off the lie but i seems like it should be making alot more on the midrange and top end. thanks for taking the time to read, any input would would be greatly helpful!!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
well anytime you change the intake/ add a cam/ or port or change the heads, or even do all at the same time. a throttle body is recomended

Yes a throttle body will give you more hp, my guess is around 10ish hp if you have a mild h/c/i setup.

One of mynext performance mods is a 70mm throttle body.

a 5.0 is a 5.0, if you like everything you did on the fox, it will work just as well or better on the 5.0 cobra.

BTW have you had any problems with the U/C pullies yet?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
any problems in general, i have heard of idle problems, and when you idle allthe lights dim a little. Cause i am thinking about getting some march performance pulleys

sweeperstang

new to the "SVT" world
Established Member
they may but it shouldnt be a problem on your car i got the bbks my dad and i had thm both of course i chose the polished bbksbut im like 98%sure that they are the same size anyway.but with my car not having a tune its kinda rough in the mornings anyway. but once it warms up theres not really a problem. it run fine last night, i was messing with the lights especially last night , i installed a new set of fogs on the car.i did however fry a fuse link recently but it wasnt cause of the pullies . .

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
thanks man, probably im going with a 70mm throttle body and underdrive pullies, then i am done for a while with performance. then i can start saving for 98 cobra rims

97SVT#777

Established Member
The stock tb is holding you back a little bit, but maybe 15hp tops. Unless you have some special combo and tune I don't know about, that f cam is way too big. I think you would be better off with a b cam. Will still pull in more air than your heads can handle and lower lift would create more velocity helping more air get in the chamber. I'm no expert so take it with a grain of sand.

Users who are viewing this thread