89 GT ACT Clutch Kit and Cobra brake questions

torchmedia

Established Member
Hi, I just bought my first fox, a built 89 GT that has an ACT clutch kit and a Cobra Disc upgrade, among other things. I have a few questions, hoping you can help.

1. You almost have to stand on the clutch pedal. It's hard. Is this a traight of the ACT clutch kit, or should I look for issues? I have an adjustable clutch quadrant, but it seems to be setup fine.

2. My Cobra disc brake upgrade isn't anything to brag about. In fact, I find the stopping power to be unremarkable. Do I need to upgrade something else, like that brake booster, to make better use of these discs?

Thanks.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
2. My Cobra disc brake upgrade isn't anything to brag about. In fact, I find the stopping power to be unremarkable. Do I need to upgrade something else, like that brake booster, to make better use of these discs?

Thanks.

Do you know the specifics of what is installed with your setup?

What year front cobra setup?

Rear drum? Or sn95 rear disks too?

What mc booster combo?

I'd venture to guess you still have stock booster, or incorrect mc.

With 94-98 cobra brakes up front and any sn95 rear setup, the 94-94 cobra mc is the ideal mc.

With 99-04 cobra front brakes and any sn95 rear disk , the 93 cobra 1" bore mc would be ideal

All setups should run the larger 1993 cobra booster or 94-95 booster.

The above is as close to factory as you can get on a fox. Some guys mix and match, and the results can be less than ideal

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

torchmedia

Established Member
Do you know the specifics of what is installed with your setup?

What year front cobra setup?

Rear drum? Or sn95 rear disks too?

What mc booster combo?

I'd venture to guess you still have stock booster, or incorrect mc.

With 94-98 cobra brakes up front and any sn95 rear setup, the 94-94 cobra mc is the ideal mc.

With 99-04 cobra front brakes and any sn95 rear disk , the 93 cobra 1" bore mc would be ideal

All setups should run the larger 1993 cobra booster or 94-95 booster.

The above is as close to factory as you can get on a fox. Some guys mix and match, and the results can be less than ideal

It looks like I have a stock GT/LX booster and a 93 cobra mc.

I'm not what version of cobra brakes I have, but it does have the rear setup as well. Are they some identifiers I can look for?

Mustang5L5

Established Member
To identify the front caliper, pull the wheel off and see if you can see the piston cylinders.

94-98 versions have ribbing, while 99-04 versions do not.

501bfbac6a6524c18d776058c15e5ecb.jpg

Red caliper above is 94-98 and black is 99-04. Difference is piston size. Early cobra calipers use 38mm pistons while later use 40mm. That slight difference does make a change in pedal feel depending on the mc you use.

Out back, all sn95s use a 38mm piston, so doesn't matter if GT or cobra rear brakes.

I'd recommend swapping the booster. It's not that bad to do really. Trim the studs slightly, and slot the firewall holes.

As for mc advice, I'll wait Til you can confirm what calipers are up front

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dig Race

Established Member
I have a spec stage 2+ and it's a firm pedal but not crazy. Try a new clutch cable and check the routing of it, also check your clutch fork the throw out bearing and the bearing retainer sleeve

Users who are viewing this thread