87 in a 55....

bolinger06

Established Member
Pretty mad at myself for not being more aware of who i was around. I turn right onto a highway and i check my rearview mirror like normal and see some car trying to catch up to me. It was a civic so i didn't even look again, then i came up to a red light and there was an 05' GT in the lane next to me and I looked the car over and u could barely see in the windows. Had dark dark tint and the guy never looked over at me. Well i had forgot about the guy trying to catch me but right when the light turned green i started to go and i looked in my rearview mirror again the civic was almost touching my bumper so i shift into second and put some distance between us and then shift to third and by then he jumped in the next lane and tried flying by me and I was at the bottom of third and decided just to stay there and he started waving by to me like he was gonna kill me. I finally get into boost and started pulling on him and then all of the sudden he locked up his breaks, i was scanning the area and look in the rearview mirror again and the 05'GT lit us up and got both of us. He was pretty cool, no yelling or nething. He said we can consider that drag racing cant we and i said ya and he's like so what were ya doin?? I told him something stupid and he laughed and said ya and said to hold tight. He gave us both a break and we got tickets for an 87 in a 55. Just makes me mad cause I knew Indiana was getting 20-25 unmarked GT's, just didn't use common sense when I should have. I called who i was suppose to and it's gonna be $320 for it and thats it. I asked him about defensive driving and he said to call the BMV. My question is is that all i have to do? He wasn't very helpfull at all with any questions I had. I figured anything 30 over would be more than just paying a fine and being done. My ticket doesn't say anything about wreckless driving or anything so i'm guessing that wont be on my record. This is my first ticket that will be on my record and i'm not going to fight it since he gave me a break the first time around. Thanks, Brady

69mach03

Established Member
Shew, 32 mph over the limit and that was a break? eh In Delaware it states: Speeding 20 MPH or more over posted limit is worth 5 points and may result in additional actions including suspension. Also, completion of a defensive driving course grants you in two ways -- an discount on your insurance premiums, and a deduction of "points" set upon your drivers license by any and all accumulated traffic violations. However, whenever a person receives their "first" traffic violation, they can plead guilty with PBJ (probation before judgement). The judge will set a specific time period (typically a month, six months, or 1 year -- depending on the severity of the offense) in which you, the driver, must go without another traffic violation. If you do, however, receive an additional traffic violation in that set time period, you must face all points, fines, and additional consequences of both offenses. I'm unsure on how Indiana compares with that of Delaware's department of motor vehicle.

How old are you anyhow?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Man you are lucky. I did a little research on indiana and he could have written you up for reckless and/or agressive driving as well. Those two charges seem to be subjective however since I can't find a set speed where reckless is attached (virginia anything more than 20 over, or 80 on a highway regardless of speed limit for example is reckless). All Indiana law says is "unreasonable speed that put life or property in danger". there is nothing that I can find on mandatory court dates either. From the looks of it do as you were told and call the BMV and ask them if you can take defensive driving.

divided

Established Member
You got lucky! I got popped for a 108 in a 65 and got bent over. It was completly my fault on a nearly empty freeway late at night. I ended up with 2 points, 1,000 dollar fine, 16 hour traffic school, and suspended license. I thought I was lucky for not getting towed/arrested. I guess its all subjective, but one things for sure, you got lucky.

EVO-lution

Established Member
wow i got pulled over doing 110+ in a 40mph workzone. got arrested for wreckless driving and high speed contest. both misdemeanors were dropped and I payed a $200 fine with 100hrs Community service. you lucked out i guess for your state laws.

I know now in NY if they suspect your racing or if you're doing a certain speed they can impound your car with probable cause. thats why I been fighting to get my Foxbody out since oct. 2006

bolinger06

Established Member
Ya i completely understand my mistake, I got real lucky. The situation couldn't have been better for getting introuble though. We took off from the light so we were at low speeds when we started so they weren't able to reach higher speeds since he pulled us over right away. We were the only cars besides the cop anywhere close to us, and the cop wasn't from the area, guessing he was just passing through on his way somewhere. I found out we have one burgandy mustang for the huntington area and that one was dark blue. I was respectful and I think it helped that I didn't have any tickets on my record. Guess i made the first one count though, haha. Thanks for all the answers, very helpful. By the way, cars for sale on ebay right now, i have an ad in the "Marketplace". Insurance is gonna kill me since i just bought my first house. Thanks guys

MoreBoostPlease

Lifted and Boosted
Established Member
Pretty mad at myself for not being more aware of who i was around. I turn right onto a highway and i check my rearview mirror like normal and see some car trying to catch up to me. It was a civic so i didn't even look again, then i came up to a red light and there was an 05' GT in the lane next to me and I looked the car over and u could barely see in the windows. Had dark dark tint and the guy never looked over at me. Well i had forgot about the guy trying to catch me but right when the light turned green i started to go and i looked in my rearview mirror again the civic was almost touching my bumper so i shift into second and put some distance between us and then shift to third and by then he jumped in the next lane and tried flying by me and I was at the bottom of third and decided just to stay there and he started waving by to me like he was gonna kill me. I finally get into boost and started pulling on him and then all of the sudden he locked up his breaks, i was scanning the area and look in the rearview mirror again and the 05'GT lit us up and got both of us. He was pretty cool, no yelling or nething. He said we can consider that drag racing cant we and i said ya and he's like so what were ya doin?? I told him something stupid and he laughed and said ya and said to hold tight. He gave us both a break and we got tickets for an 87 in a 55. Just makes me mad cause I knew Indiana was getting 20-25 unmarked GT's, just didn't use common sense when I should have. I called who i was suppose to and it's gonna be $320 for it and thats it. I asked him about defensive driving and he said to call the BMV. My question is is that all i have to do? He wasn't very helpfull at all with any questions I had. I figured anything 30 over would be more than just paying a fine and being done. My ticket doesn't say anything about wreckless driving or anything so i'm guessing that wont be on my record. This is my first ticket that will be on my record and i'm not going to fight it since he gave me a break the first time around. Thanks, Brady

Why would you race a civic?:bash::shrug:

bolinger06

Established Member
just a little heads up, i did some research on my county and it seems as though i might be able to get the deferral program. I called the prosecutors office today and the lady told me to bring in my ticket and the prosecutor will look at my bmv record and make a decision. I believe anything 26mph and over it is up to them. My record is clean besides an at fault accident leaving work. I haven't had a ticket on my record for the 5 years ive been driving so hopefully he's in a good mood tomorrow.

69deluxe

07 GT500
Established Member
just a little heads up, i did some research on my county and it seems as though i might be able to get the deferral program. I called the prosecutors office today and the lady told me to bring in my ticket and the prosecutor will look at my bmv record and make a decision. I believe anything 26mph and over it is up to them. My record is clean besides an at fault accident leaving work. I haven't had a ticket on my record for the 5 years ive been driving so hopefully he's in a good mood tomorrow.

I'm not an LEO.

What county? In Marion county they don't allow the deferral program for 26+ over. Good luck! Also, check with your insurance because taking a defensive driving course (while it reduces your points) doesn't necessarily reduce your rates. I have State Farm and they said that when they run their yearly record check, the ticket will show up and that they base there fees on the presence of the ticket, not points and driving classes. Again, just what I heard from my agent.

I recently had a similar experience (wasn't drag racing though, but had a brief desire to hear the supercharger. Wrong place, wrong time). I was 36 over on I465 (Indianapolis) and received a $169 ticket. It's also worth 6 points automatically. I consider myself lucky too, it could have been a lot worse. But courtesy and having a clean record seemed to help. My advice would be to man up, pay it, and learn from the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread