85GT 5-lug disc conversion

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Hey all, I'm building an 85GT street/strip car and I'm going to do a 5-lug 4-wheel disc conversion on it. :rockon: Gathering from what I've researched, I can use the brakes from an SN95 car, i.e. Front spindles, calipers, rotors, Rear caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, dust shields, and moan brackets. I've also read that I will need the SN booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. Is there anything else you can tell me about this swap? Any little tricks I need to know about? I've researched the hell out of it and I think I have everything I need, but I wanted to post up here and get some advice from the experts. :thumbsup: Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. BTW I didn't know where to post this so I figured the Fox Cobra section would work. If it's not the right spot, flame away.....:burn:

Thanks guys,
Jason

asperformance

Banned
I have done the swap on 2 85's you DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT need to change the Booster, Perportiniong Valve, or the Master cylinder. The early V8 cars, meaning 85 and 86, ran the bigger Master cylinder. and the 85 Valve works great, The 2 85's I have done both had 03 Anniversary calipers Front and rear. It you look at all the 87 to 90 Saleen mustangs, they all ran the 85/86 Steel Mastercylinder, I think Saleen went the the new Mastercylinder in 91 but also installed the motorsport Firewall Valve at the passengerside hood hinge. I hope this has helped, if you have any questions please give me a call. 910-224-3500 you can ask for Aaron, My 79 also has full 01 Bullitt brake conversion. So I have done this a few times. Thanks again.

87vertgt

Da Bears!
Established Member
I have done the swap on 2 85's you DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT need to change the Booster, Perportiniong Valve, or the Master cylinder. The early V8 cars, meaning 85 and 86, ran the bigger Master cylinder. and the 85 Valve works great, The 2 85's I have done both had 03 Anniversary calipers Front and rear. It you look at all the 87 to 90 Saleen mustangs, they all ran the 85/86 Steel Mastercylinder, I think Saleen went the the new Mastercylinder in 91 but also installed the motorsport Firewall Valve at the passengerside hood hinge. I hope this has helped, if you have any questions please give me a call. 910-224-3500 you can ask for Aaron, My 79 also has full 01 Bullitt brake conversion. So I have done this a few times. Thanks again.

good stuff......

not a tough deal...I did two swaps...

rear is easy....

Get the alingment done........

also are you installed lowering springs or stock springs?

stock springs can be tricky.....

Users who are viewing this thread