83 mph in a 40!......

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Yo...what a close one! A couple of weeks ago I was following a guy on one of the 2 lane blacktop roads in the Bremerton area. This guy was anywhere from 5-10 miles an hour below the speed limit for about 10 miles. Finally there was an opening to pass so I pulled into the other lane, down shifted to second gear and stomped it. As the Kenne Bell kicked in and the Bassani's started to scream, an oncoming car appears around the curve. As I was about even with the car I was passing, I realized the oncoming car was a cop so I quickly shut it down and went ahead of the car I was passing. As I pulled in front of the car, the cop turned on his lights so I quickly pulled over. The cop pulls a u-turn and pulls up behind me. His first words were, "why are you passing so quickly? I clocked you when you pulled in front of the other car at 83 mph....the speed limit is 40". My first thought was I am glad he clocked me after I backed it off. My second thought was there goes my insurance. I told him that, "this guy had been going real slow for several miles and I finally got a chance to pass". I sort of added that when I began to pass the other guy sped up.... "so when I saw the oncoming car, which turned out to be you, I wanted to get around him as fast as possibl". He responded, "even though you were passing, 83 in a 40 is excessive and if I wrote you a ticket I can guarranty it will stick. However, it is Friday, I'm just starting my beat, you are headed home, how about if I just leave it as a warning? Your car looks just as fast going the speed limit as it does when it is not....be careful". Chalk one up for our law enforcers!!!!

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
You're telling me. I forgot to mention that it was really embarrasing in that behind me, before I passed, was a silver 99 or 2000 Cobra. He probably thought I was toast!

whitelx

Established Member
Yell98CobraVert said:
You're telling me. I forgot to mention that it was really embarrasing in that behind me, before I passed, was a silver 99 or 2000 Cobra. He probably thought I was toast!
You mean 99 or 01. ;-)
-whitelx

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
WOW i bet it was fun though...but im sure ur used to the speed what kind of numbers u get outta that thing

whippleblown03

Established Member
you pulled over right away and didnt argue! i think that goes along ways with some cops. when i am i had i admit it! been let off every time so far! never admit guilt just say " you got me "

C Weil

Established Member
Sexist, mean? I don't know. Get a ticket? That sucks! I've yet to get a woman cop, but I've heard they can be tough.

Man, vert, all I can say to that is "g'damn, your engine bay is beautifully clean". I couldn't stop staring. You do a great job keeping it clean!

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
yea i keep getting an extension cuz as soon as i pay i know somthing expensive will hit me.

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
05 windveil blu said:
WOW i bet it was fun though...but im sure ur used to the speed what kind of numbers u get outta that thing

Sorry...since I installed the Kenne Bell I have not had it dynoed. I do know that I need wider rear tires!

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Man, vert, all I can say to that is "g'damn, your engine bay is beautifully clean". I couldn't stop staring. You do a great job keeping it clean![/QUOTE]

Thanks! My 98 Cobra is just a nice sunny weekend driver...around 23,400 miles on it. I really like the looks of that year of engine, so I enjoy keeping it in show room condition.

Last edited:

ccjcobra99

Established Member
whitelx said:
You mean 99 or 01. ;-)
-whitelx

Actually you mean 01. '99 Cobra color options were: white,black,red, funny green color.

Yell98CobraVert - Same sort of thing has happenned to me before. Always go along way to be polite.

Users who are viewing this thread