820a or 821a

jay38372

Established Member
Ok i have a question for those who have both, is the track/performance pkg really necessary if the car will not even see a track unless its at a Shelby reunion or Ford gathering? I ordered a decked out grey 2014 821A minus the shaker pro but I'm looking and thinking say 5-10 years down the road about parts availability. Or should i change the order and order a decked out 820A knowing that I'll be lowering the car with springs and shocks or even coilovers? I've gone over this in my mind for about a week now and i thought I'd throw the question out there and get some input from you guys.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
If you are going to mod the suspension why bother paying for theirs? just get the base and use the extra cash for mods

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I see no reason to buy those packages if you arn't going to track the car at all, and ESPECIALLY if you plan on changing all the suspension stuff anyway. That's one of the 2 reasons I got the base model: I planned on upgrading to my own suspension choices, and I didn't like the pp wheels (planned on changing those too anyway).

Colleton

Established Member
I didn't get the PP on my '11 and ended up really wishing I had, so I made sure to get it on my '13. It's pretty much a waste as it's a street car / DD and will probably never see a track. ...but at least I no longer have that nagging doubt. So, buy what makes you happy.

My thoughts on the 2 packs for the '13/'14:

1. Only get the PP if you are going to leave the suspension stock. It doesn't make sense to pay for an upgraded OEM suspension only to replace it with aftermarket parts.

2. Only get the TP if you plan on tracking it regularly. It won't do anything for a street car.

3. If you're buying it as an investment, get everything. I don't think it would be a very wise investment, but who knows.

iSpencerPro

Established Member
I'm glad you asked this question cause I have been thinking of the same thing. I like the wheels that come with the PP and I plan to mod the suspension a lot, so I'm kind of curious, does it benefit me to get the pp and the upgrades it comes with(wheels, slip disk differential, etc...) even though I am going to do a lot of suspension mods?
I guess according to these guys, there isn't a benefit in doing this. Soooo saves me a couple bucks cause I wanted to do the mods anyways and I guess I can just buy the wheels from somebody on here or get different ones lol

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I'm glad you asked this question cause I have been thinking of the same thing. I like the wheels that come with the PP and I plan to mod the suspension a lot, so I'm kind of curious, does it benefit me to get the pp and the upgrades it comes with(wheels, slip disk differential, etc...) even though I am going to do a lot of suspension mods?
I guess according to these guys, there isn't a benefit in doing this. Soooo saves me a couple bucks cause I wanted to do the mods anyways and I guess I can just buy the wheels from somebody on here or get different ones lol

you could get similar style wheels for less money....have at it :beer:

Kapy

Established Member
If you are looking to drive the wheels off of this thing then go without the Track Pack.

If you are planning to do track days, go with the Track Pack.

If you are planning to have this thing worth more money in the future, go with the OEM installed packages.

That's how I decided to get the Track Pack.

Track Pack has been around for many, many moons. And if you talk to all the collectors of all Ford product, the hot choices are always the Track Pack cars.

Hope this helps.

iSpencerPro

Established Member
so I went back to ford to see the difference.
~ torsen differential
~ wheels
~ bilstein adjustable dampers
~ unique rear springs
~ unique instrument cluster
~ Unique gear shift knob

So since I plan on putting on springs (the springs don't matter), the shift knob (knob doesn't matter), wheels (so wheels don't matter)

So by not getting the package I'd be missing out of adjustable dampers, torsen differential, and instrument cluster.

So if I'm planning on doing a lot of suspension mods. Does that mean those three things aren't that important?

I do want to be able to change the lights in the dash to blue, is that only possible with the unique instrument cluster(or am I way off???)

Lemers

Established Member
If you mod the suspension you're getting rid of the adjustable dampers.

Even the base has a limited slip differential, just not the torsen differential.

The unique instrument cluster just says STV and has nothing to do with the Color changing interior lighting.

The main reason for the STVPP is for the adjustable suspension.

iSpencerPro

Established Member
You are a saint lemers. Thank you very much for answering those questions =]. Definitely helps me learn all these things; now I know that I won't be getting the pp even though I like the wheels lol. I'll either buy from here or buy some elsewhere that are a little bit wider =].

jay38372

Established Member
You guys are not helping me out here lol, part of me wants the base model and part of me says stick with the plan and get a fully optioned 821a model, the latter being useful if its going to be an investment for me.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
You guys are not helping me out here lol, part of me wants the base model and part of me says stick with the plan and get a fully optioned 821a model, the latter being useful if its going to be an investment for me.

There are some who say "go big or go home". I didn't go this route because cost was a factor AND I have experience with buying a fully loaded car for my wife, who seldom used half of the options.

Examine your history with modifying cars which you've owned in the past; this should help you determine what you'll do with the Shelby. Just buying a base model sets you apart from the crowd. After you get the car, tweak it a bit to your taste and enjoy the hell out of it.

LT5

Established Member
My perspective.
The three must have options are: Svtpp, tp and recaro seats. I will mention the electronics option not as a necessity, but does give a touch of class to the cockpit.

Just watch the SVT video clips and read many of the reviews.
IMHO this car may represent a pinnacle of the American "muscle car". I don't think this car would have been possible without the salesmanship skills of Mr.Shelby. The possibility exists that the next version will be more "polo" instead of brash and in your face American.

If you have the means and plan to keep the car. Why cheat yourself out of the experience Mr.Shelby intended this car to be.
Most of the time, the track options are for bragging rights. So, that's part of the experience.

The Bilstein's, Torsen and Recaro are top shelf parts. You can lower the car with FRPP springs. I read they're compatible with the perf pack. Not a big expense.

Future parts availability ? No crystal ball here. But, Bilstein's can be rebuilt. Many of the interior electronics are shared with the GT. So more spares will be produced.

Good luck with your decision. BTW. I enjoy helping people spend their money..:)

dom418

Established Member
First anyone who adds options to this car for investment purposes needs to go back to school, there will be plenty made over the 2 model years. It's not a limited run of 1000 cars or something, so get options because you want them and will enjoy them. Who knows what the future holds and if they are collectable, it won't be until most of us are using walkers lol.

OP you need to figure out what you want out of the car, if you are going to mod it why pay the money for the suspension upgrade? Spend the money on options you will use. If you don't track it, get the glass roof, recaros and electronics pack. Unless you don't care about the money and just like to tell people you bought the car loaded then check off every option box. Most of the guys who have fully loaded cars will never see the track. I guess they like knowing they have it if needed.

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
You don't have to change the shock/struts if you up grade the suspension. You will hard pressed to find better shocks/struts than the adjustable Bilstein units that come with the PP. Just change out the springs, rear control arms and relocation bracket. For me it was a no brainer to get the PP. I love the wheels, wanted the Torson and the adjustable shocks and steering. I also believe the sway bars are larger diameter. I will do springs and control arms and call it good.

mr 347

Established Member
The Bilstein's, Torsen and Recaro are top shelf parts. You can lower the car with FRPP springs. I read they're compatible with the perf pack. Not a big expense.

)
So are you saying that we can lower these cars without affecting the Performance Pack? They do sit a little high. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread