82 mph in a 45 zone

joeason1010

Banned
Truck cut me off so I sped around him in my lightning I threw my hands up at the driver he shot me the bird so I got on it to get in front of him when I looked across the bridge there he was said he got me 82-45. I told him the guy in the 18 wheeler cut me off and shot me the bird he said "I can only go by what I saw". So I have no points on my record and I am 24 years old should I just pay the shit and leave it be or go to court and fight it?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Truck cut me off so I sped around him in my lightning I threw my hands up at the driver he shot me the bird so I got on it to get in front of him when I looked across the bridge there he was said he got me 82-45. I told him the guy in the 18 wheeler cut me off and shot me the bird he said "I can only go by what I saw". So I have no points on my record and I am 24 years old should I just pay the shit and leave it be or go to court and fight it?

If you go to court to plead not guilty you must have a valid defense. From your story you are guilty and your defense is not a valid defense. You got pissed, raged, and popped.

Good luck.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member

Sucks that it went down that way. I just don't see a Judge/Magistrate siding with you on this one and dismissing it. If I did it I would just take the hit. Shit happens man. It just sucks that it happened to you this time. Good luck getting it taken care of.

Al

jshen

Established Member
Going in excess of 35 over is 6 points here. See OCGA 40-5-57. Expect a huge fine. In GA, it is a misdemeanor type offense and fine could be as high as $1,000.00. See OCGA 17-10-3.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If you go to court to plead not guilty you must have a valid defense. From your story you are guilty and your defense is not a valid defense. You got pissed, raged, and popped.

Good luck.

wait ... are you saying that someone flipping you the bird is not a valid defense for doing 30 over??? dayum .. what's this world coming to ..:dw:

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I would suggest getting a lawyer if you intend to fight it. They can make tickets disappear (*cough* 101 in a 55 *cough*)

joeason1010

Banned
HAHA thanks guys you know what else pisses me off about it is that the ticket says Est 78 radar 82mph how the hell does this happen was I doing 78 in a 45 or 82 in a 45

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
If you can just pay it, then I guess I would, but my friend got a 86 in a 55 a few months ago (second reckless) and got 3 days jail and $1,250 fine. Here you are required to show up to court. If your judicial system is anything like it is here, get a lawyer, a good one. It will be worth it in the hassle you save. My friend thought he could represent himself and regretted it. A lawyer can't always make things go away, but they do a good job usually of not ending the day with you butt-hurt in jail.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
HAHA thanks guys you know what else pisses me off about it is that the ticket says Est 78 radar 82mph how the hell does this happen was I doing 78 in a 45 or 82 in a 45

He put your visually estimated speed and the speed as indicated by his calibrated radar unit. The radar reading is the one that is being charged.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Going in excess of 35 over is 6 points here. See OCGA 40-5-57. Expect a huge fine. In GA, it is a misdemeanor type offense and fine could be as high as $1,000.00. See OCGA 17-10-3.

He told me it would be in my best interest to pay this ticket and not go to court

I dont agree with that statement. As noted above, jshen posted that this is a criminal traffic offense. That means if you pay it you are pleading guilty and will have a criminal conviction on your record. That criminal record will have to be disclosed to future employers, for certain professional licenses, and background investigations. It could easily impact your future in a bad way.

jshen

Established Member
Good Officers are taught to visually estimate AND get radar reading. Notice his estimate is pretty close. The more tickets he writes the better his estimates will become. I use those estimates because with a proven track record of how accurate his estimates are- speeding and speed can be proven by the officer's testimony even if the radar foundation cannot be made. His track record is, in fact, making him an expert witness.

Even though Georgia uses the same punishments and calls traffic offenses misdemeanors- and some felonies, I don't think tickets alone, unless arrest is made, makes it into the criminal database. It is certainly on the license database. I am sure that once a traffic arrest is made- the arrest and booking info-including fingerprints are in the system forever.

Users who are viewing this thread