80 in a 55 in Tennessee...

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
Long story short I was pulled over in the Smoky Mountains for doing 80 in a 55. He was coming around a corner about 200 yards away and got me with radar in my bright blue '09 Subaru WRX. I'm 25, a Georgia resident, and have never been ticketed before so my record is clean in all respects.

Something that may work in my favor... I was a active duty Marine from 2002-2007 and since been contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan. I was home on leave for a friends wedding when I got the citation and at the time of my court date... I will be back in Afghanistan.

Isn't there a rule where once every 5 years or so you can get a ticket annulled? Or with my driving record and current service to my country... will they possibly give me a reprieve?

On an interesting note... I have a concealed carry permit and regularly carry my pistol. When I gave him my license I also told him I had a loaded firearm in the car and handed him my firearms license. He just said "Okay" and walked back to his car. I just thought it was odd he didn't ask where it was or anything.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Long story short I was pulled over in the Smoky Mountains for doing 80 in a 55. He was coming around a corner about 200 yards away and got me with radar in my bright blue '09 Subaru WRX. I'm 25, a Georgia resident, and have never been ticketed before so my record is clean in all respects.

Something that may work in my favor... I was a active duty Marine from 2002-2007 and since been contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan. I was home on leave for a friends wedding when I got the citation and at the time of my court date... I will be back in Afghanistan.

Isn't there a rule where once every 5 years or so you can get a ticket annulled? Or with my driving record and current service to my country... will they possibly give me a reprieve?

On an interesting note... I have a concealed carry permit and regularly carry my pistol. When I gave him my license I also told him I had a loaded firearm in the car and handed him my firearms license. He just said "Okay" and walked back to his car. I just thought it was odd he didn't ask where it was or anything.

If you arent going to pay the ticket and plan on fighting you better contact the clerk of the court and ask to reschedule the hearing for when you are back in the country.

MikeW

Established Member
I say that the court will most likely make you pay court cost, and take a class. If you are not able to attend a class then you make have to pay the ticket and the offense will go on "your record".

In TN you do not have to inform the officer that you are a Handgun permit holder. That may be why he didnt seem concerned when you told him/her.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I had a ticket in TN from when I lived in Georgia. It was a little worse than yours. Since I had a clean driving record, I went to court and pleaded no contest. The judge gave me driving school. I ended up paying more than just the fine on the ticket, but no points.

Users who are viewing this thread