8.8 Rebuild Question

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
Hi All, I’m currently in the middle of 8.8 rebuild for my 1990 F150 and it has not been easy. One of the recent roadblocks that came up this weekend is with one of my bearing caps. One of them is damaged somehow. Dad and I asked around for advice, some said I need a new housing and others said I could be fine.

So last night I bolted the caps on with the carrier bearing races. I barely tightened the passenger side and it was tight didn’t move and seemed to be fine. I torqued the drivers side to 100 ft-lbs and the race doesn’t turn but does move in and out slightly. To me this means the cap is shot. What do y’all think?

Having trouble uploading pictures. Will upload them when I can

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I am Mark Williams fan but for your purposes dime a dozen. Junk yard, build unmounted and pick and choose where you wanna spend money. Just my opinion.

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
Unfortunately what all of y’all are saying is what I was thinking would need to happen.
I saw a set of aftermarket caps that I could buy but from what I’ve read the housing would have to be taken out anyways to machine the new caps?
Appreciate the advice. This rebuild has not been fun.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread