8.8" housing bad?

traub83

Wing Warrior destroyer
Established Member
has anyone ever heard of a 8.8" housing going bad cause of a pinion berring going bad? my rear end locked up on me while pulling out of my driveway thank god i wasnt going 70 lol anyways i took it to a shop and they said my rear end is junk now and it be a lot better to replace it with a different one from junk yard or something. well i had plans to rebuild it anyways so i said hey what if i order you guys new axles, locker, ring and pinion and the kit to do it and get it back on then they decided to tell me the pinion bering went out andrubbed the pinion into the housing and its almost useless and no guarentee that it will work anymore. i personally have never heard of this on anything even the big racers. and im not what you would call an expert on rear ends i know how they work and thats about it. SO i was currious do you think the shop is pullin my leg so they can install a new one and charge me up the arse or can this really happen and is quite common??

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I would say the possibility is there but like you I have never seen it. Had your rearend been making noise prior to lock up?

traub83

Wing Warrior destroyer
Established Member
yes it was doing a howl sound however once i started to hear it i quit driving it i figured the gears were offset or something. so i caled the rear end shop to look at it there like 5 miles from my house so i decided to drive the car there and once i left the driveway boom bye bye rear end...

Users who are viewing this thread