8.8 Diff - Carrier bearings have spun on hub - why???

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
So I'm completely rebuilding my 8.8 diff (2010 Roush Mustang), and noticed that the carrier bearings have spun on hub. The bearing on the ring gear side fell right off when I picked out the carrier from the housing! You can see (in the pic) the hub is all scored up. I ordered a brand new Ford Trac-Loc 31-spline carrier, so it's no big deal.

But I'd like to prevent this from happening on my BRAND NEW CARRIER. Does anyone know why it happened?? I have searched all over and seen other guys commenting about same problem, but I have not yet seen the reason, or solution. Thanks for any help.

carrierhub2.JPG

carrierhub1.JPG

MG0h3

Established Member
Curious what the bearings look like as well.

You should be able to feel if they have a good press going on

I’ve had to use sleeve locker on some old ass ancient box truck but it’s kindof a one and done deal

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
What did the bearings look like?

Curious what the bearings look like as well.
You should be able to feel if they have a good press going on
I’ve had to use sleeve locker on some old ass ancient box truck but it’s kindof a one and done deal.....

Ask and you shall receive. Pic below. I did not mark the bearings, so now I'm not sure which one came from the ring gear side. But BOTH bearings will slip right on and off the hub on the ring gear side, so the hub is clearly worn down quite a bit.

The bearings feel smooth when I put them in the races and roll them by hand. It's an interesting issue. This car makes 625whp, and I know previous owner had slicks on it at least once at a track, so perhaps that was just too much for the Ford carrier. I ordered a brand new Ford Trac-Loc carrier, but I probably should have bought something heavier duty.... but I'm never gonna run slicks so I guess I'll hope for the best. I'd still like to try and minimize the chances of this happening again though.

Click for full size:
carrierhub3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread