75mm t/b will it fit

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Big Ben said:
Just saw your page, what a car! How do you think the TFS heads compare to an AFR 165?

That's kinda like comparing apples to oranges. The real question is, will I ever do enough to my car to require the use of the valve size that a trick flow uses.

Both heads are good heads but in order to run a trickflow with a cam of good size, requires the installation of some specific pistons. If you are never going to go real far with your car than the 165's will do you fine.

FWIW, I have been running AFR 165's for the last 3-4 years on my car. With a b cam my car put down 295/313 to the tires. With a AFM b-31 cam and 14psi they put down 525/532 to the ground.

Now we are going to see what they will do with a ported lower, gasket matched upper, 75mm t/b, and a AFM n-61 cam. I am hoping for at least 325 to the ground ( I sold the blower)

9 deuce gt

Established Member
Are you porting the lower yourself? If not and you are looking for someone to port it, TMOSS did a great job on mine, pretty cheap too. He matched it perfectly to my AFR 165's. Are you going to port the heads at all?

racerbox77

Established Member
Lee just a question. Why did you take the blower off? 525 hp is very respectable. 325 aint no fun if you've had 525. Unless your planning a turbo??? that would be nice...Were you using the stock intakes with that 525hp?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
racerbox..
yes I was using the stock intakes and t/body. Originally I removed the blower to build a turbo kit but had to use the money I received out of the blower for other things. So I decided to put a decent n/a combo together and probably go back to nitrous until I get enough funds together down the road to build a turbo kit.

9duece gt..
Actually a friend of mine whose dad owns a machine shop is going to port match the lower to my AFR 165s and gasket match the lower to upper intake. Hopefully it will get done this week so that I can have the motor ready to put back in the car by Sunday.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
cobra0393 said:
Keep us informed on how it runs. I bet that cam works good with that combo.

Rick says 11.50's on just the motor. I figure 12.0's is more realistic in my full weight car.

9 deuce gt

Established Member
I have been thinking about this for a while, and your thread has spurred more thought. Here's how I see it, and this is in no way dissing your combo or future plans. As a matter of fact, I am hoping you can shed some light on this subject for me.

Afr 165's flow around 250 cfm. The Cobra when mildly ported can flow the same 250 cfm. This seems like a perfect match. Now, if you were to put a Holley or other intake (heavily ported Cobra) that can flow, say 300 cfm on the same 165's that only 250 cfm, would you get more power? Wouldn't the heads have to be ported as well?

What I am getting at here, is are you sure 75mm T/B will perform better than the stock 65mm T/B? I would think the rest of the combo would have to match the flow characteristics of the 75mm T/B. (your combo may, I am just using it as a reference)

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
9 deuce gt said:
I have been thinking about this for a while, and your thread has spurred more thought. Here's how I see it, and this is in no way dissing your combo or future plans. As a matter of fact, I am hoping you can shed some light on this subject for me.

Afr 165's flow around 250 cfm. The Cobra when mildly ported can flow the same 250 cfm. This seems like a perfect match. Now, if you were to put a Holley or other intake (heavily ported Cobra) that can flow, say 300 cfm on the same 165's that only 250 cfm, would you get more power? Wouldn't the heads have to be ported as well?

Not necessarily. Remember that real world flow is also dependent on your cam setup. Don't get stuck on advertised flow numbers. Example of this is the other intakes (such as a trickflow 'R', Systemax, etc) do not make any more power below 6000 rpm as a cobra ported. Above 6500 rpm is a different ball game. Since my engine will be setup to shift below 6500 rpm, I coudn't justify spending 500-600 on an intake that is no better than my OEM one massaged a little.This is why I didn't change intakes. Google it and you will see what I am talking about.
9 deuce gt said:
What I am getting at here, is are you sure 75mm T/B will perform better than the stock 65mm T/B? I would think the rest of the combo would have to match the flow characteristics of the 75mm T/B. (your combo may, I am just using it as a reference)

Am I sure? No. If a man who designed the cam says I have to have a 75mm t/b along with other items, then I am going to use it especially when I am attempting to squeeze every bit of power out of my combo. Will I test it to see the difference..yes I will. And I will share the difference.

-Lee

9 deuce gt

Established Member
Thanks for the response Lee. Yes, the cam plays an important role. With the Cobra and AFR 165 combo, I would think you would want a cam that has a lift of around .500 and a duration that favored the low end.

It would seem that a cam that could make use of the 75mm T/B would not be a good match for the Cobra/Afr combo, because it would most likely make it's power in the higher RPMs.

I am not down grading your combo, I am just trying to learn something here. And I appreciate your responses.

racerbox77

Established Member
9 deuce gt said:
Thanks for the response Lee. Yes, the cam plays an important role. With the Cobra and AFR 165 combo, I would think you would want a cam that has a lift of around .500 and a duration that favored the low end.

It would seem that a cam that could make use of the 75mm T/B would not be a good match for the Cobra/Afr combo, because it would most likely make it's power in the higher RPMs.

I am not down grading your combo, I am just trying to learn something here. And I appreciate your responses.

I dont think you can go too big on a throttle body as long as you contour it to the upper intake. now if you had a 60mm throttle body on a say a trick flow Box R intake matched to AFR 205s that would be bad. Because the throttle body would be the bottle neck. Basically large to small is what you want. Speaking simply. Velocity= power. Think of this... Why does a 4" pipe going into a 3.5" Vortec inlet produce more power. The more air to the source the better.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
9 deuce gt said:

racerbox has pretty much summed up the t/b part so I will stay away from that until more questions.

I am curious about your opinion of the cam. Why stay around .500 lift? Why would you want a cam with a duration that is catered more to the low end? Our pushrod engines make plenty of low end torque. Couple that with 3.73's or 4.10's (I am installing 4.10's). To pull good on the track I want more upper end power. There is no way I can run the times I want by picking a cam catering to more low end. The AFR 165's are just starting to flow good at .500 lift, so I want more lift to utilize that flow instead of leaving it on the table (my new cam has .544/.568 lift). This is also why I choose to port the OEM intake. This should put the flow a lot closer to matching the 'little' heads that I have.

Users who are viewing this thread