754 turbo RWTQ + Stock T56 = ........

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
DC58974E-43B6-4452-9599-FC031408CABE-9522-0000091B38B415C7_zps98173341.jpg

66176936-7A8D-4605-8D48-935C92898880-9522-0000091B341553E3_zps20fc4bfb.jpg

Well before you say this trans doesn't hold up to power just let me run down the life of this particular T56. The trans is the stocker from my car with 49K on it. Car was 570-600+ HP whipple car for 5 years and a turbo car making 740/754 all last year and about a month of this season. I powershifted this trans everytime I raced the car. it had over 100+ track passes on it over that time frame. It had been launched at 4500-6000 rpms MANY MANY times. up until the moment it let loose it still shifted like butter and I honest think I have miss 2 gears in the 7 years I had it. for a 450 FT/TQ rating these trans are more than impressive. I bet if I was still whippled this trans would be still ticking.

So these pics came for my buddy who pull the trans for me at his shop. Not super knowleagable on transmission internals. From what he told me was the input shaft was in as bad of shape as this gear pictured but everything else from there back seemed OK.

But time to upgrade and NO i am not going auto. I am ordering a t56 magnum tomorrow, should be able to handle the power no problem.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Pretty standard gear failure for that power level. The amount of force exerted onto the input cluster over heats the teeth of the gear, eventually leading to a failure like this. Usually caused by extended WOT runs with over 650 rwhp. You could have avoided this, or at least postponed it with direct cluster oiling on the input gear. I like the T56 magnum idea too though!

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Pretty standard gear failure for that power level. The amount of force exerted onto the input cluster over heats the teeth of the gear, eventually leading to a failure like this. Usually caused by extended WOT runs with over 650 rwhp. You could have avoided this, or at least postponed it with direct cluster oiling on the input gear. I like the T56 magnum idea too though!

Yeah I knew when I went turbo this trans was on borrowed time. Funny thing is it let go under be fairly normal driving conditions. I did a quick pull is second no shifting and it started making noise. Next thing I know boom lol

va boy

Established Member
Wow that's impressive that it held up under the conditions that you described for as long as it did, I'm truly impressed. Also happy to hear you are staying with the stick, good for you man, I'll bet you can row the heck out of em too.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Wow that's impressive that it held up under the conditions that you described for as long as it did, I'm truly impressed. Also happy to hear you are staying with the stick, good for you man, I'll bet you can row the heck out of em too.

Thanks, yep I like the challenge of a standard. Much more rewarding running a good time banging gears down the track. I am sure my car would be much faster with an auto but for me it would take the fun out it. Funny last week I was actually going to be proactive and buy a magnum to have in case but I guess I was too late. Lol

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
If the t-56 is only rated at 450 ft/lbs I would hate to hear about the 3650.

+1 on going stick, cant beat the feeling of shifting a high hp car.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I would definetly do the fluid mod on the input shaft. If you dont its only a matter of time before the same thing happens to the magnum. Extended pulls push all the fluid to the rear of the trans leaving the input and cluster without any fluid.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would definetly do the fluid mod on the input shaft. If you dont its only a matter of time before the same thing happens to the magnum. Extended pulls push all the fluid to the rear of the trans leaving the input and cluster without any fluid.

Doesn't the magnum like the tr6060 have the front internal oilpump? Also I haven't seen many guys doing what it did on the magnum.

Edit from what I read it has provisions for it at least so I think I might look into adding it before I put it in

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread