7500+ rpm?

unibager

Established Member
Anyone gone after the 302 trans-am series BOSS engine style, and run your engine to 7500 rpm? Just thought I would ask, because I just thought back to a time when I drove a guys mustang that ran to 8000. It was cool. Anyway, just curious what people think of going this direction.

cobra93

Established Member
I shifted the 347 at 8,500 last year. You need good parts to do this for sure. One interesting thing I ran into last year was the oiling system. The stock oiling could not keep up and went into cavitation. This necessitated the installation of an adjustable external oil pump and a whole lot of steel braided. Internal crank balance and shaft rockers are a must as well IMO.

I did all this with a hydraulic cam from Anderson Ford Motorsport. The heads had Ti intake valves and the Crane link-bar lifters. Ran the Cranes due to the high valve spring pressures. Actually have taken the stock Ford lifters to 8,000 the year before.

Will have to keep those who are interested updated for this year as I am putting together a rather interesting 360 cid shortblock. Will have a very light rotating assembly with billet crank, aluminum rods and even lighter gas-ported pistons. A bit more compression (15:1) as well.

For starters, will be keeping the AFM hydro cam, just to see how high we can spin it. Changes to the Kuntz TFS-R heads are addition of Ti exhaust valves.

Sorry so long, I was on a roll.

unibager

Established Member
No, thanks for the info, and what(if anything) did you do computer-wise to run high RPM? I am torn between a couple of ideas - you guys know how it is.
I am leaning towards a "world performance" 408 short block, AFR 205 heads, Victor 5.8 intake, and a healthy cam, valvetrain and so on. The block is good for the RPM, and they say that oiling and rotating assembly are good for the power too.

cobra93

Established Member
I run the Anderson PMS on both my race car and '01 Lightning.

This type of system runs standalone, i.e., the EEC is bypassed, and has more than sufficient timing and fuel adjustment capability for my needs. I have the rev limiter set to 9,000, for example, and I also use the built-in two-step in the PMS.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, there is an rpm limit to the factory EECIV. It physically runs out of processor speed somewhere around 7500, IIRC. After all, it is a 13yo computer, that was designed around 89!

Some people have had their EEC "reclocked". Basically, a faster processor is put in the EEC. Not for the faint of heart, as the car has to be completely retuned via a chip/tweecer to get the load levels, etc, to work correctly.

Keep us up to date on your car, Marc!

Users who are viewing this thread