75 in a 55? What are my options?

GSTSpyder

Established Member
Okay so last night I'm heading home, hop onto the highway on somehwat of a blind onramp, the ones where your below the highway until you have to merge, you know the type. So I am just driving like I normally do which is speed up asap and hope to be at merging speed by the time i can see the traffic. So im going, 65-70 (im under the assumption this is a 65mph zone) pull up, no traffic, let off, cruise for about a 1/4 mile only to pass a cop chilling taking radar. He lights me up and I pull over immediately, darn. He asks me what the hurry was, i said i was just speeding up to merge and then coasted, he says there was really not much traffic i said I know, but didn't see that till your already on top of it. he just nods says i was going almost 75 and goes back to his car. Im like well okay 75 not bad prolly wont get a ticket. comes back gives me a ticket tells me to enjoy my car, im frustrated but polite and thank him and go on my way. Farther down the road i look at the ticket and is says 75 in a 55?? say what? so I head back the way I came and reatrace my steps. I happened to have my camcorder with me so i tape this. I get onto the ramp again - no speed lmit signs- merge and get to where he was sitting still no limit signs- right about where he pulls me over there is a speed limit sign for yes, 65mph, coincidently him and his buddy have just pulled over another culprit in the same spot (this guy is past the limit sign, not sure if i was or not). So basically, ticket says 75 (well 73 but he scribbled it out and put 75) in a 55. And I have this on tape. I went further down the road and before the ramp it IS a 55 zone but I was well within sight of the 65 sign when i got pulled over. So do I have anything to stand on? this isn't a road i commonly travel and the chunk i do is 65 the whole way, There were no signs saying 55 at any point of my journey on the highway, only 65 signs so i cant see how i was supposed to know it was 55 for that 100 yards or whatever. Only thing i can think of is that all onramps are an implied 55mph or something that I just never knew about? Is there any way I could get out of this? or at the least get the fine or whatever reduced for it seemingly being a 65?

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Your probably SOL. If your were going under 65 you might take pictures of the roads and show there are no signs. But if it's written for 75, which is over any speed limit I have seen, you will probaby have to pay it. Ask about driving school, you might be able to cut the cost or keep it off your record, and sometimes there are dumb chicks in the class too!

GSTSpyder

Established Member
yea i realize im prolly not gonna get off scott free, but hopefully ill be able to figure sumn out. 10 over and 20 over is a big difference.

JerseyGT

Jerseys Finest Ttop
Established Member
Get a lawyer and offer to take the driving class. Really alls you can do is if it's 1st time you can get it dropped and second time is points 3rd it double the points. take in mind this is jerseys way. If not where you are, take the hit, take the class, you'll get a surcharge and acouple insurance points

GSTSpyder

Established Member
looked up Ohio's point system. Even if i can't get it as 75 in a 65, its no points as its my first time ever speeding in a 55 and no other tickets in the past year.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by GSTSpyder
looked up Ohio's point system. Even if i can't get it as 75 in a 65, its no points as its my first time ever speeding in a 55 and no other tickets in the past year.

I found this in a search (got my own ticket:bash: ) & how did you find out about Ohiop's point system?

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by GSTSpyder
yea i realize im prolly not gonna get off scott free, but hopefully ill be able to figure sumn out. 10 over and 20 over is a big difference.

Not sure how it works in your state, but in this state the fine is exactly the same, 10mph over or 20mph, (130 bucks I beleive) so assuming it works similar in your state I would say it doesnt make any difference, your still going to end up paying the same ammount anyway, 10 or 20 over.

Users who are viewing this thread