7 inch DA Pad vs 4 inch

02silver2v

Established Member
So typically bigger is better right (in certain situations) :eek: but I am going to buy the swirl remover kit from Adams and I have the choice of the 7 inch pads or the 4 inch pads. Just curious if one is better than the other. Would the 4 inch give you a little bit more control over the 7? I am a newb and I have only used the DA on one car so far but the pads were very old and didn't produce the best results. Hoping to step up my game a bit on the second car. Thanks!

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Part of it depends on the car you will be mostly working on and how many angles it has, but I've always been most comfortable with 4" pads. You get more control and with the larger pad I feel like I have to fight the machine more because there is more surface area with friction against the paint.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I started out with 'big' pads. Then worked down to smaller diameter ones. My go to pads are now mostly 5.5". I feel that I get the most control, area 'touched' and 'power' out of the majority of my machines with this size.

Use what works for you and what you are comfortable with! Now, that being said, don't be afraid to try some different sized pads down the road and see what you think!

Keep us posted on how you make out!

02silver2v

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I think I will get a bit smaller of a pad this time around. I am going to be working on my dad's GS350 so it is a bit of a bigger car.

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
I recommend not going anymore than an inch or half inch of your backing plate.

i.e - 5 inch backing plate, no more than a 5.5 inch pad.

inyadreems

Established Member
I use 5.5 inch pads on my GG and 4 inch pads on my PC. I started with 6.5 inch pads and got very little correction or it took way too long.

Users who are viewing this thread