6R80 Swap Questions

KillNThrill24

Established Member
Just wondering, with the current generation of 10R80's being released, the 6R80 has been out for quite some time, and more GT500's popping up with 6R80's in them, how folks are going about doing the swaps these days.

My car is an 08, and I would like to tackle this project at some point. I've read numerous older threads on the subject, just curious if over halfway through 2018 if we have any concrete "do it this way" methods available yet. Thanks in advance.

RBB

Established Member
Just wondering, with the current generation of 10R80's being released, the 6R80 has been out for quite some time, and more GT500's popping up with 6R80's in them, how folks are going about doing the swaps these days.

My car is an 08, and I would like to tackle this project at some point. I've read numerous older threads on the subject, just curious if over halfway through 2018 if we have any concrete "do it this way" methods available yet. Thanks in advance.
I’d give Power By the Hour a call. They’re generally recognized as the experts on the subject. I’m sure they can steer you in the best direction.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Lund racing prefers the coyote pcm be used when doing the swap. There is a little more work involved for the pre-2010 cars to get the dash/gauges to work, but it can be done. Bill Wise at Baperformance in Silver Spring Maryland just finished my 2012. A month before he completed Ben Moses 2007 car. If you decide to do it, you will not be disappointed. It has made the car an absolute monster. Nothing like stab and steer and staying in full boost at wot. Biggest concern is a good tire to hold the power!

chas8180

Established Member
I'm planning to do this swap over the winter and am leaning towards the Quick 6 controller for simplicity, I'd love to hear anyone's experience with this.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I was big on the quick 6 as a potential solution to the 6R80 swap. Alex Flores of Lund Racing/youtube has stated in the comments section of one of his vids that the control wasnt that great and he wasnt a fan. Ive got no first hand knowledge or experience with a Quick 6 equipped auto swapped GT500 so there is that. A few people on youtube have uploaded vids of their finished Q6 auto-swapped cars and its seems to be working nicely so IDK.

Im surprised no one has looked into using a Coyote PCM as the basis as a stand alone controller.

Part of the current process for 11-14 GT500s, the PCM needs to be reprogrammed using a GT Auto VIN number to get as-built data. The 11-14 GT500 AND Coyote GT PCM is the same unit with different firmware and calibrations. The swap essentially turns the car car, tune wise, into a GT. Unless this process has changed thats the way power by the hour explained it to me in an email I sent them.

chas8180

Established Member
I was big on the quick 6 as a potential solution to the 6R80 swap. Alex Flores of Lund Racing/youtube has stated in the comments section of one of his vids that the control wasnt that great and he wasnt a fan. Ive got no first hand knowledge or experience with a Quick 6 equipped auto swapped GT500 so there is that. A few people on youtube have uploaded vids of their finished Q6 auto-swapped cars and its seems to be working nicely so IDK.

Im surprised no one has looked into using a Coyote PCM as the basis as a stand alone controller.

Part of the current process for 11-14 GT500s, the PCM needs to be reprogrammed using a GT Auto VIN number to get as-built data. The 11-14 GT500 AND Coyote GT PCM is the same unit with different firmware and calibrations. The swap essentially turns the car car, tune wise, into a GT. Unless this process has changed thats the way power by the hour explained it to me in an email I sent them.
I heard the same things about the quick 6 in the early stages but they have supposedly updated and refined everything but if what your saying about the stock computer being reflashed is another option then that sounds promising as well! I wonder about the wiring thats involved, like cutting and splicing, or if there is a plug and play harness or adapter? I'm just afraid of getting into a bunch of hacking on the factory harness.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I heard the same things about the quick 6 in the early stages but they have supposedly updated and refined everything but if what your saying about the stock computer being reflashed is another option then that sounds promising as well! I wonder about the wiring thats involved, like cutting and splicing, or if there is a plug and play harness or adapter? I'm just afraid of getting into a bunch of hacking on the factory harness.
The beautiful part about the Copperhead ECU (11-14 GT and GT500) is that is the same pin out physically for the engine. The Auto ECU, auto bodyside engine harness and transmission subharness will need to be purchased and installed. Other than that, it should be straight forward. Its the cleanest way to do it as well, as its using all OEM Ford parts except for the driveshaft.

Id give Power by the Hour a call and get concrete info. If youre 11-14 its easy, if youre 07-10, its absolutely possible but Im unsure about any extra steps you'll need. PBH will get you set in the right direction.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
As much as I'd like to say the Quick 6 is the answer, these new autos are very complicated and the stock ECU is more than proven.
My tuner knows the owner/developer of the quick 6 well, and last year he still wasn't convinced, especially with the great control through the factory computer available.
If I were giving up on the stick, I'd definitely do a 6R swap and more than likely the 4R200 by PBH.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread