6R80 swap in a 2011 Shelby

KidMoney

Established Member
I've posted in the Shelby section to no avail. Maybe more people will see it here. So here goes.

I'm looking for the best/easiest way to put a 6R80 in my car. It looks like a FAST or BS3 or a 5.0 engine harness are the only ways to go about it as there is no stand alone transmission harness out right now. It seems to me the easiest way would be the 5.0 harness and ECM. But will that work? Changing a few sensors or modding the harness a little would be fine. I would just like to know EXACTLY what would need to be done, if it can be done. I don't want to get halfway through and find out it won't work.

Now on to the other options. Anyone have experience with a stand alone engine management system in a Shelby or Coyote? The most important part of this, to me, is the carhas to run and drive like it came this way from the factory. Put it in gear and go. All the factory gauges work, stuff like that.

Any info is appreciated. I would like to get the parts together and the ball rolling ASAP. Thanks.

Jroc

Established Member
I didn't think it wasn't possible without a standalone computer? Will a 5.0 harness work with a 5.4 in a GT500. If all it takes is a harness I would think you could by and aftermarket harness and wire it up though.

I would love to have one in my L, but apparently it won't work without a standalone computer which no one currently makes.

You can fined them in wrecked Mustangs and 09+ F150's for around $1,200 or so on Ebay. Great transmission though.

Jroc

Established Member
Really is. Great street manners and excellent at the strip.

Look here:

6R80E swap??? - Page 9 - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

everything is done via tune in the 6R....this trans doesnt really have a valve body that uses accumulators. it has a mechatronic assembly that uses variable force solenoids (vfs) that are controlled via pcm using different levels of current. the pcm sends different levels of current to the solenoids changing the pressure in that fluid circuit. they are very powerful and can exert as much as 300 psi in some cases.....

also the 6R has a shit load of clutch. as much as 8 frictions in some drums and the steels are .120 thick..... combined with the VFS, this can handle a ton of power and absob a ton of heat without damage....

stock steels in the 4r100 are .078 thick......Alto reds are .059 thick

4r100 weighs in at around 275 with converter
6R80 weighs in at 215...

The only real knock about using a 6R80 for a powerful street car is you will likely need a pretty damn good tire to hook up. Even it's 2nd gear is geared almost as low as a 4R100(L, and old SD transmission) 1st gear, and it's 1st gear is way lower. I think a 6R80's rear ratio would be badass in a AWD vehicle. Also a taller final overdrive would be nice.

4R100 Gear Ratio:
1st - 2.71
2nd - 1.54
3rd - 1.0
4th - .71

6R80E Gear Ratio:
1st - 4.17
2nd - 2.35
3rd - 1.52
4th - 1.14
5th - 0.87
6th - 0.69