6R80 removal for converter

viperakron

Established Member
For those who have swapped a converter, any advise. Looks like the nuts and bolts are straight forward. Get exhaust out of way, unbolt old converter and get to trans bolts.

This being a sealed trans and computer controlled what needs to be addressed? Disconnect battery, any wire connection issues? fill converter with fluid? How do you confirm trans will have proper fluid level.

What else should I be aware of?? Anybody do a Youtube or thread on this. Thanks

D.T.R

Established Member
After doing it 3 times, i come to think that this is actually a very easy job if you have a trans jack.
you will have the remove the starter as well. Disconnect the main harness on the transmission... nothing else wiring wise.
fill converter with as much fluid as you can before putting it back on the transmission. If you are just doing a converter swap and keeping the fluid that in the transmission, all you will need is 4-6qts max. I bought extra just in case.
Like i said, put all the fluid you can on the converter, then put it in, make sure it clunks twice (spin it around while on the trans), bolt everything back up. Check fluid level, add some until you reach the proper level... let the car run until operating temp of the trans fluid (175-185), inspect fluid and add as necessary.

SoFlaBoss

Established Member
How much new fluid you need to add depends on how long the car sits on stands waiting for you to R&R the transmission. In my case the car was sitting for over a week while I took my time, which gave a large amount of the fluid in the stock converter the chance to bleed into the lower regions of the transmission. I added 1 qt. to the new converter before stabbing it, then thought that I'd be safe pumping another qt. of fluid into the transmission after it was running. I was wrong. I got the trans oil temp up around 190 before checking the level, only to find out that I had to suck out close to half a qt. to get the correct level. Anyhow, that was my experience. Again, it depends on how long you take to pull the stock converter.

Users who are viewing this thread