6R80 Hell. Range sensor? leaking bulkhead O-Rings?

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
I'm at a bit of a loss for words with the trans swap. had a buddy with an IDS tool come over saturday to take a look, and we couldn't get the trans to throw any codes. Drove it around on Sunday for a while, seemed to drive fine and shift fine, finally.

go to start it up this morning, and it doesn't crank at all. no clicks, nothing.

jacked passenger side up, pulled the trans plug, and its got some trans fluid on the connector. this normal?

could a bad range sensor be causing this? or could it be a valve body?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Hard to say on the no start/ no crank issue. But the leaking orings at the bulkhead on the back passenger side is a known problem. They have updated orings that you can get with the whole sleeve now. Its cheap but have to drop the pan I believe.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
i've read the documents on the leaking bulkhead issue.

but would this cause something like a no start? i've been having strange issue with it from day 1.

RR5.0

Established Member
I would check the wiring from the trans to the pcm, quick and easy way to eliminate short to ground/power or opens. Range sensor would definitely prevent it from starting but does usually throw a code. Check all your fuses as well.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Throw an IDS on the car and see what the TR sensor is reading when it has a no crank/no start concern going on. Reminds me of my issues when I bought a swap for mine.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
It's starting and driving fine now, so I have no clue what is going on. I checked the power wire (purple and grey) on the 16 or 18 pin connector under the hood on the pass side, and it's getting power.

Torchy

Established Member
But the leaking orings at the bulkhead on the back passenger side is a known problem. They have updated orings that you can get with the whole sleeve now.

Could you tell me a lil more about this? What's the bulkhead?

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
There's a circular connector on the back of the 6r80. There are known issues with the o rings on the connector leaking fluid into the actual connector. Mine is showing signs of a slight leak. But I don't know if the fluid getting in would be causing my issues. Gotta drop the pan to replace the orings

ebrow21

Established Member
There's a circular connector on the back of the 6r80. There are known issues with the o rings on the connector leaking fluid into the actual connector. Mine is showing signs of a slight leak. But I don't know if the fluid getting in would be causing my issues. Gotta drop the pan to replace the orings

The guy who builds all the 6r80's locally/here requires a purchase of the internal wiring harness/connector as part of the work. I would imagine this is part of the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread