6L GTO vs 03 Cobra

JSHTROD

Established Member
So a few days ago I'm cruising home from work in SF, on highway 80. It's the usual stop and go thru emeryville, and what do I see? A shiny, new, paper plate blue GTO in the fast lane.

I admire the car for a minute, but don't pay too much attention (I did happen to catch the 6.0L badges on the back).

:-D

A few minutes later I hear a quiet rev. I look over, and it's a youngish guy revvin at me in his GTO. I rev back. He gets excited and guns it for a few carlengths in traffic.

:nono:

I move in the lane next to him, and despite the traffic, line up next to eachother.

Me: "Nice car. If that thing's stock, I'm gonna kill ya"
Him: "It's not stock"
Me: "It sounds stock. I don't hear a supercharger or an aftermarket exhaust"
Him: "I've got 5G's that says I beat you"

:lol1:

Me: "Okay. Follow me on the 580 exit"

I really didn't want to take his money, but rather tame his ****yness. But, the thought did cross my mind about him spraying...

After a little bit, I took my 580 exit, and like usual, traffic all but dissappeared. He slows to about 70mph, and I shift it to 3rd. Thinking I've got a weight AND a major HP advantage, I tell him to go first, and I"d follow.

He moves into the gear he wants, and nails it.

By the time my foot gets to the floor, I'm already walking him. It gets very ooglay very quickly.

I can see he's flashing me, so I slow down again.

Him: "I missed a gear"
Me: "Okay. Just go when you're ready"

A few seconds later, he takes the hit again. Doesn't get past me at all. But, this time he hung in better.

By the top of 3rd I'd put one car no him, and a car between us. I shift to 4th and keep the pedal down for a few seconds, as he's still in it. It gets really ooglay again. I mean, BUS LENGHTS.

:beer:

I let out, and he comes up to me again...

Me: "Nice car. Where's my 5G's?"
Him: "What? I can't hear you."
Me: "We bet 5G's, where's my money"
Him: "huh? I don't understand..."
Me: "Nice car. Take it easy...."

:lol:

I think he fibbed about the 5G's AND not being stock.

:lol:

Jason

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
All I have is GMs finest 4x4s here. Nice kill I'm jealous!
I sure miss NC!

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Great kill. Glad you got to do it twice. I just had a GTO kill the other day too. It's posted here.

I thought they'ed be faster.

Zentenk

Established Member
Haha nice... I should cut out some G's in some cardboard and carry them in my car. ehhe

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
I run into this red GTO on the way to work every morning in my slightly mod'd 02 GT. He drives real quick and tries to show off when he see's me. I cant wait to catch him in the Cobra.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
He didn't say 5Gs he said 5 Bees. When he reached in his pocket to give you the bees they flew away...okay. Nice kill.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
65mph_Roll said:
Great kill. Glad you got to do it twice. I just had a GTO kill the other day too. It's posted here.

I thought they'ed be faster.

What hurts the GTO and C6 Vette is torque management. Even with a tune to take that out the '05/06 GTO still isn't beating a well driven '03/04 Cobra but they can hang well. Like I said in another thread the Cobra is geared better, has a higher redline, better tires, more hp and less weight.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
What hurts the GTO and C6 Vette is torque management. Even with a tune to take that out the '05/06 GTO still isn't beating a well driven '03/04 Cobra but they can hang well. Like I said in another thread the Cobra is geared better, has a higher redline, better tires, more hp and less weight.

I heard the same thing from a modded GTO owner, but that a tune really helped with the torque mgmt. Also, that they have a heavy "roll bar" behind the gas tank that can be removed that's about a hundred pounds?

I'm sure there is a lot of potential there, not taken'em lightly!

UtOhCop

Established Member
Probably had heads and cam and still couldn't take you. Sad :rockon:

Last edited:

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
65mph_Roll said:
I heard the same thing from a modded GTO owner, but that a tune really helped with the torque mgmt. Also, that they have a heavy "roll bar" behind the gas tank that can be removed that's about a hundred pounds?

I'm sure there is a lot of potential there, not taken'em lightly!

Yeah the tune does help but not enough to be faster than the '03/04 Cobra. A guy who tuned his '05 GTO A4 ran a 12.8 at 109 so taking that torque management is the first thing I would do.

Users who are viewing this thread