66 inline finally getting some balls

66sprint6

Blown Inliner (soon)
Established Member
Well, my little inline kicked the pail this December so we tore her out and started the rebuild. I have really enjoyed the looks and attention at shows simply because Im working on a six and not a v8. I decided to keep with the six and do a performance rebuild. Heres a laundry list of parts Im putting in:

Bottom End: Balanced rotating assembly, ARP Rod bolts, Forged flat-top pistons (.030 over), Cam (274 dur - 224 dur @50 - 480 lift - 112* lobe center) Dual timing chain.

Top End: Remanufactured Big Log/big valve head, new springs and teflon seals to match cam, 3angle, Holley 2300 (500cfm) direct mounted to head, ARP Head bolts

Ignition: Duraspark, MSD 6AL (soon to be MSD BTM), ACCELL Coil and plug wires

Exhaust: Stock 69+ large manifold J piped to Buick GN ported Turbo
3rd Gen RX7 intercooler for time being

We are looking to run about 10-12psi boost and turn it up from there, see where she will take us. Right now we estimate about 300 crank horsepower and our goal is to put 300 to the wheels before we are done. All this is going through a World Class T5 to the stock rear end (for now, 9" on the way) Let me know what yall think!
Matt

Last edited:

dalamar_96

Established Member
Since you're gonna keep your 6 cyl, it sounds pretty good.
That motor should save you some weight too. 300 rwhp will feel good in your light bodied 66. I'm just getting into a 67 rebuild...
Good luck with your'se.

66sprint6

Blown Inliner (soon)
Established Member
Thanks,
it is a light little car, Im looking forward to finally having something a little respectable, you know. I just cant wait to get her goin!
Matt

montanagrog

Established Member
Should be fun! I had a 68 coupe that I had a '66 -7 main 200 in. It that time I couldn't find anyone else building a 6 cyl (1973). So most things I tried was trial and error. I had the Clifford 'Viper' headers, Crane cam kit, 170 big head ported and milled to 12.3 to 1 comp., Offenhauser twin 2bbl intake. I tried the Dunganham (sp) 4 spd because it was the only one they told me would work. Scattered that in a hurry. Found how to put a toploader in then! Reworked a V8 radiator to cool it down. 9" with 3.91 gears. Then started breaking motor mount bolts out of the side of the block. Fabricated front and rear mounts to hold.

It was great to see the looks on a smallblock Camaro owner's face when I popped the hood after spanking them.

66sprint6

Blown Inliner (soon)
Established Member
Check out my site for now, it doesnt have any good recent pics yet, but this Sat I will try to get some for yall. I cant wait to get this going, its only a matter of getting it back together and running right. Montana, yeah, its always awesome to have people call me a lier when I pull into gas stations. They ask what Im runnin and I tell them a little inline and they all laugh...then I open it up and they cant believe it. It wont sound quite as good after Im done because were ditching the header to mount the turbo, but the rumble will be replaced by a whistle! Ill post pics when I get em!
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread