66 coupe

9svt8'

Established Member
Hey, so I just got a 66 coupe & I was wondering if the front fenders & bumper ect. From a 67/68 would bolt right on. I like the front of those better than the 66. & what do you guys think about putting a mod motor in it? I have been looking in to it & I know it's a huge pain in the ass but I think it would be bad ass to have a mod motor with a t56, Something you don't see everyday.

hot66

66 mustang 4.6 4v
Established Member
Fenders and bumbers will not fit. If you are going to put modular motor in it you will have to cut the shock tower walls. Go to The mustang shop website there is a full article about the swap. Would I recommend it ? No.why ? Cuz will need more than 10k to spend in parts and labor.

flS/R

Established Member
Hey, so I just got a 66 coupe & I was wondering if the front fenders & bumper etc. From a 67/68 would bolt right on. I like the front of those better than the 66. & what do you guys think about putting a mod motor in it? I have been looking in to it & I know it's a huge pain in the ass but I think it would be bad ass to have a mod motor with a t56, Something you don't see everyday.

as mentioned the sheet metal is not swappable.

putting a mod motor in it is a lot of work and will definitely require that you do a lot of research before attempting it or even acquiring parts. It will take a lot of modification to the 66 front end. When it comes to the 65-66 mustang there are two things that suck right off the bat: the engine bay is crowded by the shock towers and the rear wheel wells are very small.

there is still hope. If you do decide that this is a swap you want to do, there are some people who have done it and there are companies which make parts to help. Mustangs Plus should be close enough to you where you may find it helpful to stop by and look at the cars in their showroom. While there, get the catalog for both the late model and the first gen so you can get an idea of what is available and the cost.

I don't want to sound discouraging, I would hate to see a 66 cut up with this intended but never get finished. If you do decide this is the plan you want to go with, definitely keep us posted

KTTrucks

Premium Member
Established Member
Mod motor in a 66 Coupe? Yup!!! it's possible 8 ways to sundaay, not easy though. I chose a Schwartz G-Machine full frame chassis, my buddy Tommy wright chose Rod & Custom MII fron suspension, another friend with a termi in a 65 Fastback used MARTZ components, and I've recently seen DSE's aluminum modular front suspension system, which is beautirull and unbeleivably well engineered.... Griggs is another rout, and ther are others ... ALL OF WHICH require moving or eliminating the shock towers = major surgery. If you're skills are not up to it, farm it out. The rewards are huge. Im finally getting close to driving JADED; a three year build with tons of custom stuff... hopefully you'll see more about it here in these forums soon. Good luck!! open your checkbook! :)

KT.

Users who are viewing this thread