65mm throttle body in but a/f ratios ok?

red cobra 03

Established Member
I installed a 65mm ford racing throttle body. When I take it for a ride and watch the stock a/f meter it seems to be back and forth. When I punch it I get 11.8 to 12.8 and if I come off the gas pedal it seems to shoot up to 16 to 19. Looks ok with normal driving running 13.8 to 14.5. Along with the 65mm tb I have a air raid filter, frpp resonator delete and corsa axel back. Stock tune. Is the stock a/f meter accurate? Do I need a flash tuner? Thoughts?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I installed a 65mm ford racing throttle body. When I take it for a ride and watch the stock a/f meter it seems to be back and forth. When I punch it I get 11.8 to 12.8 and if I come off the gas pedal it seems to shoot up to 16 to 19. Looks ok with normal driving running 13.8 to 14.5. Along with the 65mm tb I have a air raid filter, frpp resonator delete and corsa axel back. Stock tune. Is the stock a/f meter accurate? Do I need a flash tuner? Thoughts?

Make sure you don't have any air leaks after the MAF, that is running a little lean at WOT, when I was running the CJ TB with my stock tune I was still seeing 10.0 at WOT. And yes the factory A/F gauge is very accurate, try also running the factory air filter.

GT500662

Established Member
Is there a noticeable difference in power and the way it runs from stock with just adding the TB?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm trying to avoid doing a tune if possible...due to having a bad experience in the past and wiped out the computer on my f250 power stroke. Still a little gun shy

Believe I know what you're saying, I sometimes I regret tuning my car, I mean the car is a lot faster but if I pop my engine I'm screwed. That being said as long as you go with a good tuner like VMP or Lund you should be safe.
Run the CJ TB for awhile and if you want more than get tuned

red cobra 03

Established Member
I'm debating putting the stock tb back on. Don't Wana run a new car lean. No leaks I've checked. Others have posted running this tb with no problems I don't know what to do.

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
To get the most out of the TB a tune is a good idea. After I did my TB,CAI I was throwing a lean code on bank 2 which was P0171 if I recall. I just did a couple if datalogs for the tuner guys and we had it all fixed up after 2 runs.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
you should be fine. I dynotested this exact setup 2 weeks ago on mine. I saw 589 stock, 604 FRPP and airaid, and 633 with 65mm. a/f was RICH at 10.5 under full throttle runs.

I have since upgraded to the JLT cold air and a tuner, 10% lower, offroad H. DAMN what a difference. I went from 11.7 1/4 miles to 10.8's on a severely slipping clutch. I suspect 10.6-10.7 once I can launch and rpm doesn't shoot up in 3 gear past 125 mph.

red cobra 03

Established Member
To get the most out of the TB a tune is a good idea. After I did my TB,CAI I was throwing a lean code on bank 2 which was P0171 if I recall. I just did a couple if datalogs for the tuner guys and we had it all fixed up after 2 runs.
So if the car runs to lean it will have a code pop up? I'm worried about burning up the motor.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm debating putting the stock tb back on. Don't Wana run a new car lean. No leaks I've checked. Others have posted running this tb with no problems I don't know what to do.

Disconnect your battery for a hour and restart the car, this way the computer can relearn with the new throttle body.

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
Yes a code will pop up if your to lean. Mine popped up on my 3 drive after I had just finished washing my car. Thought it was strange so I ignored it. Fired it up the next day drove to work and it was fine. Fired it up after work to go home and about 5 mins into my drive it popped up again. After that it seemed to showup on every second time I started my car. If you haven't had a check engine light pop up yet I'd say your ok. These cars are ridiculously smart!

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
Disconnect your battery for a hour and restart the car, this way the computer can relearn with the new throttle body.

That's one thing I never tried when i was having issues. But my buddy did that with his Mach 1 after we installed his new TB and his car ran great after!

red cobra 03

Established Member
Yes a code will pop up if your to lean. Mine popped up on my 3 drive after I had just finished washing my car. Thought it was strange so I ignored it. Fired it up the next day drove to work and it was fine. Fired it up after work to go home and about 5 mins into my drive it popped up again. After that it seemed to showup on every second time I started my car. If you haven't had a check engine light pop up yet I'd say your ok. These cars are ridiculously smart!
I was hoping that the car was smart enough to know if things were not rit with th a/f.

LT5

Established Member

To get a general idea you could datalog the A/F for both TB configurations under similar condtions. That's what I did with the VMP 67 before I upgraded the MAF and tune.

Remember this is a "fly by wire "TB. I suspect if you hold WOT deeper into the rpm band. The A/F ratio will dip into the 10's. Especially in 3rd or 4th gear.
That was my result with the stock tune. You may have to use a local dyno to keep your license intact.

That being said. At minimum the car begs for a TB ,123mm+ MAF and a tune.
The risk of damage can be greatly minimized by using a conservative tune from a reputable tuner and datalogging.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Your numbers sound normal. Like the other members said, get a tune from Lund or VMP and you will be fine.

Regards,

Manuel

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I would not do any modifications involving change of inlet air, or fuel, without a tune. Just retarded IMO, even if you don't "need" it.

Users who are viewing this thread