650+ Hp = Best Tire (Street/Strip)

Fry's03SVT

The Demon of Venom
Established Member
What are people using on their twin screw set-ups that achieve decent tread life and traction? I do not DD the Cobra by any means, but will have the opportunity to take it on some great trips this year and would like the best 'blend' so to speak (i.e. best traction possible but still can take it on a 700+ mile trip a couple times and not have the tread gone when you arrive).

What are you guys running on the rears to meet this need? Any input is welcome of course :beer:

LordVader04

Established Member
What are people using on their twin screw set-ups that achieve decent tread life and traction? I do not DD the Cobra by any means, but will have the opportunity to take it on some great trips this year and would like the best 'blend' so to speak (i.e. best traction possible but still can take it on a 700+ mile trip a couple times and not have the tread gone when you arrive).

What are you guys running on the rears to meet this need? Any input is welcome of course :beer:

Sticky Mickeys! Just stay out of the fun pedal in the rain:beer:

DSGCOBRA03

Established Member
If you want a tire for straight traction I would look into the Toyo TQ. If you want a tire for handling I would look into the R888. I've had those, plus NT05R and NT555R all in 315s except the NT555R. The NT05R was bald before I knew it and was like a drag slick if caught in the rain. I could not find any traction with the NT555R, but they were also 275s. My car would wheel hop with the R888, (I have FTBR IRS Bushings) but handling wise, was a very nice tire. The tread on the TQ seems like it is holding up pretty well. Tire gets great traction without wheel hop. I've been caught in rain with them and they had excellent traction. It just depends if you would rather have the better traction over the better handling, or vise vera, but those would be my two choices. Keep in mind, I'm talking street only. I only run bias-ply on the strip. With that being said my next tire will probably be the M&H Racemaster Drag Radial 325/45/17 with a 3.73 gear. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Nothing nitto makes will handle the twin screw setup well enough. Toyo is even behind the NT05R IMO. ET Street IIs are your best bet. I have zero complaints with them. Drove it home 400 miles when I bought the car and have multiple 150 mile drives on them and never had an issue. I am making the switch to M&H drag radials for one single reason which is they make a 28" drag radial in 18s. From what ive gathered from some 9 second vette buddies running them they are far better then the nt05R which is also made in a 28.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
mt et streets and hold on, just be careful in the rain and you'll be fine..i've had nitto 555 and nt05r's and they didn't hook for sh*t..

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
My friend said hoosier drag radial all the way. Then I researched myself and the web praised the hoosier more.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Hoosiers are the stickiest but wear faster than the MT's. MT hold my 600+RWHP in warm weather in second with no problem. It sounds in 1st but with alittle feathering it's no problem. I may try the R888's one day but it will be hard for me to run anything less stickier than a Mickey.

DSGCOBRA03

Established Member
I personally think the best route to do is have two sets of rears. One for the street that is a drag radial, and one for the strip that is a bias-ply. I run d.o.t. bias-ply, bolt them up at the shop, and then drive to the strip ready to rock. Just my opinion.

braindontstop31

Established Member
Hoosiers are the stickiest but wear faster than the MT's. MT hold my 600+RWHP in warm weather in second with no problem. It sounds in 1st but with alittle feathering it's no problem. I may try the R888's one day but it will be hard for me to run anything less stickier than a Mickey.

Which Mickeys did/do you run and what size?

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I use to have Mickey Thompson 305/35 R18 but recently switched to M&H 325/45 R17. There is no comparison!! The M&H tires are WAY better!

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
My car makes 968 rwhp and barely spins a little in first gear through the 4R70W auto with 4600 stall. M&H tires are amazing. If you want good traction your probably gonna need a drag radial, but a 700 mile trip may be pushing it. I drove a 5 hour trip in the pouring rain on the M&H 325's and it never once felt unsafe, I was driving extremely careful though. The 305/35R18 Mickey Thompson's I had felt very unsafe even if it sprinkled out. I can get away with running tires like this full time because I don't normally go on long trips, and if I get caught in the rain around town it's not a big deal. I daily drive my car on the M&H 325's and I love them. Nitto's and Toyo's are probably the best bet for traction, long trips, and adverse weather conditions. But at 650hp you'll be working those tires out pretty good. The 305 Mickey's would do real well at that power level, and the M&H tires would be even better. The M&H's would probably dead hook with everything you could throw at it. I'm running a SRA so I don't know if it's possible to run the 325's with IRS. I know M&H does offer a few different sizes and they all work really well. The compound is a lot softer than a Mickey, and for some reason they even last longer too. Also keep in mind when you increase traction it's a lot harder on parts. If you don't have good axles, drive shaft, clutch, tranny, ect. you may want to stick to a less aggressive sticky tire, like the Toyo or Nitto.

9DE76DBC-38CC-445F-876F-5C1F63EEDDF0_zpseugxl8nq.gif

Last edited:

braindontstop31

Established Member
My car makes 968 rwhp and barely spins a little in first gear through the 4R70W auto with 4600 stall. M&H tires are amazing. If you want good traction your probably gonna need a drag radial, but a 700 mile trip may be pushing it. I drove a 5 hour trip in the pouring rain on the M&H 325's and it never once felt unsafe, I was driving extremely careful though. The 305/35R18 Mickey Thompson's I had felt very unsafe even if it sprinkled out. I can get away with running tires like this full time because I don't normally go on long trips, and if I get caught in the rain around town it's not a big deal. I daily drive my car on the M&H 325's and I love them. Nitto's and Toyo's are probably the best bet for traction, long trips, and adverse weather conditions. But at 650hp you'll be working those tires out pretty good. The 305 Mickey's would do real well at that power level, and the M&H tires would be even better. The M&H's would probably dead hook with everything you could throw at it. I'm running a SRA so I don't know if it's possible to run the 325's with IRS. I know M&H does offer a few different sizes and they all work really well. The compound is a lot softer than a Mickey, and for some reason they even last longer too. Also keep in mind when you increase traction it's a lot harder on parts. If you don't have good axles, drive shaft, clutch, tranny, ect. you may want to stick to a less aggressive sticky tire, like the Toyo or Nitto.

9DE76DBC-38CC-445F-876F-5C1F63EEDDF0_zpseugxl8nq.gif

DANG, what size are they?:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread