65 fastback rest mod help

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
My dad has had this 65' fastback for about 15 years now and tired to have it restored multiple times. He has been screwed over by every person that he has taken it to as well.

This time we will be doing the work ourselves. Im not sure really where to start, most of the body work is done with minor areas that need work. The floorpan was replaced with a full pan, but the weld work is shotty. I need to smooth a lot of welds and completely wire wheel the under side in order to POR-15 it.

Let me know if you have any tips or pointers that may help me along the road. Also if you have any other good forums for restorations. When it comes to older mustangs i dont know much compared to the s197 bodies. Any good manuals that would help me through the process so i know whats missing and what should be where.

Thanks for your help
Zak

here is the car as is

de8bff42.jpg

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
So long as you have a solid car to work with, the "restomod" build has a TON of options. What are your plans for the car? Do you have a vision/goal in mind? That's a great body style to start with!

Oh, I would also suggest you Email places like CJ Pony Parts, National Parts Depot, and a few other for free parts catalogs. It's much easier to figure out what you need, and how things go together, when you have some of the info provided in the catalogs. Not to mention, doing a vintage Mustang build.... you will get to know those places REALLY well! LOL

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Well currently the car has a mustang 2 front suspension. Not quite sure what rear he has in it but i can see moser axles. Blue with white stripes on the exterior with black interior. 351 W possibly procharged. Have the basic look of the car pinned down, now its just bringing it to life and making my visions happen

SM94Cobra

Established Member
So long as you have a solid car to work with, the "restomod" build has a TON of options. What are your plans for the car? Do you have a vision/goal in mind? That's a great body style to start with!

Oh, I would also suggest you Email places like CJ Pony Parts, National Parts Depot, and a few other for free parts catalogs. It's much easier to figure out what you need, and how things go together, when you have some of the info provided in the catalogs. Not to mention, doing a vintage Mustang build.... you will get to know those places REALLY well! LOL

This is great advice and it will be surprising how many little parts that are missing that you just have no clue are suppose to be on the car to complete it. Like Powershift said, the good thing about Resto Mod is that it is really up to you on what you want to do with the car. As for a couple of websites to check out:

Specific to mustangs: Vintage Mustang Forums
A bit more chevy based, but a good site: Pro-Touring.com - Welcome to Pro-Touring.com

Try to plan out the bigger items, such as motor and tranny, interior theme and that is going to give you much more direction. Good thing about the older cars, there are so many parts out there to do whatever you want to do.

Good luck and hope that helps. If you get some more work completed, post up some progress pics.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
I second the free catalogs they have really helped my planning details and help figure out missing pieces

migg400

Established Member
Looks like you have a great foundation to start with. I am in the middle of a 67 Fastback Pro-touring build. These wonderful toys can become quite costly, but the fun in building them sucks up the tears from a broken wallet. A friend of mine owns a company called Laurelmountain mustang which is not to far from Harrisburg. Send me a PM and I'll help you find your way....

cotten

Established Member
first and foremost, come up with an idea for the build. Go from there.

Next you are talking about metal work and protective coatings. You really have 2 options here...

1. acid dip car, repair metal work, acid dip again, and ecoat.
2. sandblast car, repair metal work, por-15, epoxy primer. (you do not want to use a wire wheel)

Remember, POR-15 is only as good as the prepped surface it is applied on. So use the the degreaser and metal ready formula before applying it. AND BY GOD, WEAR GLOVES AND A TYVEX SUIT. You'll be wearing it off for 6 months if you dont.

And you want real car builders tips for building these cars the right way...
Mustangstofear.com

Tell em I sent ya and bring 2 pocket books...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread