60k Clutch making noise

wyldechild54

Medusa
Established Member
My clutch is making a hissing noise. It used to be faint but now the noise has grown. I think it is the pilot bearing. I know that it is expensive for labor so should I just get a new clutch altogether? What could I get for like 500 bucks?

Overfloater

Established Member
Sounds more like the clutch release bearing. Pilot bearings hardly every make noise IME.

If you replace the release bearing you might as well replace the pilot bearing and clutch while you're in there. Maybe even the rear main seal. Good luck!

Regards,
Robert

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Ya it does sound like a Throw out bearing but it is a easy install just time consuming. Mine has been going bad now for the last month and I only have 27k miles on mine. I bought a new TOB and Pilot bearing just havent had the time to replace it yet. I refuse to pay a guy $300-$500 for just replacing a bearing. You can get any clutch kit for a little of nothing. Under $300 is more I like it ;-)

wyldechild54

Medusa
Established Member
Alright thanks. I dont really know enough to do the work or have the time to invest to learn so I would have to take it to a shop. Is this a serious issue though? ...or can I just crank the tunes and drown it out?

Overfloater

Established Member
You can ignore it if you want. The bearing will probably come apart at some point but it shouldn't damage anything you would be replacing anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it until you can get it fixed.

Regards,
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread