60ft help

virgincobra98

whawuzzat???
Established Member
Hi all, few questions. I used to have a zinc 01 that I couldn't 60ft for nothing, scared to break it. Most 60ft ran from 2.18 to 2.3X. It was a more consistent car with a little wheelspin than wheelhop, launch was 2500RPM or so Best ET was 13.91 at just over 103 with said 2.18 60ft. 1/8th mile on that run was 9.00 at 80.1 or so. I am getting another new edge soon (next 2 or 3 months) and don't want to break it, so my preference for wheelspin. I intend to do a full IRS bushing kit, brace and maybe 4.30 all at the same time, once I get more practice then I'll build more power. Later SFCs, any suggestions on RPM, people with gears. I have never run on our track here but we have good 330' prep from what I can see. Any suggestions before I get started? Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

69mach03

Established Member
IRS FTL!

You guys should be able to hook on drag radials while slipping the clutch to prevent one of the half shafts coming apart? What kind of air pressure were you running?

F8L SN8K

Established Member
In my 99 cobra I had Nitto drag radials on the stock rims reved it to about 4500-4700 rpm sliped the clutch aggresively with 17# of air in them. My sixty was in the 1.85 range. Suspension wise was Kenny Brown road race springs and Kenny Brown IRS cross brace for the front of the Diff. The best it ran without the juice was 13.07 with 4.10 gears drop in K&N, and a catback. Never had an issue. I use ET streets on my 03 launch about the same RPM but it sports 100% stock IRS and suspension and a KB blower. 60' is on the 1.65 range.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
IRS FTL!

You guys should be able to hook on drag radials while slipping the clutch to prevent one of the half shafts coming apart? What kind of air pressure were you running?

last time to the track i was running very bald bfg drag radials at 18psi, 2.190.

but my personal best (lol) was 2.003 and i was experimenting with 21 psi. i have also had better with 20 psi and even a good one for me at 25psi. but the bfg drag radial tires were newer at the time.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
IRS FTL!

Why do you say IRS FTL?
I run consistant mid 10s with 1.6 60' times on a stock IRS with poly bushings.
This is on 26x11.5x15 MT ET Streets.

69mach03

Established Member
Why do you say IRS FTL?
I run consistant mid 10s with 1.6 60' times on a stock IRS with poly bushings.
This is on 26x11.5x15 MT ET Streets.

Congrats! That is really impressive. But when it comes down to it -- IRS is NOT made for drag racing in the least bit. It's just as much of a handicap as racing with a manual trans, IMO.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Congrats! That is really impressive. But when it comes down to it -- IRS is NOT made for drag racing in the least bit. It's just as much of a handicap as racing with a manual trans, IMO.

If I just drag raced only I would probably put in a solid.
My car does autocross and road racing and does quite at those also.
The half shafts are stiill stock and they should get me to low 10s in the near future.
BTW, I have a manual trans also! LOL:beer:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
If I just drag raced only I would probably put in a solid.
My car does autocross and road racing and does quite at those also.
The half shafts are stiill stock and they should get me to low 10s in the near future.
BTW, I have a manual trans also! LOL:beer:

senkak had you ever drag raced your cobra in more of a showroom/street-trim type of setup? like with 17", 26" tires and drag radials or street type tires?

and if so, what was your best technique

i am thinking maybe i am not launching with enough revs or something

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
senkak had you ever drag raced your cobra in more of a showroom/street-trim type of setup? like with 17", 26" tires and drag radials or street type tires?

and if so, what was your best technique

i am thinking maybe i am not launching with enough revs or something

I started out on 17" MT ET Streets (bias ply).
I would consistantly get high 11s and ocassionally mid 11s.
I even got a best of 11.8 on street tiires a couple of times.
Launching all depends on how the track is holding.
If you don't think you are launchng high enough just increase the launch each run until you find the sweet spot between spin and hook.
Best of luck!:burnout:

bigpoppa822

Established Member
...how are you guys not pulling good 60'? My IRS 4100lb Thunderbird pulled a 1.95 60' and it only ran a 14.3 @ 98 mph on Hoosier Quick Time DOTs.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Raise you RPMs and sride the clutch out.

Progressively Raise higher or let the clutch out faster until you get wheel spin.

It takes practice and seat time to fine the sweet spot.

If your scared to break something then you shouldn't be on the track. Eventually something will break.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Just don't do what I did and forget to turn the t/c off before try to heat the tires up.

04streetvenom

Established Member
Raise you RPMs and sride the clutch out.

Progressively Raise higher or let the clutch out faster until you get wheel spin.

It takes practice and seat time to fine the sweet spot.

If your scared to break something then you shouldn't be on the track. Eventually something will break.

Very good advice, this is exactly what I had to do to get my 60' in the 1.xx range.

For me on BFG 17" DR's the magic mark seemed to be around 3700-3800 rpm. Still on stock IRS with brackets only. Best 60' I have had was 1.90, but im sure with a little more perfecting it would get better.

Regardless, the IRS does make things more difficult than a straight axle, but its not something that you can't get around with some practice.

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Very good advice, this is exactly what I had to do to get my 60' in the 1.xx range.

For me on BFG 17" DR's the magic mark seemed to be around 3700-3800 rpm. Still on stock IRS with brackets only. Best 60' I have had was 1.90, but im sure with a little more perfecting it would get better.

Regardless, the IRS does make things more difficult than a straight axle, but its not something that you can't get around with some practice.

Use the 17" BFGs for the street and get yourself some sticky bias ply tires for the track.
I run consistant low 1.6s on a set of 26x11.5x15 MT ET Streets.
This is on the stock IRS with poly bushings.

-

Users who are viewing this thread