600whp??

1bad04cobra

Established Member
Alright I know this may be too much for the streets but I'm not normal.lol . I had an 04 cobra with 600whp and am now getting back in to the fox body scene. Partly because I have three kids and it's cheaper than buying a new car. Anyway I want 600whp on pump gas as a weekend worrior. What is the most cost effective way? Don't get me wrong, I know it won't be cheap but I don't know if a blower set up is the way to go or natural aspirated, which would be prefered. So what block and set up would work best??

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
a nice tryed and true setup would be 306 c.i or 331 c.i holley system max intake or trickflow,afr or trickflow heads, custom blower cam and procharger or vortech v3 kit 10-15psi 500-600rwhp on pump gas all day.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
LQ9 5.3, CNC heads, 200 shot

whoops wrong hat on, here we go put the ford hat on

427 stroked 351W, any bargain basement centrifical or 150 shot

You gotta remember stock block is only good to 500hp flywheel or fear the dreaded crack.

So if your planning 600 then your going to have to block upgrade to a dart which ain't cheap.

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
LQ9 5.3, CNC heads, 200 shot

whoops wrong hat on, here we go put the ford hat on

427 stroked 351W, any bargain basement centrifical or 150 shot

You gotta remember stock block is only good to 500hp flywheel or fear the dreaded crack.

So if your planning 600 then your going to have to block upgrade to a dart which ain't cheap.

True add another $2,000 for a new Dart 360 stroker or use the new boss block, or a cheaper older ford motorsports sportsman block for prob around $1,000 either an older A4 block/truck block or R block 331 stroker

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
351W bored to 357, forged internals OR motor from a truck with the 'football" rods, put good bolts on the rods, use the stock crank, and put forged pistons in it (stock crank and football rods can handle "safely" 700BHP but many people have taken them will over 800 for long periods of time), good heads(afr 205 or equivalent, F303 cam, holley or TFS intake, 76mm turbo @ 12-16psi, you'll make 600whp all day long on pump gas, you don't need a dart block as a factory 351W block OF ANY YEAR will do just fine if you keep the RPM's limited to 6500(its all in the RPM and balancing. Go neutral balance and keep the revs at 6500 and Ive seen these setups last tens of THOUSANDS of miles on the street. And we all know street miles aren't usually easy miles, lol. You be in the motor, turbo kit about 9 grand give or take.

Last edited:

1bad04cobra

Established Member
351W bored to 357, forged internals OR motor from a truck with the 'football" rods, put good bolts on the rods, use the stock crank, and put forged pistons in it (stock crank and football rods can handle "safely" 700BHP but many people have taken them will over 800 for long periods of time), good heads(afr 205 or equivalent, F303 cam, holley or TFS intake, 76mm turbo @ 12-16psi, you'll make 600whp all day long on pump gas, you don't need a dart block as a factory 351W block OF ANY YEAR will do just fine if you keep the RPM's limited to 6500(its all in the RPM and balancing. Go neutral balance and keep the revs at 6500 and Ive seen these setups last tens of THOUSANDS of miles on the street. And we all know street miles aren't usually easy miles, lol. You be in the motor, turbo kit about 9 grand give or take.

Interesting.. thanks man

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
We have a guy out here that had Cleveland stroker built and runs edelbrock intake with fuelie bung holes and 90 degree neck to a throttlebody. Built the whole motor for less than a grand including machine shop expenses. The 351C 2 barrel heads are very simular to a TFS head. He also used a 400M stock crank with aftermarket rods and pistons and he is at 393 cubes. Since it is a cleveland head aka boss 302 head. He used the boss 302 valvecovers.

88 347 stroker

Established Member
Go with the 351w block for sure. I wish I did. Don't get me wrong. I love my 347 but I'm at the limit for the stock block and when I bought the engine I was younger and didn't know any better than to get a dart block. Go 351w n turbo it.

NC Mystic

Established Member
Do you want to stay 2 valve? a Teksid 4 valve block is cheap, light, and will take whatever you throw at it. get some C heads and a mammoth and supporting systems and call it a day. you already know you liked your terminator so why not build a similar but stronger motor for a lighter car?

also you can overcome factory terminator shortcomings like insufficient pistons to wall clearance for long high speed pulls, throw some hard valve guides in, blower cam, aero A1000 and a sumped baffles 96 cobra tank with the return lines. . .

i am doing this build (save for the large blower, starting out with an eaton but building supping systems so i can bolt on whatever i want) and i am not a wealthy man so i feel like if i can do it anyone can. given i am a little over a year in on collecting parts for the mystic build but it could be done in no time for under 7k in parts.

hell if you wanted to save some more money get an eaton for $300 like i did and just port it and see what it'll make with a single blade and big intake, water meth spray it if you want.

just a thought. . .

1bad04cobra

Established Member
Do you want to stay 2 valve? a Teksid 4 valve block is cheap, light, and will take whatever you throw at it. get some C heads and a mammoth and supporting systems and call it a day. you already know you liked your terminator so why not build a similar but stronger motor for a lighter car?

also you can overcome factory terminator shortcomings like insufficient pistons to wall clearance for long high speed pulls, throw some hard valve guides in, blower cam, aero A1000 and a sumped baffles 96 cobra tank with the return lines. . .

i am doing this build (save for the large blower, starting out with an eaton but building supping systems so i can bolt on whatever i want) and i am not a wealthy man so i feel like if i can do it anyone can. given i am a little over a year in on collecting parts for the mystic build but it could be done in no time for under 7k in parts.

hell if you wanted to save some more money get an eaton for $300 like i did and just port it and see what it'll make with a single blade and big intake, water meth spray it if you want.

just a thought. . .

Dude I would love to do this. But how difficult would this be to fit in to a fox? I'm assuming some fabrication work for mounts if motor and trans?

Last edited:

88 347 stroker

Established Member
I have never done this swap and haven't done much research but I do know they make K members to fit a fox specifically for modular motors. Someone else may be able to say but I think there is a forum just of modular swap fox body mustangs.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
its not simple. You need a Kmamber, motor mounts, some new brakeing system pieces, front accessories off a mod motor (5.0 one wont fit), you need a completely different wiring harness and computer, and I know thats not everything. its not worth it unless you just want to be different but your talking adding $4-$5K to the cost of the build over just building a 351w.

1bad04cobra

Established Member
its not simple. You need a Kmamber, motor mounts, some new brakeing system pieces, front accessories off a mod motor (5.0 one wont fit), you need a completely different wiring harness and computer, and I know thats not everything. its not worth it unless you just want to be different but your talking adding $4-$5K to the cost of the build over just building a 351w.

Thanks.

pur pony

Established Member
turbo or Twins-

I made roughly 650whp on a 306 R block, Forged internals, Trick flow heads and heat intake, custom cam, and a Incon twin turbo through a T56.

Users who are viewing this thread