600rwhp = what clutch?

SlowImport

Established Member
I just got an 03 that put down 580rwhp and I think the clutch is acting up. It has a spec stage 2+ and when you get on it, the car doesnt like to go into gears. My friends GTO is doing the same thing with his spec stage 2+.

So I was going to redo the clutch setup and was just wondering what you guys are running clutch/flywheel wise with your 600rwhp cars.

thanks in advance,
Josh

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I went with a Ram. In retrospect, I should've gone with a Centerforce DFX with
a Fidanza flywheel. That's next.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
unit213 said:
...snip... I should've gone with a Centerforce DFX with

thats mine. It feels pretty good Dan, best of the SIX different clutches I have had in an 03

stock
D&D
Spec3
CFDF
Mcleod
DFX

add a Fiore FW adj and quadrant for best combo

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
postban said:
thats mine. It feels pretty good Dan, best of the SIX different clutches I have had in an 03

stock
D&D
Spec3
CFDF
Mcleod
DFX

add a Fiore FW adj and quadrant for best combo

I don't really have any complaints about the Ram clutch considering
I'm running a re-surfaced stock flywheel. It grabs ok and gets me down
the track pretty well. I want one that bites like a pit bull and won't let
go though.

shamis935

Jesus built my hotrod
Established Member
McLeod twin disc i love mine and great service too. do you have a firewall adj. & quad.
mine did that with a good clutch, i put the steeda unit on and whala it was cured

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Ive got the spec 3+ (3f or what ever they are calling it now) with billit pressure plate and rebuildable flywheel. I thought about the mcleod but with the way they screwed me on the bellhouse I got from them I dont think I would ever buy a mcleod product based on principle alone.

CWD

Established Member
I just finished my DFX 26 install today!

And I can't believe it. After all the hype I was worried about the driveability of the set up and man it is nice! I love it. Works great! No issues at all! Drives better than stock. I also went with the Fidanza flywheel and all is well. Oh and thanks Postban I followed your install instructions. :beer: Charles

SlowImport

Established Member
Well we are going to put a D&D quadrant and adjustable FW. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

keepin my fingers crossed,
Josh

ChromeCobra

Established Member
I have a Centerforce daul friction and I cant get into any gears going down the track. I want to change it out for a different setup, but havent decided what to go with. Im thinking of doing the DFX, but now Im sceptical about using another Centerforce product. Hopefully a new clutch with fix my shifting problem.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
ChromeCobra said:
I have a Centerforce daul friction and I cant get into any gears going down the track. I want to change it out for a different setup, but havent decided what to go with. Im thinking of doing the DFX, but now Im sceptical about using another Centerforce product. Hopefully a new clutch with fix my shifting problem.

I had the exact same problem...the clutch was perfectly adjusted too.

I now have a Spec 3 with a steel flywheel and I LOVE IT. Bites really hard, and shifts great. Little bit of chatter when breaking it in, but I love it.

SlowImport

Established Member
mike79 said:
I had the exact same problem...the clutch was perfectly adjusted too.

I now have a Spec 3 with a steel flywheel and I LOVE IT. Bites really hard, and shifts great. Little bit of chatter when breaking it in, but I love it.

We are going to take it out this next week and swap it out for a different Spec clutch. How well does it go int to gears? No problems at all? Also how bad is the chatter?

I need something done fast,
Josh

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
SlowImport said:
We are going to take it out this next week and swap it out for a different Spec clutch. How well does it go int to gears? No problems at all? Also how bad is the chatter?

I need something done fast,
Josh

Breaking the clutch in was a bit of a pain. I was so used to the CF and its streetability characteristics. It will take a day or two to re-learn how to shift the car again. The pedal is much stiffer, but again after a few days, it feels soft.

The first 500 miles or so there is going to be chatter, I wont lie. But now there is barely any, and shifting the car is a breeze. It bites hard, powershifting is a blast, and I dont smell burnt clutch anymore at high RPM's, nor do I have that marble sound at low RPM's.

I have roughly 1500 miles on the clutch now, and so far so good.

SlowImport

Established Member
Hey mike79 do you know the part number for the clutch that you have in your car? What im wondering is if its the just the stage 3 or stage 3+. I just wanna make sure this one works this time.

this is frustrating,
Josh

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I did not go with the 3+, just the 3. A lot of people do though, and love it. I just didnt see the need to spend the extra money, and its good for 700 FW TQ, more then enough for me (thats somewheres around 580-600tq at the wheels I think) If you plan on going higher then that, go with the 3+

I dont have the part number, sorry. I can call the shop that I got it from on Wednesday if that helps.

Machinator

Banned
unit213 said:
I went with a Ram. In retrospect, I should've gone with a Centerforce DFX with

A note to the wise, I just toasted a dfx with a fidanza flywheel. They are absolute junk. If you dont listen you will find this out the hard way. Please dont use centerforce. Please dont do it man youll regret it! :read:

BlackSabbath

Established Member
Machinator said:
A note to the wise, I just toasted a dfx with a fidanza flywheel. They are absolute junk. If you dont listen you will find this out the hard way. Please dont use centerforce. Please dont do it man youll regret it! :read:

What happened? How many miles did it have on it?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Machinator said:

Spec 5? I've seen a few pics of them exploding. McLeoud twin disc?

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Alright,

For that horsepower range you have several clutches available that are all proven to work really well.

Centerforce DF, LM or the Undisputed DFX!!
All of which are great clutches and run by many members of this community. There has been some though that have had problems with engagement on the DF mostly due adjustment of the clutch. The LM is supposed to handle a little more HP than the DF and there there is the DFX which has been proving itself over the last year as a clutch you can beat the Sh&* out of and it still grabs like crazy!

Spec Stage 3 or 3+
The Stage 3 is also used on many of this communities cars and comes as a complete kit with Pressure Plate, Disc, TOB and Alignment tool. The Spec Stage 3+ is the newest of the Spec line and is supposed to be a little less chattery then the regular Stage 3.

Ram Powergrip HD
Another one that in my opinion thats somewhat like the Centerforce DF or LM series. This clutch is run by Lou at Laurel Mountain and he has only awesome things to say about it. He also doesnt baby this thing so you know its got to be good as he loves to hit the track and dump the clutch in the upper RPM range!

All NEW Fidanza 4.3 Clutch kit..
This clutch is made of a Cerametallic like the DFX. I'm going to put one of these in my car when the 3.3L Whipple Project is done! We are still however getting more results on the new Fidanza but it looks to be a very nice option. It's offered in the 10 or 26 Spline version and comes as a Kit (Pressure Plate, Disc, TOB and Alignmrnt tool. We are running specials on these as well as to get more out on the market and see its potential.

Now,

If you have any questions about any of these clutches feel free to give us a call as we carry all brands and offer specials daily. We'll also speak to you about your goals and needs for your car and carefully help you to choose the right clutch.. Thanks, Jared

Users who are viewing this thread