600rwhp - OK to Launch in 2nd Gear at the Track?

YELL03

Established Member
Last time at the track I got one pass before a Bad Rim ruined my day.

I have a 2011 GT500 Convertible with a TVS swap on Michelin A/S 3s.

On that pass I got locked out of 2nd gear, the result...

a sub par [email protected] 1/8th and a [email protected] 1/4 on a soft 2.18 60'.

This was leaving TC ON and short shifting in to 2nd.

Unfortunately, my idea of granny shifting is still too fast for the 1-2 shift not to grind.
Next time I'll have to make an effort to slow down my shift and make sure the clutch is all the way to the floor, it is going to ruin my technique

OR

with 600rwhp, Would it be OK and not to hard on the clutch to launch in 2nd?

This will avoid the grinding/lock-out on the 1-2 shift and avoid time robbing wheelspin.

Also, launching in 1st on street tires results in spin even launching off idle, in 2nd I can actually give it more gas.

Do you think this will result in a better time without killing my clutch.

tvspower

Established Member
Some friends say that I made the clutch problems worst in my 08 by laun ching in 2nd gear.. With the same hp level as you 2nd at 2000rpm still broke the tires loose...... After clutch was fixed I put dr's on and got to use 1st again.....Sure is a better run now....:beer:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't launch in 2nd. That's a great way to break things. Turn traction control off, all the way off. Try and put the clutch pedal through the floor. My car will grind 2nd unless I do that.

Dirt2067

Established Member
If you have to ask questions like this you shouldn't be racing your car.
You clearly don't understand how the engine/transmission/clutch function mechanically.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
You clearly don't understand how the engine/transmission/clutch function mechanically.

You clearly don't own an 11/12 gt 500 to understand what op is going through. To the op, I also have problems perfecting my 1-2 shift(as do soo many owners of our models) but what is just as important as getting the clutch to the floor before shifting, is letting off the gas before you disengage/ press your clutch pedal at all .I also found when our tr6060 is warmed up(almost hot) is when the 1-2 shift will go in best. One last thing that helped me out without major modding to the car was the Bondra engineering clutch pedal extension. You wont regret this little mod. good luck!:burnout:

0n a side note; For those who think we don't know how to shift, I've had my cousin who had made several 11 second passes in his fox body Mustang, try to my drive my car and ground first to second baaad.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
DO NOT START IN SECOND. I do not care how much HP you have. You will have bigger issues that missing second.

I run a 11 and what cured my 1~2 is what others have said. Get a MGW, use good tranny fluid, and I have not had the problem since. I have 670 to the wheels, and a RXT clutch. Trust me, you want to start in 1st.

ZX6Ray

Established Member

I probably would have said the same thing... :shrug: Amsoil+MGW shifter fix the issue. You can't knock it til you try it!

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
you should switch to Amsoil synthetic ATF. I have heard many people say that this fixes their tranny issues !

YELL03

Established Member
Some friends say that I made the clutch problems worst in my 08 by laun ching in 2nd gear.. With the same hp level as you 2nd at 2000rpm still broke the tires loose...... After clutch was fixed I put dr's on and got to use 1st again.....Sure is a better run now....:beer:

I know it will spin them, I was just trying to avoid the 1-2 grind/lock-out

Just get an MGW shifter and the ford synthetic tranny fluid and you'll never regret it!

Is the MGW shifter shorter than the stock one?
Is the spring that takes you 2-3 as strong as the stock one.
I really like the ergonomics of the stock shifter.

Don't launch in 2nd. That's a great way to break things. Turn traction control off, all the way off. Try and put the clutch pedal through the floor. My car will grind 2nd unless I do that.

That is what I have to make an effort to do.
I am not going to turn TC OFF until after I make a pass or two and see how the car feels.

You clearly don't understand how the engine/transmission/clutch function mechanically

DUDE, I'm 50 years old and have been racing for years.
I know of another guy who has started his GT500 in 2nd in order to run high 10s or low 11s, I am sure it is hard on the car, but it prompted me to ask the question as to if it was OK.
You definitely could have been a little more tactful in your response, but I'll take the high road.

You clearly don't own an 11/12 gt 500 to understand what op is going through. To the op, I also have problems perfecting my 1-2 shift(as do soo many owners of our models) but what is just as important as getting the clutch to the floor before shifting, is letting off the gas before you disengage/ press your clutch pedal at all .I also found when our tr6060 is warmed up(almost hot) is when the 1-2 shift will go in best. One last thing that helped me out without major modding to the car was the Bondra engineering clutch pedal extension. You wont regret this little mod. good luck!:burnout:

0n a side note; For those who think we don't know how to shift, I've had my cousin who had made several 11 second passes in his fox body Mustang, try to my drive my car and ground first to second baaad.

This technique is going to ruin my driving, but I'll have to do it.
I have thought about the Bondra.
As far as if I know how to drive, I ran a stock 2001 Viper with 450hp to a [email protected] on a 1.68 60' on Radials, not powershifting, I know how to drive, I just don't blow my own horn.

DO NOT START IN SECOND. I do not care how much HP you have. You will have bigger issues that missing second.

I run a 11 and what cured my 1~2 is what others have said. Get a MGW, use good tranny fluid, and I have not had the problem since. I have 670 to the wheels, and a RXT clutch. Trust me, you want to start in 1st.

That type of response is excellent.
What do you think is more responsible for the cure, the Fluid or the Shifter?
Is the MGW shorter than the stock shifter and are the centering springs as strong as the stock shifters?

I probably would have said the same thing... :shrug: Amsoil+MGW shifter fix the issue. You can't knock it til you try it!

seems to be the popular opinion and solution

C'mon, even you;-)
You know me, I know my sh-t, just asking.

you should switch to Amsoil synthetic ATF. I have heard many people say that this fixes their tranny issues !

I think I will.

ZX6Ray

Established Member
Your serious about drag racing with 50 years experience and all but yet you are wondering what would help in shift effort?

Seems like a simple answer for you, no?

Instead of that TVS maybe a better idea would have been LCA/UCA/driveshaft/clutch/relocation brackets/slicks/15x10 wheels...

:poke:

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
Don't have a GT500. But I had to do extensive mods to get mine to shift right at the track.

Clutch, pressure plate, lots of suspension, motor and trans mounts, short shifter, clutch component mods, amsoil atf with Lucas trans fix, increase my pedal travel, and lots of seat time. Even still no one else can bang gears in my car, they miss shifts and grind all day.

I think you need to upgrade the suspension and drive train components to prevent flex, and a quality shifter helps a lot too.

YELL03

Established Member
Your serious about drag racing with 50 years experience and all but yet you are wondering what would help in shift effort?

Seems like a simple answer for you, no?

Instead of that TVS maybe a better idea would have been LCA/UCA/driveshaft/clutch/relocation brackets/slicks/15x10 wheels...

:poke:

The TVS makes it a much more fun street car, which is where I do 99.9% of my driving. So the TVS is still most important, the 2nd and 3rd gear pull is INSANE!

Also, you do realize the shift error is not on my part, it is a major flaw of the 2011-12 GT500s.

Also, I have always run my cars at the track the actually way I drive them on the street, so if my car runs a 11.6@120 for example in my Viper, that is in exact street form how you would see it on the street.

I do agree the above mods would make high 10s to low 11s much easier, but..
they are not addressing the 1-2 shift except for the added traction which seems to help stop it for some people.

Don't have a GT500. But I had to do extensive mods to get mine to shift right at the track.

Clutch, pressure plate, lots of suspension, motor and trans mounts, short shifter, clutch component mods, amsoil atf with Lucas trans fix, increase my pedal travel, and lots of seat time. Even still no one else can bang gears in my car, they miss shifts and grind all day.

I think you need to upgrade the suspension and drive train components to prevent flex, and a quality shifter helps a lot too.

All great mods that help, but still none are 100%.
I hear that the only sure fix is to swap the Tremec out for a different tranny, but the tranny is at least $3500 before labor.

Most likely I will still go for a different shifter and fluid and see if helps, along with deliberately slowing down my 1-2 shift.

tvspower

Established Member
Personally .. What I am have done in the past with any existing problems (cltch and trans .. rear wine)and correcting fix is this... Seeked out a fellow owner and asked to be taken for a ride to actually feel the fix.....Then the facts correct or not are right in your face.... Always proved my point without guessing.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread