600rwhp - How to get Max Acceleration on Street Tires?

YELL03

Established Member
My 2011 GT500 Vert with a 13 TVS swap made 590rwhp SAE on a 65-70 degree day, that same day a stock 2013 GT500 made 568rwhp for comparison.

I am running 285/35/19 Michelin Pilot A/S 3s set at 35 psi, well that was on a warm day, probably a couple pounds less on a cool day.
The car is my daily driver year round.

On that 70 degree day I was able to go full throttle in 2nd gear without much drama, but now that the temps are in the 50s 2nd gear is wanting to go sideways even with TC ON.

Since there is not much room around here to test traction out without risking license suspension or worse, I figured I'd ask what you guys making this type of power do to get maximum acceleration.

For example, light to light or if somebody tries to pass you at speeds where you are still in 1st or 2nd gear.

I assume 1/8th pedal starts and rolling in to the throttle are what would be best.

I have not tried a full throttle 1-2 shift at 6200rpms yet, I can tell the car can't hold it just by some part throttle 1-2 shifts, even with TC ON.
I have yet to try 1st gear at all at WOT.
I really need to find an empty office park or wide highway out in the sticks.

My C6 Z06 was fast as was my Viper GTS and 03 Cobra, but none were this violent under acceleration.

So, do I need different tires or should I lower tire pressures?
Is part throttle what I need to do until 3rd gear?

I have never had a car that made more than 500rwhp before, my highest rwhp before this was 492rwhp SAE in my 03 Cobra, a car that weighed about 100lbs less than my 11 GT500 Vert.

That car ran [email protected] (1.8 60') on BFG DRs.
It was fast, but not nearly like the 11 GT500.

Last edited:

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
Part throttle is really the only way until your into 3rd and then you can go full but still might spin with the colder temps. Drag radials are also an option if your not running them.

APMECH

Established Member
After going sideways a few times in 3rd gear, I put on a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials and haven't looked back. In the heat of the summer I can dead hook 1st gear on a wot roll and it just barks 2nd, 3rd and 4th. In cold weather they spin in 1st, and thru 2nd, but is way more controlled accelerating pretty good, and no spin at all in 3rd.
D/R's are not a problem for me as mine is not a daily driver and I never drive in rain. Street tires just don't cut it at this power level and nothing will hook in the cold weather.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Under 50 degrees you probably have the best you will get so regulate the pedal. Over 50, get a set of M/T Drag radials. I have the 19" and they are quite impressive. DR's are dangerous when the roads have any moisture on them.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
My trigger finger is the safety on my gun, same premise applies with my foot relative to the gas pedal.

YELL03

Established Member
Part throttle is really the only way until your into 3rd and then you can go full but still might spin with the colder temps. Drag radials are also an option if your not running them.

That is what I thought, hopefully I can regulate it enough to hold off those pesky 400rwhp Vettes from a dig or low mph roll.

After going sideways a few times in 3rd gear, I put on a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials and haven't looked back. In the heat of the summer I can dead hook 1st gear on a wot roll and it just barks 2nd, 3rd and 4th. In cold weather they spin in 1st, and thru 2nd, but is way more controlled accelerating pretty good, and no spin at all in 3rd.
D/R's are not a problem for me as mine is not a daily driver and I never drive in rain. Street tires just don't cut it at this power level and nothing will hook in the cold weather.

The MT DRs sound great, but the Shelby is still my Daily Driver.
Maybe I will buy a back-up set of rims and tires for spring and summer use, but rain will still be an issue.

Under 50 degrees you probably have the best you will get so regulate the pedal. Over 50, get a set of M/T Drag radials. I have the 19" and they are quite impressive. DR's are dangerous when the roads have any moisture on them.

I figured for 50 degrees and below I am safest on the A/S 3s, that is why I bought them. A DR would be better at the track in cold weather where you can get some heat in to them, but that luxury is not available on the street.
When it gets warm I have contemplated getting DRs, but rain will still be an issue.

My trigger finger is the safety on my gun, same premise applies with my foot relative to the gas pedal.

That is a great point.
I am just hoping my 600rwhp car does not get embarrassed by much lower rwhp cars.
If I can just keep next to them at part-throttle, in 1st, I am confident part-throttle in 2nd will be enough, until 3rd when WOT is OK and it will be all over.

Of course, the truth is, I rarely if ever street race, at almost 50 years old I have seen to many things go wrong, but it is nice to know the car can handle it. I never go over 100, I know with 590rwhp thst sounds ridiculous.

Also, the GT500 at stock power levels still didn't hook good in the cold and I don't think it had enough power at part-throttle to stay in front of a 430hp flywheel C6 Vette if not in 2nd. Heck, even stock 5.0s worried me from a dig.

The C7 Vettes in automatics are beasts on the track, cutting 1.7 60's on stock tires and running mid-high 11s at 119, but I don't think that will translate to the street where cold asphalt and cold tires will bring them back to earth.

When all is said and done, the car is so much fun to drive with the TVS, more powerful than any car I've ever owned, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but one day when the kids are out of college and it is purely a toy, it will be able to handle the power with the correct tires.

Last edited:

blackvette101

Established Member
if your 100% set on street tires I would say get adjustable upper and lower control arms and test/tune it to get better traction. I'd also relocate your battery to the trunk (better battery life anyway). You can also lower the gear ratio. You can drop the tire psi to around 28 psi cold. Honestly hooking 600 rwhp on an all season tires will not be easy. Not sure how much snow your area gets but if it's not a whole lot you probably need to switch to summer tires. The michelin super sport in 295/35/19 should hook your power level from a roll especially if you do some of the above traction mods. I believe the C7 along with the majority of fast cars on street tires are all on summer tires.

If your shelby has to be driven in snow have you thought about a winter wheel/tire package? In the for sale forum there is a set of 19'' pilot super sports and a seperate set of winter wheels/tires.

In a non-widebody vette they can usually hook a 2nd gear on non-runflat summer tires up to about 450 rwhp. The widebody can hook up considerably more.

Last edited:

KKOSH

Established Member
I have 295 Michelin Pilot S/S tires and I can't put the power down in these colder temps. Haven't tried in the warmer temps yet. I am hoping it is better next summer. I have ford racing suspension with their tubular lower control arms and relocation brackets. At 65-70 mph in 3rd gear it will spin the tires. Yes, it can be pretty scary so needless to say 4th gear it hooks up no problem. The TVS power difference is unreal though.

YELL03

Established Member
if your 100% set on street tires I would say get adjustable upper and lower control arms and test/tune it to get better traction. I'd also relocate your battery to the trunk (better battery life anyway). You can also lower the gear ratio. You can drop the tire psi to around 28 psi cold. Honestly hooking 600 rwhp on an all season tires will not be easy. Not sure how much snow your area gets but if it's not a whole lot you probably need to switch to summer tires. The michelin super sport in 295/35/19 should hook your power level from a roll especially if you do some of the above traction mods. I believe the C7 along with the majority of fast cars on street tires are all on summer tires.

If your shelby has to be driven in snow have you thought about a winter wheel/tire package? In the for sale forum there is a set of 19'' pilot super sports and a seperate set of winter wheels/tires.

In a non-widebody vette they can usually hook a 2nd gear on non-runflat summer tires up to about 450 rwhp. The widebody can hook up considerably more.

I don't plan on driving it in the snow, I will steal my wifes FWD Cadillac SRX, but in case of a 1" coating when not expected I want to be able to limp it home, the A/S 3s should handle that.
I remember getting caught in my C6 Z06 in a coating, made it all the way 10 miles to my development and had to get pushed just as I entered my development 1 block from home, it would not move.

I actually got the A/S 3s for better traction in cold weather, the F1s were dangerous.

I think I will lower my tire pressures a bit and see how that goes.

I have 295 Michelin Pilot S/S tires and I can't put the power down in these colder temps. Haven't tried in the warmer temps yet. I am hoping it is better next summer. I have ford racing suspension with their tubular lower control arms and relocation brackets. At 65-70 mph in 3rd gear it will spin the tires. Yes, it can be pretty scary so needless to say 4th gear it hooks up no problem. The TVS power difference is unreal though.

On warm pavement I think you will be able to go pretty well in 2nd, definitely 3rd if not over 650rwhp.

Most guys won't admit it, but yes, 65-70mph spins on the street will make you pucker.
I envy these guys with AWD GTRs, but I am not going to drive an automatic, I don't care how fast it is.

Maybe a 911 Turbo AWD manual tranny one day, but I am not really a Porsche type of guy.

The TVS makes the car so much more fun.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Thats a good point brought up by blackvette...do you have suspension mods, especially in the rear? thats a big help with traction on these cars

Venom07

Established Member
I ran a 01 zo6 s/c vette recently and it was hard to keep car from spinning evening on a 60mph roll. I was on 555r drag radials and set them at 18psi and it was about 50 deg outside. It wasnt until the third run that I was able to get him but I was at half to 3/4 throttle all through second gear. See for yourself and turn up volume so you can hear my car go in and out of throttle. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=SqC5MTRBmUQ

YELL03

Established Member
I ran a 01 zo6 s/c vette recently and it was hard to keep car from spinning evening on a 60mph roll. I was on 555r drag radials and set them at 18psi and it was about 50 deg outside. It wasnt until the third run that I was able to get him but I was at half to 3/4 throttle all through second gear. See for yourself and turn up volume so you can hear my car go in and out of throttle. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=SqC5MTRBmUQ

You are making quite a bit more power than I am, had to be crazy trying to hook up.
What kind of power was the Vette making and what kind of tires was he on? It ran strong.

I feel like a wuss, only 590rwhp and scared of the car:-D

YELL03

Established Member
How do you like the new Pilot Sport A/S 3 compared to the stock Eagles? Waiting for mine to arrive and in low temps the G1's are very slippery.

In cold or warm weather the A/S 3s are better than the F1s by far, I actually was OK in 2nd gear in 70 degree weather.

50 degree weather and 600rwhp, that is a different story.

I've never been able to rip a 1-2 shift on the F1s or A/S 3s.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I don't street race !
If you have to, hold up ( 3 ) $ 100.00 bills...............& hope he has an empty wallet.
..........................& you're way over due for suspension mods.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
You may want to look into getting some relocate brackets. Reason why is with those on, it changes the pinion angle and you track in a straight line when you start spinning instead of left to right. Buddies of mines did it to his car and he does spin, but his car always track forward in a straight line when it does. Thus from a roll his car is crazy. With less power than some other cars, he takes them from a roll.

I'm looking to get some for my car soon. Probably at the STeeda round-up coming up next month.

YELL03

Established Member
Griggs Torque arm

will look in to it, thanks

I don't street race !
If you have to, hold up ( 3 ) $ 100.00 bills...............& hope he has an empty wallet.
..........................& you're way over due for suspension mods.

I don't have 2 $10 dollar bills and you are right, no more power until the suspension is handled

You may want to look into getting some relocate brackets. Reason why is with those on, it changes the pinion angle and you track in a straight line when you start spinning instead of left to right. Buddies of mines did it to his car and he does spin, but his car always track forward in a straight line when it does. Thus from a roll his car is crazy. With less power than some other cars, he takes them from a roll.

I'm looking to get some for my car soon. Probably at the STeeda round-up coming up next month.

If that will keep me straight in 1st that would be the way to go.

How about the Dead Hooker Springs?

YELL03

Established Member
Also, I just got back from a 1 hour cruise, out on some big wide open 2 lane roads. Temps are mid to upper 50s.

First, I lowered my rear tire pressures to 32 psi in my heated garage.

1st gear is useless, I don't even bother.

2nd will spin at 60mph plus, but it is pretty controllable, of course lots of Law Enforcement out, so I can't stay in it and let it get too wiggly.

3rd gear feels good, it might (not sure) barely break them loose a little bit, but then it grabs. I would not hesitate to mash the throttle in 3rd, even 2nd feels like it could handle it.

I am pretty impressed with the A/S 3s.

I think with some decent suspension work they might be OK.

I love the 2-3 shift.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread