6000 RPM and Twin Turbos???

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
For this thread let's assume that the production car will have a redline of 6000RPM.

My plan is to purchase this car and install a HP Twin Turbo kit. Now what in this motor would be holding it back from 7000RPM? Is this just Ford warranty concerns or the cams, rods?

I want the car to rev to 7000RPM without worrying about something blowing up in 2 days. Assuming that just raising the RPM to 7000 isn't safe with this motor, what would I have to do internally to make it so?

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
SaleenCobra said:
For this thread let's assume that the production car will have a redline of 6000RPM.

My plan is to purchase this car and install a HP Twin Turbo kit. Now what in this motor would be holding it back from 7000RPM? Is this just Ford warranty concerns or the cams, rods?

I want the car to rev to 7000RPM without worrying about something blowing up in 2 days. Assuming that just raising the RPM to 7000 isn't safe with this motor, what would I have to do internally to make it so?

Probably has something to do with the stroke (the 5.4 is a stroker 4.6 w/ taller deck) and the compression ratio.

Seems to me like more work than it's worth. Wouldn't it be simpler to switch out the pullies?

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
Probably has something to do with the stroke (the 5.4 is a stroker 4.6 w/ taller deck) and the compression ratio.

Seems to me like more work than it's worth. Wouldn't it be simpler to switch out the pullies?

Oh yeah it would be much easier and cheaper to swap pullies.

Problem is I have always wanted a Turbo V8 Cobra. I have about 10,000 set aside now for mods on the car and I know the TT kit will be between 6k-7k. So that leaves 3K for the motor if need be. I'm just trying to figure out if i'm going to have to pull the valve covers to get to 7000RPM safely.......

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Well honestly I think it is still to early to tell exactly what would need to be done. We don't know for sure what kind of pistons or rods will be in the thing. My guess the limiting factor is going to be in the valve train via the springs and or retainers. Honestly though I don't think it will take much more than getting a good set of blower cams, and stout springs and retainers.

With that said my predictions are that the rotating assembly will be more than capable to handle the power and longeveity. I am also going out on a limb by saying I think there will be much more electronic governing of this car than there was of the terminator so the RPM issues is just another area in which the GT-500 will be choked down.

Just a forwarning, the 5.4 with a Twin Turbo Setup has been known to cause emense amounts of Euphorea. Seriously though, if you do go through with the TT setup and run a large front mount, with 15 lbs of boost you will be near if not over 650 hp. At 22 lbs, with race gas expect to be well over 800 hp.

kino

Established Member
SaleenCobra said:
Oh yeah it would be much easier and cheaper to swap pullies.

Problem is I have always wanted a Turbo V8 Cobra. I have about 10,000 set aside now for mods on the car and I know the TT kit will be between 6k-7k. So that leaves 3K for the motor if need be. I'm just trying to figure out if i'm going to have to pull the valve covers to get to 7000RPM safely.......

Those turbo kits start at 6-7k and many of them if not all of them do not come with pumps, fuel rails and upgraded fuel lines let along a BAP or a new FPDM and boost controller. If the HP twin kit that has been on "sale" for $7400 still goes for same price on a GT500, then expect to add on roughly $2000 ontop of turbo kit price. I would estimate a 9 grand or so for a well thought out turbo kit setup.

If a turbo Cobra is what you want, there are two sensible ways to do it. The first is to get a used cobra and go from there. The second would be to wait a while for a used GT500. If the new body style is what you really want, wait until you can get one that is about a year or two old then turbo it. If you buy a new GT500, expect to pay $40 K then put in $10 k just for fuel and turbo not to mention fixing any weak links that car may have.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do. :thumbsup:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SaleenCobra said:

You DO know the production car is going to be supercharged? Are you saying take off the supercharger? If so, you should have said that? :shrug:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Fourcam330

Established Member
The limiting factor in a OEM GT500 motor rpm wise is going to be the stock rod bolts, then the rods. You can also bet the OEM pistons won't be up to the task of handing TT type power.
The solution is: Billet steel rods (Oliver, Carillo) with quality rod bolts, and a quality forged piston (CP). At the same time you'll also want to upgrade to ARP longblock hardware, better bearings, and an external wet sump oiling system (in light of the recent billet oil pump gear findings, at $800 it's a relative bargain).
Your next concern rpm wise will be in the top end, as the stock springs can only take 7000rpm. The Crower single spring kit would be a great choice for those only spinning to 7500rpm with cams featuring .495" or less lift, anything more and I would step up to a quality dual spring kit.

Last edited:

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
SaleenCobra said:

Why the hell would you want to add twin turbos to a car that already makes almost 500hp??? :shrug: (according to HT if you believe him) Just change the pulley, tune it and free up the intake and exhaust instead. You would save a ton of money which you could put towards the tires you would be needing every two to three weeks because the car will never put that kind of power to the ground.

Fourcam330

Established Member
03Terminator said:
Why the hell would you want to add twin turbos to a car that already makes almost 500hp??? :shrug: (according to HT if you believe him) Just change the pulley, tune it and free up the intake and exhaust instead. You would save a ton of money which you could put towards the tires you would be needing every two to three weeks because the car will never put that kind of power to the ground.

Highway roll racing? Two guys I know are having Al build them pump gas 900-1000rwhp/rwtq TT Ford GT motors for the same reason. One is going in an 03 Cobra, the other into a 2800lb Pantera. I don't think either one is going to lose many races :beer:

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
You DO know the production car is going to be supercharged? Are you saying take off the supercharger? If so, you should have said that? :shrug:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

I guess i'm a little lost by your post. I think it's safe to assume that everyone in here knows the GT-500 is supercharged so there wasn't any need to mention it.............. :)

kino said:
Those turbo kits start at 6-7k and many of them if not all of them do not come with pumps, fuel rails and upgraded fuel lines let along a BAP or a new FPDM and boost controller. If the HP twin kit that has been on "sale" for $7400 still goes for same price on a GT500, then expect to add on roughly $2000 ontop of turbo kit price. I would estimate a 9 grand or so for a well thought out turbo kit setup.

If a turbo Cobra is what you want, there are two sensible ways to do it. The first is to get a used cobra and go from there. The second would be to wait a while for a used GT500. If the new body style is what you really want, wait until you can get one that is about a year or two old then turbo it. If you buy a new GT500, expect to pay $40 K then put in $10 k just for fuel and turbo not to mention fixing any weak links that car may have.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

I forgot about the fuel system, thanks for the reminder.

Oh I totally agree on waiting to pick one up. Plan is to get a new one at the end of the model year. I'm hoping for rebates that my 03 got at the end of the model year.

03Terminator said:
Why the hell would you want to add twin turbos to a car that already makes almost 500hp??? (according to HT if you believe him) Just change the pulley, tune it and free up the intake and exhaust instead. You would save a ton of money which you could put towards the tires you would be needing every two to three weeks because the car will never put that kind of power to the ground.

Like I said i've always wanted a TT Cobra and now i'm in a financial position to finally do it. Like most other people I like my car to be different and in this case very different. I will be much easier to launch this car with TT's than a supercharger IMO. It's just that some of us are Turbo fans, supercharger fans or Nitrous fans and you only live once.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Highway roll racing? Two guys I know are having Al build them pump gas 900-1000rwhp/rwtq TT Ford GT motors for the same reason. One is going in an 03 Cobra, the other into a 2800lb Pantera. I don't think either one is going to lose many races :beer:

TT Ford GT 1000 rwhp in a 2800 lb Pantera. :bowdown:

Last edited:

putawaywet

Established Member
SaleenCobra said:
I forgot about the fuel system, thanks for the reminder.

Also, unless you are doing your own install you're going to need another couple grand for labor. Depending on the kit and type of application turbo installs can run twice the cost of a SC install. So, by the time you get that bad boy on the road I suspect you'll be easily over the 10K mark.

SaleenCobra said:
Oh I totally agree on waiting to pick one up. Plan is to get a new one at the end of the model year. I'm hoping for rebates that my 03 got at the end of the model year.

Don't count on it. I do not forsee this car being offered on any kind of incentive. It will take 6 mo's to a year just for the bendover tax to start coming down. And given the early indications it will have a long way to come down just to make it back to sticker. I think you will be lucky to see MSRP by the 2nd year. The only way I see incentives becoming a factor is if other vehicles are released such as SE's and they start stealing all the hype from the Shelby.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
TT Ford GT 1000 rwhp in a 2800 lb Pantera. :bowdown:

It's really a trick car from what I hear. Titainium hood, roof, decklid, control arms, and full exhaust. It's going to be stoopid fast. :pepper:

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
putawaywet said:
Don't count on it. I do not forsee this car being offered on any kind of incentive. It will take 6 mo's to a year just for the bendover tax to start coming down. And given the early indications it will have a long way to come down just to make it back to sticker. I think you will be lucky to see MSRP by the 2nd year. The only way I see incentives becoming a factor is if other vehicles are released such as SE's and they start stealing all the hype from the Shelby.

There are plenty of dealers already commiting to sticker with no added premium.

putawaywet

Established Member
Well, you know what they say... money talks and bullshit walks. We'll see what happens when these things start hitting the showrooms. All the promises in the world mean nothing unless you have a signed contract.

I sure as hell hope you're right, because I'll have a dog in the fight along with everyone else and I surely don't want to pay any more than I have to.

Fourcam330

Established Member
putawaywet said:
Well, you know what they say... money talks and bullshit walks. We'll see what happens when these things start hitting the showrooms. All the promises in the world mean nothing unless you have a signed contract.

I sure as hell hope you're right, because I'll have a dog in the fight along with everyone else and I surely don't want to pay any more than I have to.

Just like with any other car, there are stand up dealerships, and those that will try to bend you over every chance they get.
For instance, when I bought my 98 Cobra. Ricart Ford (the largest Ford dealership in the country) wanted $3000 over sticker on a rio red 97 vert (that Ricart's son had used as a demo for 3000 miles) because it was RED. At the same time, I could have bought a zero mile 97 coupe for $21,500, or a vert for $23,000 (again with zero miles) out the door from XXX. Sometimes it pays to shop around.

Last edited:

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
I could have bought a zero mile 97 coupe for $21,500, or a vert for $23,000 (again with zero miles) out the door from super secret location
Sometimes it pays to shop around.

Don't burn cuts bro, that's where I got my 03 and am planning to get my Shelby....I don't need all of SVTP going there....lol.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Scream'n03 said:
Don't burn cuts bro, that's where I got my 03 and am planning to get my Shelby....I don't need all of SVTP going there....lol.

You go cross country to get a Ford?

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
You go cross country to get a Ford?
Yup....the bay area was retarted high at the time, wanted 41K plus tax. I have family in Ohio and was back there and stopped by a the local Ford dealer and made a deal - 30 out the door, next week me and my friend flew back and drove it home. Good and broken it by the time I got there. Plus, road trips are always fun, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Scream'n03 said:
Yup....the bay area was retarted high at the time, wanted 41K plus tax. I have family in Ohio and was back there and stopped by a the local Ford dealer and made a deal - 30 out the door, next week me and my friend flew back and drove it home. Good and broken it by the time I got there. Plus, road trips are always fun, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Small world, LOL. That's ten minutes from my parents house and where I bought my '94 Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread