EditorTurner

Established Member
0-Rallycross-Focus-RS-Featured.jpg

Rally RS
Ken Block will campaign a 600hp Focus RS in FIA World Rallycross
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Performance

As we learned recently at the end of Ken Block’s epic Gymkhana Eight video, the Hoonigan will bring a new vehicle to the next installment of this viral video series—a 2016 Ford Focus RS. Now it has been revealed that Ken will also campaign this vehicle in the the FIA World Rallycross Championship.

“RS is a worldwide brand with a rich heritage that motorsports enthusiasts know and love,” Dave Pericak, global director, Ford Performance, said. “Our RS badge has a natural connection to racing, and we have a passionate, dedicated team on the project. We’re excited to honor the history of Rallye Sport by pushing every aspect of performance and design to the limit.”

To do so, Ford Performance engineers will bring to bear the same type of engineering tools they used to develop the likes of the latest Ford GT.

“We’ve dedicated the same level of cutting-edge tools, technical resources and engineering know-how from our Le Mans GT and NASCAR programs, and working with M-Sport brings renowned expertise in rallycross and stage rally vehicle development,” said Mark Rushbrook, motorsports engineering manager, Ford Performance. “Ken, Andreas Bakkerud and Hoonigan Racing give us insight from the competition and driver perspectives. Our three organizations have a great working relationship, and we’re all looking forward to seeing the Focus RS in action.”

Obviously, Hoonigan Racing Division’s Ken Block is looking forward to piloting this new racer in the 12-event series.

“I’m really happy to be expanding my relationship with Ford Performance," he said. “To have official factory support for my race season in 2016 and beyond as I enter the FIA World Rallycross Championship full-time is absolutely incredible. It opens up a ton of powerful resources that myself and my team will be able to benefit from in terms of engineering prowess, research, development and racing experience from different fields. Plus, have you seen the car that they've created for me to go race in? My mind was blown when they showed it to me in Dearborn a few months ago. I absolutely cannot wait to get behind the wheel and start testing.”

Ken and Andreas will debut the Focus RS Rallycross cars at the FIA World Rallycross event in Portugal on April 15-17, so look for more information on these racers in advance of that event.

The Mod List
Power: 600 hp
Torque: 900NM. Capable of 0-60 mph/2 secs.
Body: 2016 Ford Focus RS, seam welded and reinforced. Homologated FIA-spec roll cage. Custom body design by Ford Performance and M-Sport. Bespoke underbody protection.
Engine: Ford Performance and M-Sport developed Ford EcoBoost 2.0-liter engine. Garrett Turbocharger with 45mm restrictor. Cosworth Electronics engine management. Optimized rallycross intercooler and radiator package.
Transmission: Sadev 6-Speed sequential gearbox with adjustable, mechanical front and rear differentials. Triple plate AP carbon clutch.
Suspension: SLA-type suspension, both front and rear with three-way adjustable Reiger dampers.
Brakes: Brembo four-piston calipers with 350mm rotors. Sadev Hydraulic handbrake system.
Interior: Recaro Pro-Racer Ultima, FIA-8862 spec driver’s seat (only).
Wheels: 8x17-inch wheels to suit WRX tire regulations.
Tires: WRX spec AVON race tire.

1-Rallycross-Focus-RS.jpg

Ken Block and Andreas Bakkerud will race a 600-horsepower 2016 Focus RS in the FIA World Rallycross Championship this season.

Users who are viewing this thread