6.4 psd cab off repairs, 6.7 psd lookin sexy

tj04cobra

Established Member
Thought I'd share a few pics I took today at work. Sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

2008 F-250 6.4 PSD. 129,xxx miles. Cab came off to do a hpfp.

15.jpg

14.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

tj04cobra

Established Member
2011 6.7 came in for its first oil change. These trucks are so damn nice!!! This one was a king ranch and holy crap! It's quiet too! I thought the 6.4 was quiet when it first came out, but these things have them beat big time!!

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Again sorry for the crap iphone pics and if they are too slutty ill take them down lol.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
How long did it take to get the truck torn down just to swap out the pump?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
So glad they didn't have to tear apart my BMW like that to replace the HPFP...

Love the new 6.7's. Saw a '11 F450 the other day and it was HUGE.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Just had this done to my truck. HPFP harness went bad. Thank goodness for a warranty. 76,000 miles. Supposedly only takes about 4 hours to get the cab off. You're lucky you have a lift.

6.7's are very nice. If I could swing it, I'd have one now.

Last edited:

tj04cobra

Established Member
How long did it take to get the truck torn down just to swap out the pump?

it took about 1 1/2 hours of work to get the cab off. Thats from pulling it in, to disconnecting everything needed and doing all 8 cab bolts by hand (torching the front 2 to melt the loc-tite off of them) cus I damn sure don't want to spin the cage nuts that hold them in place! Then about another 20 minutes of work or so to get the pump out.

Didn't stay focused on this truck all at once cus things got kinda hectic around the shop today. This was my second 6.4 hpfp to do this week.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Just had this done to my truck. HPFP harness went bad. Thank goodness for a warranty. 76,000 miles. Supposedly only supposed to take about 4 hours to get the cab off. You're lucky you have a lift.

The hpfp harnesses were prone to chafing in the early production trucks. Warranty is good since you would have been charged out the ass to have the cab pulled to change out a $1xx part.

DevilSun

Established Member
Wow that 2011 with the flares and lift looks really, REALLY nice. I might have to take back what I said about hating the front end now

tj04cobra

Established Member
i have a 08 6.4 and hope the day never comes where they have to do that to my truck

Even if you run the cleanest of diesel in your truck and maintain the shit out of the fuel filters, imo the 6.4 hpfp is still unpredictable at best. No way of preventing it I think.

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
Even if you run the cleanest of diesel in your truck and maintain the shit out of the fuel filters, imo the 6.4 hpfp is still unpredictable at best. No way of preventing it I think.

i figured, since mine has a spartan tuner on it im sure its not going to last long. i had a 6.0 that didnt even last 55,000 miles

tj04cobra

Established Member
i figured, since mine has a spartan tuner on it im sure its not going to last long. i had a 6.0 that didnt even last 55,000 miles

What tune do you run on it? Are you happy with Spartan? I have been reading some horror stories on their tunes and customer service.

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
What tune do you run on it? Are you happy with Spartan? I have been reading some horror stories on their tunes and customer service.

ive been running the 250 tune for awhile, and the 210 tune when i tow, i also straight piped it. ive had it for about a year and havent had any problems, the power increase is insane, im close to 1000 ft-lbs to the wheels

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I've heard the exact opposite about Spartan. The diesel boards are full of happy customers. Would like details on your info since I am about to pull the trigger on the Spartan.

tj04cobra

Established Member
ive been running the 250 tune for awhile, and the 210 tune when i tow, i also straight piped it. ive had it for about a year and havent had any problems, the power increase is insane, im close to 1000 ft-lbs to the wheels

Thats good that you have no problems with it. The power increase with the 6.4's is insane. Ford built a monster with that motor. If only the fuel system wasn't so sensitive and the turbos were more efficient with the bigger tunes to keep ebp/psi ratio closer to 1:1.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
what diesel is the best to get in your opinion since you work on all them

Ive only done research on 7.3 vs 6.0. I dont think i would buy a 6.0. need head studs and read if you dont keep up on fluid/filter changes shit fails faster and who knows if a used one got taken care of...

Last edited:

tj04cobra

Established Member
what diesel is the best to get in your opinion since you work on all them

Ive only done research on 7.3 vs 6.0. I dont think i would buy a 6.0. need head studs and read if you dont keep up on fluid/filter changes shit fails faster and who knows if a used one got taken care of...

Depends on what you want to do with the truck. IMO I love the 6.0. Yes there are a few things that need to be done to it to make it reliable, but they are awesome motors. The 7.3 is good and everybody loves how great the 7.3 was but keep in mind that the 7.3 didn't have any emissions crap on it either.

No egr coolers to fail, no egr valves to get stuck, none of that crap. An egr delete is the best thing that you could do to a 6.0. That and headstuds if you plan on running a big tune on the truck. The egr delete will lower coolant temperatures because there is no more hot exhaust gases flowing thru the cooler, super heating the coolant, breaking the coolant down and in end those cooked coolant particle finding their way into the oil cooler and restricting it. A restricted oil cooler will cause the egr cooler to blow. Coolant flows from the oil cooler to the egr cooler. A restricted oil cooler will also rupture putting oil into the coolant. Other than high pressure oil problems on the 05-07's (that there are permanant fixes for now), most of the problems with the 6.0 can be traced back to emissions and poor care by the owner.

A 7.3 wont last very long if you don't take care of it. Neither will a 6.0 and neither will a 6.4. I love the 6.4's but the high pressure fuel system is so unpredictable as I stated above.

If you want to buy a truck that is going to stay STOCK, and you don't care about power buy a 7.3.

If you want a truck that makes some good power, you don't mind putting a little money into it to making it one hell of a truck all around, buy a 6.0.

If I had to choose out of the 3 I would take a 6.0 any day of the week!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread