6.2 SRT8 vs 11 5.0

Rios302

Established Member
There is a long straight empty road that I sometimes need to take to come back to the US from Mexico. It appears as I am not the only one that knows this stretch of road because behind me I see this angry looking, low to the ground menacing looking Mopar. As soon as it seems my taillights, the driver slows down and gets behind for a moment. It quickly pulls next to me and lowers his window. As soon as I lowered my cars right window, I immediately hear the loud and intimidating growl of an free flowing 6.2 Hemi. The Challenger no doubt sounds good. The guy gives me a look and starts dropping gears and slows down to around 20 MPH, I do the same. At this point I know it's happening. I look ahead and there is nothing but a straight road that seems to disappeared as the earth starts to curved.

At this point I am thinking to myself, this challenger is going to embarrassed me pretty badly. I don't say this because it's an SRT8 but because the car in question sounds like it came straight out of hell. I take a quick glance and see some fat tires in the rear. I hesitate a little bit but once the other other driver starts honking I simply get ready. I assumed his car is in first gear, I keep mine in second, my 5.0 revs show somewhere between 4-5k

We both hit the gas pedal at around the same time, immediately I start pulling away although not by much. As I go into third I am still pulling away but I can still see the Hemi biting pretty closely. I start thinking that eventually the Hemi will start catching up and it does. As soon as the hemi hits what I think is the top of 3rd, the chally is getting closer until I go into 4th and once again I am gaining on him. I then slow down at the top of 4th gear with the chally behind at least 3 car lengths.

I slow down and give him the thumbs up, he once again lowers his window and yells that he wants to go from a dig.

I am like ok, this should be interesting. We slow down and come to a complete stop and the chally driver does one hell of a burnout and lines up next to me. I ask him what kind of tire he is running and he replies 305 Mickey Thompsons, he also tells me to honk it this time. I raised my window and honk to three. The challenger takes the jump and manages a to show me the tailights right away, I then go into second and pass him and once again start pulling away. I let go by the end of third with a 3 car lenght gap. The guy once to go once more time, once again from a roll. That time we both start at the same time, I start pulling as soon as we take off and there after.

The Challenger owner seems pretty cool so we slow down at a near PeMex gas station and check each other's ride. His main complain about his car is weight. He then tells me his car has the already mention 305 mickey Thompsons, long tube headers, x pipe and full exhaust, K&N intake, 1.5 inch drop and a custom shot from a local shop. My mods are on my sig.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
Hmmmmmmmm 6.2?? Isn't that the Hellcat motor size? I thought 6.1 or 6.4 were the regular SRT displacement, no? Nice kill on a modded "Chally"!

PS. Who says CHALLY?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP, this would be more believable if you had it on cam, but it happened on the street and anything goes. Good kill.

daves03svt

Established Member
Nice kill. Sounds like you raced a 6.1 srt. If so, a full exhaust and tuned 6.1 will only be around 400 rwhp, which combined with the added weight of the challenger compared to your 5.0, would make the story believable. A full exhaust and tuned 6.4 would be in the 440 rwhp range and most likely pull your 5.0.

bunits19714

Established Member
yeah a 6.4 would of took his lunch money especially if it was a A8- the 6.1's with the 6 speeds just don't run that good- my buddies 15 CHALLY(had to) ran 11.80's stone stock on just MT dr's. but nice kill OP.

Rios302

Established Member
Hmmmmmmmm 6.2?? Isn't that the Hellcat motor size? I thought 6.1 or 6.4 were the regular SRT displacement, no? Nice kill on a modded "Chally"!

PS. Who says CHALLY?
Yeah it was a 6.1 SRT8 Challenger. That's what the owner called his car, the Chally so that's where I got it from.

Rios302

Established Member
yeah a 6.4 would of took his lunch money especially if it was a A8- the 6.1's with the 6 speeds just don't run that good- my buddies 15 CHALLY(had to) ran 11.80's stone stock on just MT dr's. but nice kill OP.
only once have I race a stock 6.4 Scatpack although it was a manual and the driver was struggling with traction. The Scatpack was completely stock and we only run them once because the guy didn't want to race them again. There is a guy with an A8 Scatpack that has been wanting to race for a while and I am sure those are faster and easier to launch as well. His car is all stock with the exception of axle backs. I will make sure to record some footage if it happens.

my best time at the strip is 12.3 on 305-30-19 Nitto's and my car makes 400 whp. I am not sure how much of a difference a set of dr's will make but I assumed they make a bit of a difference.

bunits19714

Established Member
those a8 scats 60' like a bitch- high 1.70's stock with a good driver- they messed with the torque management on the tune of my buddies and he was 1.61's 1.60's- right up until he grenade the whole rear axle assembly- running mid 11.60's - he is a 335# plus driver also so no light weight jockey behind the wheel. my mustang struggles to pull 1.58's.159's with a dam 5c converter . better have your ducks in a row if that scat owner is a driver- they 1/8 mile well and then start to lay down- I think his best mph was only 115- car weighted 4480 with him in it.

Users who are viewing this thread