6.0 PSD Headstud Install pics.

tj04cobra

Established Member
This truck is an 03 F250. It is in awesome shape on the outside, the owner has kept it extremely clean. But its time for headstuds because the head gaskets are wasted! I believe poor tuning had alot to do with this. I wouldn't give away Banks tuning to bums.

This is what it's here for

stud7.jpg

Few pics of the truck as I get started:

stud1.jpg

stud2.jpg

I gotta remove the n-fab bars and remove the cab bolts first. Still dark outside. All of the bolts for the nfab bars were rusted. I sprayed them with pb blaster and let them soak but all of them still spun/stripped!

Resulting in.

stud6.jpg

Having to cut twelve of them. "Happy Monday, Enjoy the swift kick in the nuts, hope you had a good weekend." the bossman said :bored:.

stud5.jpg

Evacuating the AC

stud3.jpg

Yes, the coolant is black!! Smells horrible! Exhaust fumes and exhaust mixed do not smell pleasant and do burn the nose!

stud4.jpg

^Don't do it!

tj04cobra

Established Member
stud11.jpg

I got the cab in the air and a bed full of parts.

stud10.jpg

stud12.jpg

stud13.jpg

Got the intake manifold off. Time to start working on getting the heads off this truck. I hate pulling cabs on lifted trucks, not a very good level to work at.

stud14.jpg

Everything underneath the valve cover

stud15.jpg

This cylinder head is ready to come off. It is the passengers side.

stud16.jpg

This is the passenger's side head gasket and it is wasted!! Take a look at the front two cylinders where all the black is, there is no gasket left!! Going to definitely measure the cylinder head flatness on this side

stud17.jpg

Pretty much same thing with the driver side head gasket. Looks terrible.

stud18.jpg

The rocker arm carriers, rocker arms, high pressure oil rails, valve covers, rocker arm bridges and push rods all laid out nealty, everytime.

Will update as progress goes.

Last edited:

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Looks like you are organized as you take it apart. An oganized tech and a clean shop is as important as knowing how to do the work. Nice job so far!

Now you gotta talk this guy into putting 05+ front clip on it.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Looks like you are organized as you take it apart. An oganized tech and a clean shop is as important as knowing how to do the work. Nice job so far!

Now you gotta talk this guy into putting 05+ front clip on it.

An 05 clip would look good. But the headlights and grill are in excellent shape on the old style, I really like that as well. We have been pulling an ass load of cabs. We did 8 or 9 stud jobs in a two week period a little over a month ago. I thought they were never going to stop coming in. They come in waves like that it seems.

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
yep.. looks about right! and lifted trucks suck big time. they don't lift high enough. I hit my head on something, every time.

tj04cobra

Established Member
yep.. looks about right! and lifted trucks suck big time. they don't lift high enough. I hit my head on something, every time.

LOL same here. I hate them with a passion. Specially while trying to get the cab ready to come up. Jump up, down, jump up, down and so on. 2wd's and stock 4wd's are my favorites.

Before you pull the heads, do you drain the block too?

tj04cobra

Established Member
always enjoy the pics you post up! keep em coming man

Thank you. It's hard to snap pics thru out the day. Only two people in our shop and our parking lot stays full. It's busy from the minute I walk in til when I walk out 11-12 hours later and we work on just power strokes. It's fun tho, I see some crazy stuff with these damn trucks.

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
Wish like hell you were closer to me, I'd be in line for headstuds as well. Don't know that I trust anyone around here to do mine. Working 60-70 hours a week, I really don't feel like trying to do it myself. Rather someone that knows what they are doing handle it anyway. Great work so far.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Thanks for the pics. I have an 06 that is getting ready to turn 24k and just had this done. Nice to see the insides of the PSD.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Wish like hell you were closer to me, I'd be in line for headstuds as well. Don't know that I trust anyone around here to do mine. Working 60-70 hours a week, I really don't feel like trying to do it myself. Rather someone that knows what they are doing handle it anyway. Great work so far.

We had an 05 brought from Tuscaloosa two months ago for studs, so you aren't too far!!!

Last edited:

RedfireSVT

Established Member
here's a pic of my 05' diesel excursion. 83,000 miles with a custom tow tune in it, no problems with the head studs so far but i'm gonna go ahead and do the arp studs after the first of the year.

45387_1562108728339_1103960956_31680721_6253447_n.jpg

Last edited:

RedfireSVT

Established Member
That excursion is gorgeous! Hopefully you head this way with it whenever you are ready!

thanks, i love everything about it except the fuel mileage! i'll definitely let you know when i'm ready to do the headstuds.

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Nice pics, send me a price on the head stud install too.

I don't have a PSD but was thinking about buying one in the future and was comparing the price of getting a 7.3 PSD or getting a 6.0 with a blown headgasket and having it fixed correctly plus doing the right things to keep it from happening in the future.

Which would you do? Thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread