5th gear problem?!?!?!?!

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
The past week or so ive been having difficulty getting my 01 cobra to get into 5th gear if i dont slowly put it into gear it will either kick it back out or grind. the clutch and transmission were replaced and rebuilt 7k by the dealership i got it from. any ideas bent shift fork ,clutch cable,transmission fluid? also its been getting stuck in reverse sometimes. please help me im so frustrated

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Same problem here, and I know of another Cobra owner with a T45 with similar issues. IDK what the fix is; I just live with mine.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Almost same here, but mine got stuck in 5th a couple of times when I tried to go there when I couldn't get reverse in (owners manual actually say you should shift to 5th before reverse...). I found out that to get it loose I had to rev sligthly and lift the clutch until it almost stalls, then after that it was possible to get it to neutral. After doing this a couple of times it stopped sticking also.

Dunno why, but it has worked flawlessly for half a year now all the sudden. Maybe I just used to drive the Cobra to rarely or something.

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
i think im gonna get the tranny fluid changed to see if that is the culprit. what do you guys recommend?

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I'd also check your clutch cable and make sure it hasn't stretched out. That may not be the culprit since it's only 5th gear but it couldn't hurt to look.

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
no i granny shift into 5th like an old lady i pretty much baby my car everywhere i cant bring myself to drive the car that fast. i think people are idiots for rodding around anywhere over 100+ mph. o yeah speaking of old ladys i just got rear ended an hour ago by an 88yr old lady in an 89 cadillac seville thankfully she has insurance unlike the rest of the gringos and people here in oklahoma.also what tranny fluid do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

Solo500

Established Member
Changing my tranny fluid helped it feel a little smoother. Do you shift into first before trying to go into reverse? If not, you should try that. Also, try getting a new shifter the stock one sucks.

freakinout

Established Member
i have a short throw in the car but what type of fluid is everyone using?

From the 99/01 FAQ:

Q. Tranny fluid, whats the best?

A. Hard to say. Most people use either GM synchromesh (Pennzoil synchromesh is the same thing but cheaper), some use redline and others use royal purple. The stock fluid is ATF (not mercon V though)

Q. How Do I change my tranny fluid?

A. Jack up the car until it is level front and back. Get a drain pan and find the fill and drain holes. On the t45 they are on the tailshaft housing and the fill and drain are both on the passenger side of the tranny. On the tr3650 the drain is on the bottom, the fill is on the passenger side. MAKE SURE TO LOOSEN THE FILL PLUG FIRST SO YOU KNOW YOU CAN REMOVE IT. So remove the fill plug, then remove the drain plug using a 3/8s ratchet. let it drain for 20 minutes or so and then reinstall the drain plug.

Now using about 3.2 quarts of tranny fluid, get a 3/8th outerdiameter hose and a funnel. Remove the shift knob, the shift boot (pull up from the plastic surround, should come out easy.) don't remove the electrical connections, just let it hang off the side. now, remove the 4 8mm bolts that hold the rubber boot down. pull that off the shifer and then snake the hose down into the fill hole. pour the fluid in, and then reinstall the fill plug. seems complicated but its not.

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
Mine does the same thing. I let the RPMs slow down, then shift into 5th. Still grinds a little, but I pretty much just live with it.

yellow01

Established Member
I have that problem with my 3rd gear, but it grinds everytime. Mechanic told me its my sancranizer. Try checking that out.

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
update for you guys i drained the fluid today and replaced it with 3.25 quarts of royal purple and guess what it fixed the problem my transmission is the quietest it has been since i bought it and shifts really smooth. No more 5th gear problems thankfully cause the transmission was just rebuilt 7000 miles ago

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I just try to rev match mine. I estimate the engine RPM in 5th and rev it to that, and it falls right in. PITA, but it'll let me hold off a while on a rebuild.

redsvt99

Established Member
Changing my tranny fluid helped it feel a little smoother. Do you shift into first before trying to go into reverse? If not, you should try that. Also, try getting a new shifter the stock one sucks.

I shift into first before trying to go into reverse or i just let my car roll a little and it will go into reverse. sometimes it wont even go into first and i have my clutch in all the way and i have to let it roll so i can get it into first. sometimes i cant roll and i get frustrated and i just force it into first gear. not having a problems with it getting stuck in 5th though. should i be taking precautions

Users who are viewing this thread