5th gear hesatation

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Does anyone else get a hesatation when trying to excelerate in 5th gear. I will be coasting then hit the gas and get a hesatation then it goes.. Really anoying when you are trying to time a pass on the freeway.

kaos

Established Member
i've been meaning to ask something similar. it seems like i do that in all gears when i going mid throttle. it's very light but i can feel it. just cruising or going wot i don't feel it. i've only had the car for a month and i bought from a dealer. 21000 miles on it.

shadow

got snake ?
Established Member
Yea, in 5th if I let off the throttle and then punch it, there is a slight hesitation. But, if I drop it down into 3rd and nail it, no such problem :)

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
BOY DOES THAT PISS ME OFF :cuss:

The car is running lean. I asked my mechanic the same question. He knows his shit about Cobras, this what he works on for a living. He told me that the computer has the engine run lean because with real driving habits(not ours ;-) ) you do not need all that passing power at a cruising speed. Ford does not consider 5th a passing gear, especially at that low of an RPM. If you get to 100-100 mph however, the car will not hesitate. Even at half throttle and doing 80, my car does not hesitate if I slam it. But if I am less than 1/2 throttle and slam it, it will bog because the fuel system is not ready for such a sudden need of power. Not a problem though in 4th. Make sense? Just what I have told, and he is usually right. I learn more from him 30 minutes conversation that if I read an entire years subscription of MM&FF AND 5.0.

Peace...B_S

Last edited:

99SVTcobraVERT

makes sense but also in part of the irs/driveshaft slack. also will do it in most any gear at REAL low bogged rpm (ie 4th at 1000 or so rpm going very slow or 3rd going very slow at the same rpm

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I always thought that the car pulled timing not fuel..hmmm
well thats what I was told by ford...
BTW mine does it too.

Travis

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Mine never did it until I put the supercharger on... its barely noticeable, but its got a slight hesitation when I decelerate, let off the gas, and cruise at 2000RPM's and below. When I hit it... in any gear it goes, though

-Homer

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
If I hit the gas hard it will either get a load slam of gears or it will literally slow down and speed up. I am figuring the timing is being pulled but I am checking to see if anyone else has had the issue.. To say that my SVT dealers are worthless would be an understatement.. They have rebuilt my trans four times. Get a high speed vibration. Since it is over 75 they will not do anything. They also say it is normal. The car shifts like an old truck. Very choppy. That is normal too. ( According to the dealer) They replaced the rear clutches a month after a rear end leak. the rear end is starting to make noise again and I have to have them look at it. I bet that will be normal too.

Vent.. vent... vent..:fm: :bash: :gt: :mj: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Oh, I do understand that 5th is not a passing gear but sometimes down shifting to pass a slow car is more hassle than just pushing on the gas and expecting to go. At 320 HP, I should not slow down when hitting the gas. Basicly coasting to let a car in the fast lane go past then hitting the gas to switch lanes and get to fast lane speed.

RUSS 77

Established Member
vibration

This is off topic but does anyone else have that bad vibration in 5th or am I alone here?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTCobra2001
If I hit the gas hard it will either get a load slam of gears or it will literally slow down and speed up. I am figuring the timing is being pulled but I am checking to see if anyone else has had the issue.. To say that my SVT dealers are worthless would be an understatement.. They have rebuilt my trans four times. Get a high speed vibration. Since it is over 75 they will not do anything. They also say it is normal. The car shifts like an old truck. Very choppy. That is normal too. ( According to the dealer) They replaced the rear clutches a month after a rear end leak. the rear end is starting to make noise again and I have to have them look at it. I bet that will be normal too.

Vent.. vent... vent..:fm: :bash: :gt: :mj: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

After three TR3650's, that's why I have a T45....I like it much better, but I'm not saying the 3650 is a horrible tranny, it's pretty good......if you NEVER make a mistake shifting.

haven't had a prob with my rear end though.

2stangBK

Established Member
I have the same bog feeling in any gear with low RPM's. Like a dead spot or slack in the fuel supply and the system just needs a split second to catch up.

fastsnake99

top down, chrome spinnin'
Established Member
wow dont get me started on this.. around 3k rpms 2nd , 3rd gear i get major hesitation, took itin and ran dagnostics which said nothing was wrong. was wierd it just started after i gotmy rearend, tranny and clutch all replaced under warranty except clutch. im having them check my spark plugs/wires and fuel pump tomorrow . hopefully this will be the problem.

Leftywayn

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTCobra2001
Does anyone else get a hesatation when trying to excelerate in 5th gear. I will be coasting then hit the gas and get a hesatation then it goes.. Really anoying when you are trying to time a pass on the freeway.

Below 3000 RPM in fifth gear if you come off the gas then hit the gas you'll feel the drive line lash. I found this peculiar, because my '99 GT did not do this. Over 3000 RPM in 5th, it disappears.

I don't experience it anymore because I'm spending more time in 3rd and 4th gears, although my gas milege is suffering, my smiles are increasing. This car wants to be around it's happy zone, 5-6K RPM.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
I am starting to wish I bought an 1LE.. Man, what a pain in the ASS. I am tuneing the car tonight and trying an Alum DS.. Lets hope thiskills the Vib..

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Installed the Alum. DS and no more vibration.. Go figure.. The old DS is going to the dealer for them to checkout. Since they said the vibration was normal. Stupid dealers.. I have started down the path to fix all the items they tell me are normal.

firstbite

Kid Rock
Established Member
I get major hesitation in any gear when running at less than 3K, when I dip into the happy pedal it's just like "brrrrrr". This has just started and I am taking it in tomorrow as well. It just so happens I just had the rear end clutches replaced, second gear some synchros and a new head gasket under warranty. What the hell is going on. Every other day I have to take my car in for one reason or another. I am just pissed:fm:

Users who are viewing this thread