5th gear boo boo

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member
Ok this is embarrassing. I just got beat by a 4.6 Stang 2000ish model. Looked stock other than exhaust w dumps. We went from a dead stop, big mistake cause I spun those 235's completely through second. He looked to have 305's and spun some. I went to shift into third and hit 5th but it didn't go into gear. This happened twice and afterwards it either wouldn't go into 5th gear or would just pop out of 5th. All other gears were ok. Drove 5min down the road and it all appears ok now. I initially thought I blew 5th. Is this gear lockout?

SicShelby09

Banned
Ok this is embarrassing. I just got beat by a 4.6 Stang 2000ish model. Looked stock other than exhaust w dumps. We went from a dead stop, big mistake cause I spun those 235's completely through second. He looked to have 305's and spun some. I went to shift into third and hit 5th but it didn't go into gear. This happened twice and afterwards it either wouldn't go into 5th gear or would just pop out of 5th. All other gears were ok. Drove 5min down the road and it all appears ok now. I initially thought I blew 5th. Is this gear lockout?

shift forks forked.

:bash:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
sounds like you hit the gate between 3rd and 5th. Whether there's any damage is anyone's guess.

If it seems alright, it may just be.

Lewis26

Established Member
It feels ok now. I need to get some tires and learn how to it 3rd :cuss:............:read:

push directly forward and let the centering spring do the work. Dont push to the right, because that will bring you to 5th.

Open palm, and push with the bottom of your palm, the fleshy part.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ford put 235's on the new 5.0's? :shrug:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Ford put 235's on the new 5.0's? :shrug:

Depends on the car. 235's have been on S197 mustangs since their inception.

Brembo package cars get 255 section width tires.

However, you can't really look at it in a direct comparison to the SN95 chassis cars.

The chassis on the S197 cars is significantly stiffer and as such the suspension works a lot better. This allowed Ford to achieve better grip with a narrower tire. Narrow tires have better road manners, are better in inclement weather situations and provide better transient response in cornering.

Additionally, Ford used a wider wheel than the old GT's. 8.5" for standard GT's and 9" for Brembo package cars. This allowed Ford to stretch the tire on to the wheel. To an extent this increases actual contact patch slightly. It's biggest benefit however is how the car handles initial turn in. Big fat tires squeezed on to a narrow wheel can provide lots of grip, but it makes steering sluggish an inaccurate. Stretching the tire on to a slightly wider wheel makes turn in sharper, faster and more accurate.

In the end, the chassis and suspension improvements on the S197 allowed Ford to use a tire size that created a friendlier ride, better fuel economy and handling characteristics without having to sacrifice grip and road holding.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I would say there is a sacrifice in grip even with the Brembo 255s. I have traction issues, although they have been exacerbated by the Pro-Cal tune. This is, of course, straight line grip I am referring to.

Mike

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I would say there is a sacrifice in grip even with the Brembo 255s. I have traction issues, although they have been exacerbated by the Pro-Cal tune. This is, of course, straight line grip I am referring to.

Mike

For straight line grip, I feel that the Perelli PZero offered on the Brembo cars isn't the best choice.

However, on track where you're more concerned with lateral acceleration, the PZero's perform exceptionally well for a true DOT tire.

To get the best of both worlds I would go with an R compound DOT like the Azenzis RT615.

Also keep in mind that the shorter, stiffer sidewall of the 19" wheels offers less resistance to shock. So, while the grip may be increased, if you shock the tire, it won't behave like an 18" wheel/tire package with larger sidewalls. You'll have to ease in to the throttle a bit more to avoid that.

Since the Brembo package was designed as a handling package, I feel the tire choice was the right one. The drag guys are going to be picking up the base suspension cars which lends itself to straight line performance better.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
It works even better with an MGW shifter. That shifter and some new fluid completely transformed my MT-82.

Redline MTL and MGW shifter is the difference between Chinese crap and the MT82 being the best manual I've owned. The 2-3 shift is just so fun now. Straight up and you're there, even at WOT.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
For straight line grip, I feel that the Perelli PZero offered on the Brembo cars isn't the best choice.

However, on track where you're more concerned with lateral acceleration, the PZero's perform exceptionally well for a true DOT tire.

To get the best of both worlds I would go with an R compound DOT like the Azenzis RT615.

Also keep in mind that the shorter, stiffer sidewall of the 19" wheels offers less resistance to shock. So, while the grip may be increased, if you shock the tire, it won't behave like an 18" wheel/tire package with larger sidewalls. You'll have to ease in to the throttle a bit more to avoid that.

Since the Brembo package was designed as a handling package, I feel the tire choice was the right one. The drag guys are going to be picking up the base suspension cars which lends itself to straight line performance better.

I agree. I bought the Brembo car because I like the way the wheels look and the concept of the package. The only track it finds itself on is the 1/4 mile, and not frequently. However, when the tires are worn out I will choose something wider and more directed at straight line traction. I have major issues on the street. I am sure some of these issues will resolve when summer temps return, however.

Mike

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I agree. I bought the Brembo car because I like the way the wheels look and the concept of the package. The only track it finds itself on is the 1/4 mile, and not frequently. However, when the tires are worn out I will choose something wider and more directed at straight line traction. I have major issues on the street. I am sure some of these issues will resolve when summer temps return, however.

Mike

Oh yeah, if you're evaluating grip levels based on cold roads and tires, it's not going to be pretty. The PZero is a summer only tire and not designed to operate in weather below 45 degrees. In all situations, dry road or not, at or below that these tires do not grip the road. They're just not designed to.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Oh yeah, if you're evaluating grip levels based on cold roads and tires, it's not going to be pretty. The PZero is a summer only tire and not designed to operate in weather below 45 degrees. In all situations, dry road or not, at or below that these tires do not grip the road. They're just not designed to.

Keep in mind that I live in New Orleans. It is very rarely below 45 degrees, even in the dead of winter. I have had these tires out in 80+ degree weather since I got the car, and they still have problems. I am not in a rush to get new tires though. I have 7,000 miles on the car. Hoping to get 15,000 from this set. Time to rotate!

Mike

hand-filer

Established Member

I agree with your assessment of the PZero's, They are a good all around performer. I also know first hand how they turn totally evil below 45F.

Users who are viewing this thread