$57 oil change in IL

Parmgeddon

Established Member
So the story starts last week when I went to change my oil. I had my oil chnaged at Fair Oaks Ford in Naperville and they torqued the drain plug so tight I couldnt get the thing to budge and didnt want to take the chance of stripping it on the day before Thanksgiving and being screwed. So, I took it back to Fair Oaks Ford yesterday....this is were I start to get pissed! They tell me they cant get my car on any of the lifts because it sits to low (car has never been lowered) other than having 17's on it. After just under 2 hours I get called to the cashier because my car is finally done and the girl tells me that my oil change will be $57 and some change. I about fall over! I take the bill out to the service department and they tell me they had to jack it up by hand so they charged me an extra $35. After arguing with this moron I finally got the Asst. Service Mgr. who actually was helpful...he took $13 bucks off of the bill. So, I payed $44 for a F#@*in oil change because they were incompetent the first time and torqued the drain plug to tight months ago! All in all I am just venting and warning anyone in the area what an ordeal it is to deal with their service department and to consider that if they consider Fair Oaks for any work.
:fm:

sonicblue2003

Established Member
thats Bullshit they could of lifted it I had an 02 gt be4 Cobra and it was lowered about 1.5 all around, sat lower then my cobra does and I never had any trouble lifting it with a rack. i think that they were just being assholes. just my o2.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Sorry to hear it, but even oil changes are getting crazy expensive. That's close to what Jiffy Lube and those bastards charge. My mom pays like $30 for a basic oil change and lube in the Chicago 'burbs. It pains me to see people get screwed over like that.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Did they have any good magazines in the waiting area.
That always makes the price a little easier to swallow.

JP :beer:

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
Sorry dude, but even 44.00 dollars I would have walked the f*** out and told them to shove it and if they have a problem, I'll have my lawyer call them. WTF, that is some serious price gouging for an oil change. Around Omaha, prices are any where from 9.95(4cy) to highest of 90.00(Merecedes, BMW, high end stuff) We charge 24.95. We even have the lot porters wash your car.
Seriously I would call the General Manager and have a pleasant conversation about your treatment and the b.s you recieved. I have a Mach which is as low or lower than a Contour SVT and I have no prob lifting mine. First off be pleasant and professional with the GM and explain that you had your car here last oil change and they had no prob, then they torqued your plug so tight when you attempted to change it yourself but couldn't and brought it back, then they told this line about how they had trouble this time lifting your car and charged you an extra 35.00 without first consulting you about the charge, that is a big no no in the service industry.
Unfortunatly if you try to take this to court now, it's your word against theirs and would be costly, but if he is geniunely worried about customer relations he will give you your money back or the extra overage back or maybe a free oil change(but do you really want to go back). Just remember don't get your feelings involved and you should be taken care of. GOOD LUCK, or he won't and thats cause some dealers suk donkey balls lol

Last edited:

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
Change your own oil. If you are worried about stripping a plug you have no business driving a muscle car... Buy a toyota.

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
Thats true but he said he went to change it the last place tightened the bolt too tight, I personally work for a non ford dealer and just because I want to keep the warranty for 3/36 I will probably have a Ford dealer do some of my service, I have seen customers come in and no service history and the manufacturer will not pay claim for a problem, right now I have a van that looks like the oil hasn't bee changed in 10000 miles, I asked the customer to bring in receipts, it has been over a month, nada, so his van sits on the lot.
The point is, It's better to scratch their back now than try later cause you'll probably end up bent over

Parmgeddon

Established Member
Are you kidding me......

Detroit_Doc said:
Change your own oil. If you are worried about stripping a plug you have no business driving a muscle car... Buy a toyota.
1. I tried to change it myself
2. A Ford dealership should be competent enough to change oil.
3. Dont know if you realize it or not A CONTOUR SVT IS NOT A MUSCLE CAR!!!

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:

That's certainly moronic advice to give him. Anyone can strip a bolt/plug on any car ya dick head. :bash:

firstbite

Kid Rock
Established Member
Parmgedon, If you must get your oil changed at a dealer, you need to ditch Fairoaks and go to Packey Webb Ford on Roosevelt, their service department is awesome, they are also the sponser dealer for SVTOA chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread