(56K) Washington D.C.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
My mom and dad came down from Michigan for a visit so we decided to check out the Mariners Museum on Saturday and Washington D.C. on Sunday. I've been through D.C. numerous times, but I had never stopped and seen the sights until now. I can say that I'm completely humbled by what I saw. We had an awesome time.

A First Order Fresnel lens from some light house:
IMG_0187.gif

The anchor recovered from the wreck of the U.S.S. Monitor:
IMG_0195.gif

A replica of the C.S.S. Virginia (Merrimac):
IMG_0198.gif

IMG_0214.gif

IMG_0220.gif

IMG_0222.gif

Plans for the U.S.S. Monitor:
IMG_0228.gif

This is a look inside a replica of the Monitor's turret. The real turret is soaking in water and undergoing electrolysis to neutralize the salt in the steel. The process is expected to take until the year 2020 to complete. In the mean time, they made this replica of what it looked like. Upon recovering the turret from the Monitor, they never expected to uncover human remains. This particular soul, hasn't been identified, however his wedding band was still attached to the his skeleton ring finger:
IMG_0236.gif

IMG_0238.gif

A cup and saucer from the R.M.S. Titanic:
IMG_0255-1.gif

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
IMG_0263.gif

At one time, this was General Robert E. Lee’s house:
IMG_0264.gif

IMG_0265.gif

The eternal flame at President Kennedy’s tomb:
IMG_0266.gif

IMG_0267.gif

I thought this quote was awesome:
IMG_0271-1.gif

IMG_0273-1.gif

IMG_0277-1.gif

This is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. This meant the most to me out of everything at Arlington Cemetary:
IMG_0280-1.gif

IMG_0283-1.gif

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
IMG_0290-1.gif

This is the headstone to the pilot of American Airlines flight 77, the aircraft that crashed into the Pentagon on Sept. 11. I found it eerie that he died one day before his birthday via the worst attack on American soil.
IMG_0297.gif

IMG_0297-1.gif

The Air Force Monument:
IMG_0301.gif

IMG_0304.gif

IMG_0310.gif

This headstone, was among many others, that were unknown:
IMG_0316.gif

Washington Monument:
IMG_0326.gif

Lincoln Memorial:
IMG_0329.gif

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
fantastic pictures! practically in my backyard ...I can see the AF Memorial from my grandmother's apartment building. When they were building it, some guy was scaling each leg to install a light at the top ...NUTS

FranticFocus05

Established Member
Living right here I think I take it for granted and never really go.. after seeing your pictures I think this weekend I will go take a nie long walk around town.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I love DC definitely a great time seeing the sights. I spend a lot of time working in the area and try to at least give myself 1 or 2 days to sight see every time I am there. Also George Town is a great place to go drinking and has some awesome bars and night life.

Users who are viewing this thread