555's vs 555r's?

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I'm about to change up my setup just a little. I'm undecided right now. I'm looking at going with a 275/40/17 555r (17x9 rims, and I've thought about trying to squeeze 315's though) or swapping out my 2 rears for 17x10.5's and running a 315/35/17 555 (since the 555r's don't measure true, if I spend money on 17x10.5's I want a true 315). Which tire would be best for street use and a few passes a year at the local dragstrip?

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Go with the 315, 555r. They are great tires and should fit on your 9" rims. Traction is a ton better with any form of DR, compared to most street tires.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I didn't wanna cross the 315 555r's off. If I can run them on the stock 04 Cobra wheels, it'd save me tons of money and traction would probably be out of this world compared to what I'm use to (275/40 all seasons). Any other thoughts on which setup to run?

mdoan

Established Member
If you have the money for 10.5's, get 'em IMO.

Unless you're a dragger, putting 315's on 9" rims is a useless mod. Your tires will wear in about half the time, and the wear pattern will be ugly.

Not to mention, you'll lose a substantial amount of cornering grip, which, again just my opinion, defeats the purpose of driving a cobra in the first place. Like you said, if you only drag casually and are the type of driver that prefers overall feel and handling, just get the 10.5's.

The only benefit to a 315 on 9" rims is for dragging and I guess the confused thought that it's an upgrade anywhere else.

If you can't afford the new rims, go for 285's IMO. I run em and was able to get a 13.3 in the quarter w/ 4.30's; it's plenty of grip for the casual trip to the strip, your car will handle much better, and the tire is plenty big enough for sex appeal out back. My only other suggestion for the 9"+285 would be to add a spacer (3/8" is the usual I believe); reverses the sunk-in look that comes w/ the cars w/o a 10.5" rear setup.

It's all about personal taste when it comes down to it. My 2 cents.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
The 285's only come in the regular 555 though, right? I'm not set on it, but I'll be seeing much more street than track so I may stick with a 285 555 or 275 555r.

Venom351R

Established Member
I would run the 10.5's w/ the 555 R's. I run that set up on the street and I did at the drag strip for awhile as well. For occasional track use its hard to beat the Nittos for street/strip. If your more serious about the strip then I would get a separate set of rims w/ track tires only.

003-21.jpg

ctothap

Established Member
look into the nt-05's they have the same rubber as the dr's but a stiffer side-wall, which is better for cornering. with low-profile tires you dont get any flex in the tire for drag racing anyway. i have them and will never get another tire!! just my .02 cents

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I think I'm gonna try to save some money and keep 17x9's rear (at least for now). Probably 90% of my driving will be highway, I only head to the track a few times a year. I'm not familiar with any of the other nittos, so I'm all ears if you guys have something better. Treadwear is a concern, I definitely don't want anything worse than the 555r's.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
The NT-05s are a 200 treadwear compared to 100 on any of the "R"

555R, 555RII or the NT-01

The NT05s are not a drag radial either. I'm not a big fan of the nt01s, but just about all of them are a great option considering price and the amount of miles you can get out of them. :rockon:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I think I'm gonna try to save some money and keep 17x9's rear (at least for now). Probably 90% of my driving will be highway, I only head to the track a few times a year. I'm not familiar with any of the other nittos, so I'm all ears if you guys have something better. Treadwear is a concern, I definitely don't want anything worse than the 555r's.

Go with the regular 555 Extreems.

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
if it's a normal everyday tire. then get the regular 555's. i had them on my turbo'd 93 cobra and they did a great job on the street. this was with 468hp and 520tq. only had boxed stock control arms too. i run drag radials now, but that's just becuase it's a street/strip car and has more power. the dr's suck in the wetness too.

you can hear them barely hanging on in the race against the gt500. but they did! 275/40's

[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/93-Cobra-Build-Up_111935.htm]93 Cobra Build Up- Video[/ame]

Wraith_2006

Established Member
I tell you what.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 555's (normal not drag) they are great on the street, and when I am autoX they are great for that too. They handle just the way you think that your car should, and when and if the rear end breaks loose it is very predictable. I just ran a full two day weekend with 275's in the front and 285's in the rear, and unless you want to run a spacer or flip the rear he quads just go with the 285's I mean really are you going to truely utilize the extra 1 inch of tread.... and is the extra $55 dollars worth it... I have a 17x10.5 rim and they fit great, no spacer no moddifying the car, just put it on and go, and trust me I put my car through hell this weekend and I never rubbed on any components at anytime. Just my food for thought.....

Users who are viewing this thread