550 - ??? - 750 RWHP Bolt on Range

mdoan

Established Member
So I find myself at a crossroads many gt500 owners often do, looking at a pullied / intake / tuned car making 550, wanting more, but not necessarily 200 hp more.

A very modest blower upgrade jumps that straight to 670-700 RWHP with a standard Gen 2.

I was shocked by the improved throttle response from just the pulley and a good tune, so I’m optimistic what can be done by going ahead with the this gen 2 swap and ‘de-tuning’ it to a more Uber-conservative, engine reliability / driveability focus.

Just the term de-tuning seems sacrilegious, but with a 2.4” pulley on the blower already, I see only 2 options to keep power usable around 2013-2014 stock #’s: pulley up, or adjust with timing.

At that pulley size can throttle response / torque still be in near ideal range, at the right blower spin rate, or would I be better off upping pulley size?

Thanks all,

Michael

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I’m optimistic what can be done by going ahead with the this gen 2 swap and ‘de-tuning’ it to a more Uber-conservative, engine reliability / driveability focus.
Just the term de-tuning seems sacrilegious, but with a 2.4” pulley on the blower already, I see only 2 options to keep power usable around 2013-2014 stock #’s: pulley up, or adjust with timing.
At that pulley size can throttle response / torque still be in near ideal range, at the right blower spin rate, or would I be better off upping pulley size?

What? it should nearly drive like stock with any set up unless you have big cams or something. People put down 1500+hp on good tires.

mdoan

Established Member
Just trying to protect the engine w/o gutting it.

Stock throttle response is a bit underwhelming for starters, but more to the point, whether a car ‘drives like stock’ tells me nothing about its piston life, what the power/torque curves look like, what the engine was engineered to handle long-term, or if any given supercharger is over- or under-pullied (and thus falling way short of the torque curve that made us fall in love with these things).

Let me try to simplify. Can a stock motor with VMP Gen 2, 2.4” pulley, 148mm CAI, 67mm TB, and basic fuel supporting mods be tuned for ~580-600RWHP, typically very low for these mods, and still respond to throttle inputs like it has “the right parts?”

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A quality tuner can make your car do anything you want.
Not sure if you can get what you're looking for via phone / e-mail though..
( I've never had a canned tune.. )

mdoan

Established Member
A quality tuner can make your car do anything you want.
Not sure if you can get what you're looking for via phone / e-mail though..
( I've never had a canned tune.. )

Good to hear; I would’ve been surprised but you never know.

I just loaded a Vmp remote tune; next step is to datalog and / or dyno. Been very impressed with a Lund remote tune w/ prior setup. 80% of upgrades are Vmp products so it made sense to try that route this time around. Tune arrived in a day. Have to keep boost out til BAP arrives Wednesday, then we see.

Edit: Can anyone recommend a VMP tuner by name? Heard good things in general but personal refs are always best. Thanks.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Edit: Can anyone recommend a VMP tuner by name? Heard good things in general but personal refs are always best. Thanks.
Not to knock VMP, or any shop that employs several tuners, but:
1. How would the customer know who wrote the tune ?
2. If asked, ( VMP, Lund, AED, etc. ), would they tell you who wrote the tune ??

sleek98

Established Member
Not to knock VMP, or any shop that employs several tuners, but:
1. How would the customer know who wrote the tune ?
2. If asked, ( VMP, Lund, AED, etc. ), would they tell you who wrote the tune ??

The ticket system tells you who is working on your tune. I have only used Lund. First tune was Jon Sr, then blower swap went to Jon Jr then updated by Dakota when I added long tubes, then back to Jon Jr when I did the auto swap.

OP the only item that *might* cause drive-ability issues is the HUGE 148mm intake, that is serious overkill for 600 hp. Otherwise, you can leave the 2.4" pulley with 15 degrees of timing and the motor should live a long time. They will likely leave the knock senors on and let it add a couple degrees if it all looks ok. But that will likely put you in the mid 600s.

Last edited:

96gt02

Established Member
Id recommend BJ McCarty of venomous tuning over VMP, Its literally all he tunes and he will actually take the time to talk to you on phone and tell you what your car is doing as well as which mods work and dont.

outlaw07

Established Member
If you want under 600hp just leave the stock TB. I took on a 2010 GT500 that was unfinished. It has a stock throttle body even though it has a 2.9L whipple. 3.25 pulley, 1050id injectors, BAP and PMAS cai with a Lund tune. I dynoed it yesterday on a dynojet at sealevel and 65 degree air temp. It ended up running a bit rich and made 564rwp. Pretty disappointing. After that, Lund leaned it up a little and gave me 2* more timing. Havent dynoed since, because I'm upgrading the throttle body before it goes back to the dyno.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Just trying to protect the engine w/o gutting it.

Stock throttle response is a bit underwhelming for starters, but more to the point, whether a car ‘drives like stock’ tells me nothing about its piston life, what the power/torque curves look like, what the engine was engineered to handle long-term, or if any given supercharger is over- or under-pullied (and thus falling way short of the torque curve that made us fall in love with these things).

Let me try to simplify. Can a stock motor with VMP Gen 2, 2.4” pulley, 148mm CAI, 67mm TB, and basic fuel supporting mods be tuned for ~580-600RWHP, typically very low for these mods, and still respond to throttle inputs like it has “the right parts?”

Eh? You want to do blower/intake/tb swap but de tune it to put up about the same numbers that you would get with simple pulley swap on stock blower? Not sure I follow. 600-700 hp on these motors is no big deal and drivability will in fact improve. IMO I would not waste the money if you do not want to reap the benefits.....

96gt02

Established Member
You should be putting down pretty close to 650RWHP with your combo and a good TB, I dont think just a TB is going to make that much of a difference over your current numbers though maybe 30-40.

outlaw07

Established Member
Lund told me they expected 650-700 with my setup. I told them it made 564 and he sent me another tune with more timing and leaned it up a little. It's possible the guys dyno is reading low I suppose, however it's a dynojet and less than a year old. I was disappointed to here 564. It seems like more to me but this is my first car above about 450whp. I'll have a new throttle body in a few days and once it's tuned and dynoed I'll report back with the new numbers. I really hope it gets at least close to the 700 mark.

decipha

Established Member
Don't be disappointed in dyno results its just to give u a baseline for comparison wether your mods are helping or hurting. We get vehicle in all the time that read 150-200hp less on our dyno than others. Our dyno is always within' a few hp of actual hp from time slips though.

Users who are viewing this thread