$5000 to spend on my 93 lx

EFFURJDM

Established Member
Hi guys I have only had my foxbody for about 6 months and I think I want to hold on to it. Seems to be a good car.

I have 5 grand to spend and wanted to run this by my fellow mustang drivers to see if the setup I want is good , ok , bad , ect....

So was thinking of getting

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Top End Engine Kit with Black Trick Flow Street Burner Intake, Twisted Wedge Heads And Trick Flow Stage 1 Camshaft at LRS - Free Shipping!

Sealed Power MHP173-300 - Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits - Show All - SummitRacing.com

I want to stay NA for the most party , maybe run nos later on.
But I like the idea of forged pistons. Was thinking of a 303 cam.
This would be my dd awell but I only live like 10 min for work so I think it will be np .
Rebuilding tranny while I'm at it .

What else would I need to upgrade?
Fuel ?
Injectors?
Tune?

Would up grade to 373 gears
Mods on my car as of right now

Cold air intake
King cobra clutch
Camber plates
Sub frame connectors
Lowering springs
Mac equal length
Bbk o/r x pipe
Flow tech pro streets

Any input would be great
Want to get started in the next 2 months
Thx guys

th_IMAG0360.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...0/IMAG0360.jpg

Last edited:

96project

Established Member
I would get that trick flow top end kit and then use the rest of the money for supporting mods. Definatly the gears. I wouldn't be to concerned about the forged pistons right now.. As long as the engine still runs strong I wouldn't mess with tearing it all the way down yet. You can always throw in a stroker with tax money or something down the road. Just do the basic trick flow top end kit with the cam that comes with it and supporting mods and get a 75 dry shot and have it all tuned good and you'll be happy. :beer:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Top end kit, 3:73 gears, basic suspension mods, clutch, shifter, trans if needed. Maybe a 5lug swap and cobra brake upgrade.

Ford1288

Established Member
Don't touch the internals, just do the top end kit, gears, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesessiah

Established Member
agreed with the above... but a piece of advise about the exhaust setup, if you want to run mac headers get a mac mid pipe, or all bbk. bbk specifically makes fitment challenging when mixing brands. i notice you had mac equal lengths and bbk x-pipe listed.

EFFURJDM

Established Member
Thx for the input guys!

Well my car reads 300,000 + on it . I want to rebuild the motor because I was told it had 130,000 miles on it but I really don't believe that. It's has power steering leak , oil leak. The engine is dirty top to bottom and that bothers me knowing that.
The tranny has humming in 5th gear and I think throw out bearing it going. So those r my reasons to rebuilt.

EFFURJDM

Established Member
I would get that trick flow top end kit and then use the rest of the money for supporting mods. Definatly the gears. I wouldn't be to concerned about the forged pistons right now.. As long as the engine still runs strong I wouldn't mess with tearing it all the way down yet. You can always throw in a stroker with tax money or something down the road. Just do the basic trick flow top end kit with the cam that comes with it and supporting mods and get a 75 dry shot and have it all tuned good and you'll be happy. :beer:

I would hate one night I push my car hard and my motor goes. I don't know how many miles r on my car , and IMO i think it's under powered. I spin 1st real nice but I don't chirp 2nd at all :shrug:

EFFURJDM

Established Member
agreed with the above... but a piece of advise about the exhaust setup, if you want to run mac headers get a mac mid pipe, or all bbk. bbk specifically makes fitment challenging when mixing brands. i notice you had mac equal lengths and bbk x-pipe listed.

Thx for the advise !
I do have to tighten my exhaust pretty often and I was always thinking y. Now I see .
Hate exhaust leaks !

96project

Established Member
Ok then... now that you mentioned it's probably worn out. That rebuild kit you have in your first post has flat top pistons with no valve reliefs. You would be limited on cam selection with those. If you want to rebuild it yourself then here's what my plan would be:

Pistons/rebuild kit- 289/302 Ford Engine rebuild kit ( press fit or Full Floating wrist pin)
fresh bore- $80
top end kit with gaskets- 1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Top End Engine Kit with Silver Trick Flow Street Burner Intake, Twisted Wedge Heads And Trick Flow Stage 1 Camshaft at LRS - Free Shipping!
gears- $270 for 3.73's kit on latemodelrestoration.com

That totals about $3500. I would use the rest of the money to fix your transmission and maybe pay to install gears and oil and other random crap. Now if you CAN'T rebuild the engine yourself, I would recommend a 331 shortblock from coasthigh.com ($2100ish) and find some used GT40"p" heads and cobra intake on ebay or classified's... then the gears and random stuff. I recommend a 331 over the 347 since the GT40 heads and cobra intake aren't quite big enough for a 347 to breath properly. And the 331 is cheaper than their 306.. :??:

It's kinda late for me, so I'll leave it at that and add some more when I wake up and think about it some more.. Main thing is to plan it out and leave yourself some cushion money because there's going to be little things you will need to buy to get it running.

:coolman:

Last edited:

EFFURJDM

Established Member
Ok then... now that you mentioned it's probably worn out. That rebuild kit you have in your first post has flat top pistons with no valve reliefs. You would be limited on cam selection with those. If you want to rebuild it yourself then here's what my plan would be:

Pistons/rebuild kit- 289/302 Ford Engine rebuild kit ( press fit or Full Floating wrist pin)
fresh bore- $80
top end kit with gaskets- 1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Top End Engine Kit with Silver Trick Flow Street Burner Intake, Twisted Wedge Heads And Trick Flow Stage 1 Camshaft at LRS - Free Shipping!
gears- $270 for 3.73's kit on latemodelrestoration.com

That totals about $3500. I would use the rest of the money to fix your transmission and maybe pay to install gears and oil and other random crap. Now if you CAN'T rebuild the engine yourself, I would recommend a 331 shortblock from coasthigh.com ($2100ish) and find some used GT40"p" heads and cobra intake on ebay or classified's... then the gears and random stuff. I recommend a 331 over the 347 since the GT40 heads and cobra intake aren't quite big enough for a 347 to breath properly. And the 331 is cheaper than their 306.. :??:

It's kinda late for me, so I'll leave it at that and add some more when I wake up and think about it some more.. Main thing is to plan it out and leave yourself some cushion money because there's going to be little things you will need to buy to get it running.

:coolman:

Hey I'm liking your choice better ! I like the black intakes but o well . I would like to stretch my 5k as much as possible . I'll be doing the rebuild here at my house with my roommate. Could u tell me more about my cam choices between the 2 top end kits?

Hows the cam that comes with the top end kit u linked me ? Compared to say the b303 ?
I was thinking of going with the 303 cam , seems like that's a popular choice .
I want to stay with my 302 motor , want a week or 2 week project .

U recommend a tranny rebuild kit ?

Thx for your time :beer:

Last edited:

96project

Established Member
Not a problem. The only difference betweent the silver and black intake is color.. and valve cover colors. The difference between street heat and track heat heads is that the track heat doesn't have egr provisions. I would stick with the cam that they give you with the kit because it's matched to work with the intake and heads in that particular kit. Trick flow is a very good company and have a extensive R&D program, so I would take their word on what is best suited for their kit. Are there cams that can make more power? Absolutely, but there's no need to be experimenting when they've done the work for you. Atleast when you get their kit and they say that it will make 350hp (at the crank) that it WILL make 350hp. If you haven't already, just youtube that kit and it'll let you hear the cam and show you dyno runs with it on stock 5.0's.

I wouldn't say buy a rebuild kit for your transmission.. I would say take it to a transmission shop and just have them fix it. You might just need 1 small part and it might cost you $75 all together. Or if you buy the rebuild kit and have a shop do it then you might end up paying $500. But that's up to you.. depends on if you want a "new" transmission or do you want to spend that extra money elsewhere.

Just have fun. That trick flow kit is a good starter kit because it comes with the rockers and all that.. And that kit would be fine for a street stroker motor down the road. :burnout:

vfast

Established Member
I would find a nice 351 and use a stroker on it like a 408. Find some nice used aluminum heads to save some cash.

96project

Established Member
I would find a nice 351 and use a stroker on it like a 408. Find some nice used aluminum heads to save some cash.

The only problem with that is that the bigger the motor, the bigger the parts need to be. As in, you wouldn't put that trick flow top end kit on a 408.. the intake would only be good until 5000 rpms and the heads are tiny. He would atleast need a AFR 205 head and those are $1500 used MAYBE... Trick flow box intake or equivelent... $500 Shortblock.. $2500 Cam and springs... $450 not to mention headers and all the other stuff needed for the swap. Your already way over the $5000 budget. Not to mention his transmission problem and he will want a set of gears no matter what motor he gets.

As for a '03-'04 cobra swap.... WAY over budget.

vfast

Established Member
wow.. first what real gear head sticks to a budget..LOL...heads can be found for under 1k. and i'm sure doesn't have to be trickflow..an intake 350.00 used, the cam, springs i say your on point there..etc...only thing that he "has" to get with it is 'vert motor mounts..i don't think the guy is building a race car.....IMO if he shopped well for some QUALITY used parts he could make it...

The only problem with that is that the bigger the motor, the bigger the parts need to be. As in, you wouldn't put that trick flow top end kit on a 408.. the intake would only be good until 5000 rpms and the heads are tiny. He would atleast need a AFR 205 head and those are $1500 used MAYBE... Trick flow box intake or equivelent... $500 Shortblock.. $2500 Cam and springs... $450 not to mention headers and all the other stuff needed for the swap. Your already way over the $5000 budget. Not to mention his transmission problem and he will want a set of gears no matter what motor he gets.

As for a '03-'04 cobra swap.... WAY over budget.

vfast

Established Member
matter of fact i have 2 new trick flow intakes that 1 could be pry'd away from me..lol.. I also have a new cobra intake from ford.... I think i might have a set of new TF valve covers but would have to check...i know they are silver though.. i think i might have a set of edelbrock heads with 2.02 valve new in box...I got all kinds of stuff..if i can help let me know

96project

Established Member
wow.. first what real gear head sticks to a budget..LOL...heads can be found for under 1k. and i'm sure doesn't have to be trickflow..an intake 350.00 used, the cam, springs i say your on point there..etc...only thing that he "has" to get with it is 'vert motor mounts..i don't think the guy is building a race car.....IMO if he shopped well for some QUALITY used parts he could make it...

HaHa Yeah, I agree about sticking to a budget. But I just picture the op having $5000 cash sitting in front of him and that's it, since that's what he said. If you find a set of heads for under $1000 then they wont support a 408 properly... No, they don't have to be trick flow.. the closest thing to $1000 used head would probably be Vic Jr's. But cheap heads are always a gamble. And you might have a few trick flow intakes laying around but he would need the 9.5 lower. Plus the cam, motor mounts, headers, injectors, maf and tune.. plus fixing the transmission (which wont last as long behind a 408) and he will want gears. I just see a 408 adding up very quick. Now if this was just a street/strip car and not a dd then sure.. I would be all for that.

EDIT: As for QUALITY parts.. they cost a good bit to.. remember the saying cheap/fast/reliable only get 2

Last edited:

EFFURJDM

Established Member
HaHa Yeah, I agree about sticking to a budget. But I just picture the op having $5000 cash sitting in front of him and that's it, since that's what he said. If you find a set of heads for under $1000 then they wont support a 408 properly... No, they don't have to be trick flow.. the closest thing to $1000 used head would probably be Vic Jr's. But cheap heads are always a gamble. And you might have a few trick flow intakes laying around but he would need the 9.5 lower. Plus the cam, motor mounts, headers, injectors, maf and tune.. plus fixing the transmission (which wont last as long behind a 408) and he will want gears. I just see a 408 adding up very quick. Now if this was just a street/strip car and not a dd then sure.. I would be all for that.

EDIT: As for QUALITY parts.. they cost a good bit to.. remember the saying cheap/fast/reliable only get 2

I have a budget since I go to school , live on my own , and have bills like most people . If having 5g don't make me a gear head then I don't know what will lol.

@ 96 project
Yea I want to stay with what I got in front of me my 302 motor and get the trick flow kit. U make a good point sticking with the cam they have in the kit . I've heard nothing but good things about trick flow so I think it's the best choice for me.
The link I posted of the summit rebuild kit has more parts included in it then then the one u linked me I believe . Would the flat pistons in the summit kit be a problem with the trick flow ?
I appreciate all the help , this month is going to over soon so would like to have all the parts order to finish my car by the end of thanksgiving break lol
Thx again guys !

Last edited:

96project

Established Member
The main benefit of the dss pistons that I suggested was that there flycut for inline and twisted wedge heads. And to me, that's a big plus for convienence of changing heads later on if you wanted to. The dss kit comes with bearings and rings so the only thing else you would need is a gasket kit and a oil pump. The only other thing the kit you listed has are cam bearings.. I personally wouldn't worry about them unless they were messed up. (chances are not) Even though you're only changing pistons, you still need to rebalance your rotating assembly don't forget. Wouldn't hurt to have a machine shop polish the crank while it's out so it's all fresh and ready to go. Worth $30 in my opinion. Anymore questions just ask. I'm no pro but I enjoy spending other peoples money. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread